Thermodynamics - Pressure Question

In summary, the conversation discusses the pressure and operation of a pressure cooker, and how the gage pressure takes into account the atmospheric pressure when calculating the actual pressure inside the cooker. The difference between gauge pressure and vacuum pressure is also clarified.
Icetray
[SOLVED] Thermodynamics - Pressure Question

Homework Statement

A pressure cooker cooks a lot faster than an ordinary pan by maintaining a higher pressure and temperature inside. The lid of a pressure cooker is well sealed, and steam can escape only through and opening in the middle of the lid. A separate metal piece , the petcock, sits on top of this opening and prevents steam from escaping until the pressure force overcomes the weight of the petcock. The periodic escape of the steam in this manner prevents any potentially dangerous pressure buildup and keeps the pressure inside at a constant value. Determine the mass of the petcock of a pressure cooker whose operations pressure is 100 KPa gage and has an opening cross-sectional area of 4 mm^2 . assume an atomspheric pressure of 101 KPa, and a draw of the petcock

My Question:

I already have the solution to this question and it is stated that:

Atmospheric pressure is acting on all surfaces of the petcock, which balances itself out. Therefore, it can be disregarded in calculations if we use the gage pressure as the cooker pressure. A force balance on the petcock (ƩFy = 0) yields

Here is the diagram given:

5H40m.jpg

If the atmpospheric pressure is still pushing down on the petcock, how can we just ignore it?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Icetray said:
If the atmpospheric pressure is still pushing down on the petcock, how can we just ignore it?
You don't ignore it. You just do not have to take it into account explicitly if you use the gage pressure in the pot. The gage pressure takes it into account for you.

The actual pressure in the pot is Pactual = Pgage + Patm.

AM

Andrew Mason said:
You don't ignore it. You just do not have to take it into account explicitly if you use the gage pressure in the pot. The gage pressure takes it into account for you.

The actual pressure in the pot is Pactual = Pgage + Patm.

AM

Thanks for your reply Andrew Mason!

So basically whenever the term gauge pressure is used, it gives you the difference between the internal and atmospheric pressure?

I thought that was P[itex]_{vacuum}[/itex]? My notes shows a diagram of P[itex]_{vacuum}[/itex] and P[itex]_{guage}[/itex]. The P[itex]_{vacuum}[/itex] one shows like it gives you the resultant pressure between the atmosphere and the internal pressure (image below) which looks more like what we have in the diagram in my first post.

1ruSW.jpg

I apologize if I'm not making any sense but I'm still very lost even though I understand what you're saying. ):

Icetray said:
So basically whenever the term gauge pressure is used, it gives you the difference between the internal and atmospheric pressure?

I thought that was P[itex]_{vacuum}[/itex]?
As your diagram says:
[tex]P_{gauge} = P_{abs}-P_{atm}[/tex]
[tex]P_{vac} = P_{atm}-P_{abs}[/tex]
So, while Pgauge and Pvac both "give the difference between internal (abs) and atmospheric pressure", they are not the same.

Redbelly98 said:
As your diagram says:
[tex]P_{gauge} = P_{abs}-P_{atm}[/tex]
[tex]P_{vac} = P_{atm}-P_{abs}[/tex]
So, while Pgauge and Pvac both "give the difference between internal (abs) and atmospheric pressure", they are not the same.

Ah! I feel so silly now. :-X Anyways thanks guys! (:

1. What is pressure in thermodynamics?

In thermodynamics, pressure is defined as the amount of force that is applied to a unit area of a surface. It is often described as the force per unit area and is measured in units of Pascals (Pa) or Newtons per square meter (N/m²).

2. How does pressure affect thermodynamic systems?

Pressure plays a crucial role in thermodynamics as it can affect the volume, temperature, and energy of a system. In general, an increase in pressure leads to a decrease in volume and an increase in temperature, while a decrease in pressure results in an increase in volume and a decrease in temperature.

3. What is the relationship between pressure and temperature in thermodynamics?

The relationship between pressure and temperature in thermodynamics is known as the ideal gas law, which states that the pressure of an ideal gas is directly proportional to its temperature and the number of moles of gas present, while inversely proportional to its volume.

4. How do you calculate pressure in a thermodynamic system?

The pressure in a thermodynamic system can be calculated using the formula P = F/A, where P is the pressure, F is the force applied, and A is the area on which the force is acting. In some cases, the ideal gas law can also be used to calculate pressure in a system.

5. What are some real-life examples of pressure in thermodynamics?

Some common examples of pressure in thermodynamics include the pressure inside a car tire, the pressure inside a water bottle, and the pressure inside a gas cylinder. Pressure is also used in various industrial processes, such as in boilers to generate steam, in refrigeration systems, and in hydraulic systems.