Thermodynamics - PV Diagram of an Ideal Gas

In summary, the homework statement states that an ideal gas is a substance that absorbs heat by conduction only. The equation for the heat absorbed on the different paths is easy to calculate, and the answer is 11/2nkt1.
Maybe_Memorie
Thermodynamics -- PV Diagram of an Ideal Gas

Homework Statement

Right, I've got a PV diagram attached to make this easier to explain. The substance is an ideal gas.

I need to calculate the heat absorbed along the different paths ACB, ADB and AB. The first two are easy. The red lines in the diagram are isotherms.

Homework Equations

PV = NKT for an ideal gas.

QAB = ΔU + ΔW = ΔU + PΔV, U is internal energy, U = U(T) = CVT

For a monatomic ideal gas, CV = 3/2

The Attempt at a Solution

The change in internal energy is obviously just 3/2NK(4T1 - T1) = 9/2NKT1

The work done is P1(2V1 - V1) = NKT1

Thus the heat absorbed on the path AB is 11/2NKT1. My problem is the solution manual says it's 6NKT1.

It also says that ΔU + ΔW = 3/2(NK)(2T1) + 3/2P1V1 = 6NKT1 which obviously isn't true so I'm questioning it's integrity. It uses the fact that QAB = 6NKT1 in the proceeding problems as well so it's a little confusing.

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• THERMO.png
    THERMO.png
    4.6 KB · Views: 473
Physics news on Phys.org
The answer book is correct. For path AB, the average pressure is 3/2P1, and the volume change is V1.

Chet

Maybe_Memorie said:

Homework Statement

Right, I've got a PV diagram attached to make this easier to explain. The substance is an ideal gas.

I need to calculate the heat absorbed along the different paths ACB, ADB and AB. The first two are easy. The red lines in the diagram are isotherms.

Homework Equations

PV = NKT for an ideal gas.

QAB = ΔU + ΔW = ΔU + PΔV, U is internal energy, U = U(T) = CVT

For a monatomic ideal gas, CV = 3/2

The Attempt at a Solution

The change in internal energy is obviously just 3/2NK(4T1 - T1) = 9/2NKT1

The work done is P1(2V1 - V1) = NKT1

Thus the heat absorbed on the path AB is 11/2NKT1. My problem is the solution manual says it's 6NKT1.

It also says that ΔU + ΔW = 3/2(NK)(2T1) + 3/2P1V1 = 6NKT1 which obviously isn't true so I'm questioning it's integrity. It uses the fact that QAB = 6NKT1 in the proceeding problems as well so it's a little confusing.

Thanks for any help.
Chestermiller is right. The area under the graph from A-B is (P1+P2)(V2-V1)/2 = 3P1V1/2.

However, if the book says ΔU + ΔW = 3/2(NK)(2T1) + 3/2P1V1 , that is not correct. ΔU = 3/2(NK)(3T1) as you have noted.

AM

Thank you!

The solutions manual may have made a mistake in their calculation for the heat absorbed on the path AB. Your calculation (11/2NKT1) seems to be correct, as it takes into account the change in internal energy and the work done by the gas. The solution manual's calculation (6NKT1) only takes into account the work done by the gas, but neglects the change in internal energy. This may be a typo or error in their solution. It is important to always double check your calculations and assumptions when solving thermodynamics problems.

What is a PV diagram and how is it used in thermodynamics?

A PV (pressure-volume) diagram is a graphical representation of the relationship between pressure and volume for a system, often used in thermodynamics. It is used to visualize the changes in pressure and volume of a system as it undergoes different processes, such as isothermal, adiabatic, or isobaric processes.

What is an ideal gas and how does it behave on a PV diagram?

An ideal gas is a theoretical gas that follows the ideal gas law, which describes the relationship between pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles. On a PV diagram, an ideal gas behaves as a straight line when undergoing isothermal, adiabatic, or isobaric processes.

What is the difference between an isothermal and adiabatic process on a PV diagram?

An isothermal process on a PV diagram occurs at a constant temperature, while an adiabatic process occurs without any heat exchange with the surroundings. This means that for an adiabatic process, the temperature of the system can change, while for an isothermal process, the temperature remains constant.

How is work calculated on a PV diagram for an ideal gas?

Work on a PV diagram is represented by the area under the curve of the process. For an ideal gas, work can be calculated using the equation W = PΔV, where P is the pressure and ΔV is the change in volume.

What are some real-life applications of PV diagrams and ideal gas behavior?

PV diagrams and ideal gas behavior are used in many real-life applications, such as in the design of engines, refrigeration systems, and air compressors. They are also used in studying atmospheric conditions and weather patterns, as well as in understanding the behavior of gases in industrial processes.