Thermodynamics question; internal energy and heat?

In summary: You're welcome. Just remember that when dealing with monatomic gases, the specific heat at constant pressure is always \frac{5}{2}R.
name_ask17

Homework Statement

A helium balloon with a volume of 1m^3 and temperature of 27 deg c is placed in liquid nitrogen in an open container and cools to a temperature of 77 K. Assume that helium behaves like an ideal gas at constant atmospheric pressure and find the new volume of the gas in the balloon, the change in internal energy of the gas, the work done during the process, and the heat removed from the gas.

i got the new volume=.257m^3
and i got the work with constant pressure=73400J
but i can't get the internal energy and the heat

Homework Equations

Q=mcT
U=Q+W

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to find the number of moles and then find the mass to plug it into Q=mct to find Q, but I am not getting the correct answer. Please help

Physics news on Phys.org
I got a slightly different answer for the work done on the gas. Also, what are you using for the specific heat capacity when calculating Q?

i know the answers should be -185506J for the gas and U=-111506J but i don't know how to get there. i feel like i am doing this problem completley wrong.

name_ask17 said:
i know the answers should be -185506J for the gas and U=-111506J but i don't know how to get there. i feel like i am doing this problem completley wrong.
Are you using [itex]Q = nC_p\Delta T[/itex]? What would you use for Cp?

Once you have determined the change in volume and the heat flow (out of the gas) you can determine the work done on the gas and then just apply the first law to find the change in internal energy.

You can also calculate the change in internal energy directly. What is the relationship between change in internal energy and change in temperature?

AM

Andrew Mason said:
Are you using [itex]Q = nC_p\Delta T[/itex]? What would you use for Cp
Would i use the specific heat of helium?

name_ask17 said:
Would i use the specific heat of helium?
Use the specific heat at constant pressure: Cp = R + R(no. of degrees of freedom)/2

Btw, the answers you have given do not appear to be correct. You can see this is the case simply from the relationship between Q, W and U. Changes in Q, U and W are all negative. Therefore, the magnitude of Q must equal the magnitude of the change in U + magnitude of the work done on or by the gas, so |Q| > |U| and |Q|>|W|.

AM

Last edited:
what is R in the equation?

Last edited:
and also when i do that, i have to find the mass to use mcT, so i used the volume divided by 22.4, then multiplied it by the molar mass of helium (4) to get .17857------is that what I am supposed to use for the mass?

also, these were the answers given by the instructor so they should be correct; we have to prove why they are correct.

name_ask17 said:
what is R in the equation?
R = gas constant in J/K mol

AM

im still confused because it did nto give me the right answer.

name_ask17 said:
and also when i do that, i have to find the mass to use mcT, so i used the volume divided by 22.4, then multiplied it by the molar mass of helium (4) to get .17857------is that what I am supposed to use for the mass?

It is easier to use moles. Mass is irrelevant and using it simply complicates the algebra. First calculate V/T which, from the ideal gas law, we know is equal to the number of moles x R/P:

[tex]nR/P = V/T[/tex]

Since there has been no change in P, or n and R is a constant, the ratio of V/T is constant and so is nR = PV/T

[tex]\Delta Q = nC_p\Delta T = nR\frac{7}{2}\Delta T[/tex]

and

[tex]\Delta U = nC_v\Delta T = nR\frac{5}{2}\Delta T[/tex]

also, these were the answers given by the instructor so they should be correct; we have to prove why they are correct.
And if they aren't correct you have to show why they are not correct.

AM

alrighty. thanks

name_ask17 said:
alrighty. thanks
I have to apologize. I read helium and thought H2 for some reason. Of course, this is a monatomic gas with Cv = 3/2 and Cp =5/2, so the answers given by your teacher ARE correct if [itex]\Delta Q = -185,506 J[/itex] and [itex]\Delta U = -111,506 J[/itex]. Sorry about any confusion I may have caused.

AM

That's okay. Thank you for clearing it up.

wait. so how am i supposed to find the heat removed? can you show me a formula because i tried everything from Q=mcT and Q=nCT? please help

name_ask17 said:
wait. so how am i supposed to find the heat removed? can you show me a formula because i tried everything from Q=mcT and Q=nCT? please help
Since the process occurs at constant pressure, the heat lost is just:

[tex]\Delta Q = nC_p\Delta T[/tex]

where [itex]C_p = \frac{5}{2}R[/itex]

AM

1. What is internal energy?

Internal energy is the sum of all the microscopic forms of energy (such as the kinetic and potential energy of the molecules) within a system. It is a state function, meaning it depends only on the current state of the system and not on how the system got to that state.

2. How is internal energy related to heat?

Internal energy and heat are closely related, but they are not the same thing. Heat is the transfer of energy between two objects or systems due to a temperature difference. Internal energy, on the other hand, is the total energy of a system, including the energy transferred as heat. In other words, heat is a form of energy transfer, while internal energy is a form of energy that a system possesses.

3. What is the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics is the principle of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. This means that the total change in the internal energy of a system is equal to the heat transferred into the system minus the work done by the system.

4. How does the internal energy of a system change?

The internal energy of a system can change in three ways: through heat transfer, work done by or on the system, and through change in the mass of the system. When heat is added to a system, its internal energy increases, and when heat is removed, its internal energy decreases. Work done by or on the system also affects its internal energy, while a change in the mass of the system can change the total internal energy.

5. What are some real-life applications of thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics has numerous applications in our daily lives, including in the design and operation of engines, refrigerators, air conditioners, and power plants. It also plays a crucial role in understanding and predicting weather patterns, chemical reactions, and the behavior of materials and substances. Additionally, thermodynamics is used in the study of biological systems, such as metabolism in living organisms.