Thermodynamics, two engine device

In summary: ERICAN POLITICSIn summary, the two engines are running in series, and the overall efficiency is the total work output divided by the energy put into the first engine by heat.
zandbera

Homework Statement

Suppose you build a two-engine device with the exhaust energy output from one heat engine supplying the input energy for a second heat engine. We say that the two engines are running in series. Let e1 and e2 represent the efficiencies of the two engines. (a) The overall efficiency of the two-engine device is defined as the total work output divided by the energy put into the first engine by heat. Show that the overall efficiency is given by:
e = e1 + e2 - e1e2

Homework Equations

e = Weng / |Qh| = 1 - |Qc| / |Qh|
e = 1 - Tc/Th

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the first engines Qc is supplying the Qh for the second engine, I said Qc1 = Qh2, and then I tried using that equality in the first formula there but I don't think that's working out for me

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Write down the expression for e1 and e2.
From these expression find the ratios of Qc1/Qh1 and Qc2/Qh2.
If you multiply these ratios you, will get the overall efficiency.

assuming that Qc1 = Qh2,

e1 = 1 - Qc1/Qh1
e2 = 1 - Qc2/Qc1

Qc1/Qh1 = e1 - 1
Qc2/Qc1 = e2 - 1

multiplying them, i get e1e2 - e1 - e2, which is -1 times the answer I am trying to show. why is this?

zandbera said:
assuming that Qc1 = Qh2,

e1 = 1 - Qc1/Qh1
e2 = 1 - Qc2/Qc1

Qc1/Qh1 = e1 - 1
Qc2/Qc1 = e2 - 1

multiplying them, i get e1e2 - e1 - e2, which is -1 times the answer I am trying to show. why is this?

Your simplification is wrong.
Qc1/Qh1 = e1 - 1
Qc2/Qc1 = e2 - 1

it should be
Qc1/Qh1 = 1 -e1
Qc2/Qh2 = 1 - e2

thank you i got it now.
one question though: how do you know to multiply the ratios? as far as i understand, it gives you the efficiency for Qc2 / Qh1 so that would be like the energy input from the first engine to the energy output of the second engine so it would be the efficiency for the entire cycle?

Work done in the first engine = Qh1 - Qc1 = Qh1*e1 = Qh1 - Qh2...(1)
Work done in the second engine = Qh2 - Qc2 = Qh2*e2...(2)
So the total work done = Qh1 - Qc2 = Qh1*e1 + Qh2*e2...(3)
From the equation (1) Qh2 = Qh1 - Qh1e1
Put this value in eq. (3) and find the efficiency.

zandbera said:
thank you i got it now.
one question though: how do you know to multiply the ratios? as far as i understand, it gives you the efficiency for Qc2 / Qh1 so that would be like the energy input from the first engine to the energy output of the second engine so it would be the efficiency for the entire cycle?
Overall efficiency is:
[tex]\eta_T = 1 - \frac{Q_{c2}}{Q_{h1}}[/tex]

But:

[tex]\frac{Q_{c2}}{Q_{h1}} = \frac{Q_{c2}}{Q_{c1}} \frac{Q_{c1}}{Q_{h1}}[/tex]

And since:

[tex]\frac{Q_{c1}}{Q_{h1}} = 1 - \eta_1[/tex] and

[tex]\frac{Q_{c2}}{Q_{c1}} = \frac{Q_{c2}}{Q_{h2}} = 1 - \eta_2[/tex]

So:

[tex]\eta_T = 1- (1-\eta_1)(1-\eta_2)[/tex]AM

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the relationships between heat, work, temperature, and energy.

2. How does a two engine device work?

A two engine device, also known as a dual engine device, utilizes two separate engines to convert heat energy into mechanical work. The first engine, known as the heat engine, converts heat energy into mechanical work. The second engine, known as the cold engine, uses the remaining heat energy to produce a temperature difference, which can then be used to do more work.

3. What is the purpose of a two engine device?

The purpose of a two engine device is to increase the efficiency of converting heat energy into mechanical work. By using two engines, the remaining heat energy that would normally be wasted in a single engine system can be utilized to do more work, resulting in a more efficient system.

4. How is the efficiency of a two engine device calculated?

The efficiency of a two engine device is calculated by dividing the work output by the heat energy input. In other words, it is the ratio of the useful work produced by the device to the total amount of heat energy put into the device.

5. What are some real-world applications of two engine devices?

Two engine devices have many real-world applications, including refrigerators, air conditioners, and heat pumps. They are also used in power plants to generate electricity and in automobiles to improve fuel efficiency.