Thermodynamicsish problem problems

• Thread starter seang
  • Start date
In summary: This is done by multiplying the three forces together and then dividing by the mass of the piston, m:(W+p_a+p_i)/.5m^3 = 0So the pressure inside the cylinder is:p_i = (5kg)(287J)(373K)/.5m^3 = 2,811kPa
seang
This is problem one on my worksheet, and all the rest I've found to be easier, so I'm thinking I'm missing something here:

A vertical cylinder fitted with a frictionless piston contains air at 100C The piston has an unknown m and a diameter of .150mm, and the ambient pressure outside the cylinder is 101kPa. If the cylinder volume is 500 liters and the mass of the air is 5kg, what is the piston mass, m?

I calculated the pressure inside the cylinder and it is huge. That means the piston would accelerate upwards. Since the sum of the forces on the piston must equal its mass times acceleration, I used something like (AFTER i had obtained the inner pressure):

p(sys)*a(piston) - p(ambient)*a(piston) - mass(piston)*gravity = mass(piston)*acceleration(piston)

The trouble is, is that i know neither the acceleration or the mass of the piston. THe only way this can work is if I assume that the piston is not moving, but I don't think I can just assume that?

Physics news on Phys.org
seang said:
This is problem one on my worksheet, and all the rest I've found to be easier, so I'm thinking I'm missing something here:

A vertical cylinder fitted with a frictionless piston contains air at 100C The piston has an unknown m and a diameter of .150mm, and the ambient pressure outside the cylinder is 101kPa. If the cylinder volume is 500 liters and the mass of the air is 5kg, what is the piston mass, m?

I calculated the pressure inside the cylinder and it is huge. That means the piston would accelerate upwards. Since the sum of the forces on the piston must equal its mass times acceleration, I used something like (AFTER i had obtained the inner pressure):

p(sys)*a(piston) - p(ambient)*a(piston) - mass(piston)*gravity = mass(piston)*acceleration(piston)

The trouble is, is that i know neither the acceleration or the mass of the piston. THe only way this can work is if I assume that the piston is not moving, but I don't think I can just assume that?
I don't see anything that suggests it is moving so assume it is at rest. What is the force on the piston at rest? So the weight + atmospheric pressure x area has to equal the pressure inside the cylinder x area. The key is figuring out the pressure inside the cylinder. Show us how you are calculating that.

Note: the area of the cylinder must be .150 m, not .150 mm.

AM

Last edited:
Using Ideal gas law: Psys = ((5kg)(287J)(373K))/.5m^3

The idea is to assume that the piston is in equilibrium. The piston experiences three forces:

its weight downwards [itex]W[/itex]
the downwards force on it due to atmospheric pressure pushing on it [itex]p_a[/itex]
and the upwards force due to the pressure of the air inside of it [itex]p_i[/itex]

these three forces need to cancel out.

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the relationships between heat, energy, and work. It studies the behavior of systems and their transformations from one state to another.

2. What is a thermodynamics problem?

A thermodynamics problem is a question or scenario that involves applying the fundamental principles of thermodynamics to analyze and solve a specific situation or system.

3. What are some common problems in thermodynamics?

Common problems in thermodynamics include calculating the efficiency of a heat engine, determining the change in internal energy of a system, and analyzing the behavior of a gas under different conditions.

4. How do you approach a thermodynamics problem?

The first step in approaching a thermodynamics problem is to clearly define the system and the given conditions. Then, apply the relevant thermodynamic laws, such as the first and second laws of thermodynamics, to solve for the desired quantity.

5. Why is thermodynamics important in science?

Thermodynamics is important in science because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of physical systems, such as engines, refrigerators, and chemical reactions. It also has applications in fields such as engineering, chemistry, and biology.