1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thevenin Equal Resistance - Strange Circuit

1. Feb 15, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I want to find Rτ (Thevenin Equal Resistance) if the load is R4 in the attached image's circuit.
    As easy it may seem, I get confused because it asks for the equal resistance between A and B.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

We remove the voltage sources and s/c them. Then we have: R1 is parallel to (R2+R3) -> R1//(R2+R3).
    R5 parallel to the rest. So we have in total: Rτ= [R1//(R2+R3)] // R5

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2009 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF :smile:

I see no current sources in the figure, those are voltage sources. So, what do we do with voltage sources?

Also, note R2 & R3 are not actually in series. Because node A has a path leading to R4, they (R2 & R3) do not have an equal current going through them.

4. Feb 15, 2009 #3
    Sorry my mistake. I meant Voltage sources. I need to find the Thevenin Equivalent Resistance if i take R4 as the load. So I replace voltage sources with short-circuit and also remove the load R4. From this point could you help me figure out the connections of the resistors ?

Thanks again...

5. Feb 15, 2009 #4
    Your approach looks ok. But the calculations are wrong. Check again how to calculate the paralleled resistances. Have you gotten ET already?

6. Feb 15, 2009 #5
    I haven't done any calculations yet, I just indicated how I think the resistors are connected. No I just want to find RT

7. Feb 15, 2009 #6
    Oh, okay. I thought those //'s were division marks.

8. Feb 15, 2009 #7

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I would redraw the figure (with voltage sources shorted), with "A" at the very top and "B" at the bottom. Redraw/move the resistors around until you see some that are in parallel or series, and combine them.

9. Feb 15, 2009 #8
    I came up with this one, but the equivalent is different than the first one i posted ( Rτ= [R1//(R2+R3)] // R5 )

In this case it is: RΤ=[(R1+R2)//R3 + R5]

Please give me any hint as I am very confused.
    Thanks a lot

Attached Files:

10. Feb 16, 2009 #9
    I'm not sure if this is any help to you, but what can be said about any open circuit (i.e. unconnected wires)?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  11. Feb 16, 2009 #10

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There's some problems with your figure. Just for example, R2 should connect between A & B, after Vs2 is shorted.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook