How Does Adding a Resistor Affect Thevenin Equivalents?

In summary: Remember, an ideal current source will produce ANY voltage required to maintain its specified current. So no matter how much voltage is dropped across a resistor that's in series with it, you'll still get the same current coming out of the combination.
LongApple

Homework Statement

I'm having problems with PF's cut and paste images. They are not showing up on the actual webpage only on my editor.

See these:
http://i.imgur.com/mKfn27m.png
http://i.imgur.com/jCO2JRM.png
http://i.imgur.com/oUWFsuI.png

I created the above problem by modifying this problem on mitx:
http://i.imgur.com/PE0eSLC.png <--(I don't care about the solution for this, I care about the solution for the question I wrote above)

Quesiton A - What current is this? THe one going through R2
Question B- is V_th = capital i * R2?
The last question, Question C is "does R3 contribute anything now?"

I created this problem though it is loosely based on the original problem on mitx's website except I have added one resistor at R3

Homework Equations

V=IR I bet.

The Attempt at a Solution

See above pisI created this problem though it is loosely based on the original problem on mitx's website except I have added one resistor

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Delete accidental post (there were problems with the image pasting on PF). Ultimately, I've decided to use imgur instead because it is not giving me the same problems as PF's image copy and paste.

Attachments

• upload_2015-2-9_23-26-48.png
    upload_2015-2-9_23-26-48.png
    82.9 KB · Views: 475
  • upload_2015-2-9_23-27-2.png
    upload_2015-2-9_23-27-2.png
    82.9 KB · Views: 478
Last edited:
Delete accidental post

LongApple said:
Delete accidental post (there were problems with the image pasting on PF). Ultimately, I've decided to use imgur instead because it is not giving me the same problems as PF's image copy and paste.
Just upload your images. Hit the "UPLOAD A FILE" button.

With regard to your question, the added resistor does not effect the circuit at all. A branch with a current source will pump out the same current regardless of what the current source is in series with. And an open circuit (the hanging resistor) does nothing if no current can flow through it.

gneill said:
With regard to your question, the added resistor does not effect the circuit at all. A branch with a current source will pump out the same current regardless of what the current source is in series with. And an open circuit (the hanging resistor) does nothing if no current can flow through it.

V_TH=R2?
and VTH=R2?

Somehow that does not sit well in my mind. What is R3 was ten billion ohms? Shouldn't that do something?

LongApple said:
V_TH=R2?
and VTH=R2?
I'm not sure what you mean here. A resistance is not a voltage.

But with or without your new resistor, the circuits will behave identically (from the point of view of the load) and will have the same Thevenin or Norton equivalents.
Somehow that does not sit well in my mind. What is R3 was ten billion ohms? Shouldn't that do something?
Well, it'll generate a LOT of heat with the current that flows through it.

Remember, an ideal current source will produce ANY voltage required to maintain its specified current. So no matter how much voltage is dropped across a resistor that's in series with it, you'll still get the same current coming out of the combination.

Related to How Does Adding a Resistor Affect Thevenin Equivalents?

1. What is Thevenin's theorem?

Thevenin's theorem is an electrical circuit analysis technique that allows a complex circuit to be simplified to an equivalent circuit with a single voltage source and a single resistance. This equivalent circuit is known as the Thevenin equivalent circuit.

2. How is Thevenin's theorem used?

Thevenin's theorem is used to simplify complex circuits and make them easier to analyze and understand. This is particularly useful in the design and troubleshooting of electronic circuits.

3. What is Thevenin voltage?

Thevenin voltage is the voltage at the output terminals of the Thevenin equivalent circuit. It is equal to the open circuit voltage of the original circuit.

4. What is Thevenin resistance?

Thevenin resistance is the resistance of the Thevenin equivalent circuit. It is equal to the total resistance of the original circuit seen from the output terminals when all voltage and current sources are replaced by their internal resistances.

5. What are the limitations of Thevenin's theorem?

Thevenin's theorem is only applicable to linear circuits that do not contain any dependent sources. It also assumes that the circuit is in steady state and that all components are operating within their linear regions. Additionally, the theorem is not accurate for circuits with high-frequency components or for circuits with significant parasitic elements.