This magnet question confounds me

• Thread starter lodovico
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnet
In summary, the conversation was about a practice AP multiple choice question involving a B-field, constant velocity, radius, and charge. The question asked which graph shows the relationship between B-field and radius, with the hint that the radius gets smaller as the B-field gets larger. The two answer choices discussed were a straight line with a negative slope and the (1/x) graph. The student ultimately chose the (1/x) graph based on the equations Fc=mv^2/r and Fb=qvB, treating mv and q as constants. This shape on the graph is also known as the Larmor radius.
lodovico

Homework Statement

Today, my teacher gave us some practice AP multiple choice and my friend and I were debating between answer choices H and J (changed from A and B to remove any confusion) the question as i remember it:
blah blah... B-field into the page, constant velocity v, radius R and charge q. which graph shows the relationship between B-field and radius.. something with radius getting smaller as B-field gets larger

Choice H: this is a straight line coming from +y crossing the +x axis (basically a straight negative slope)

Choice J: the (1/x) graph with x>0

Homework Equations

Fc = mv^2/r
Fb= qvB

The Attempt at a Solution

Fc=Fb
[itex]\frac{mv^2}{r}[/itex]=qvB
[itex]\frac{mv}{r}[/itex]=qB
since mv and q are constants, is it ok to treat them as 1? that is what i did so...

[itex]\frac{1}{r}[/itex]=B
[itex]\frac{1}{B}[/itex]=r

since on the graphs r was the y-axis and B was the x-axis

i chose the (1/x) shaped graph

Physics news on Phys.org
lodovico said:

Homework Statement

Today, my teacher gave us some practice AP multiple choice and my friend and I were debating between answer choices H and J (changed from A and B to remove any confusion) the question as i remember it:
blah blah... B-field into the page, constant velocity v, radius R and charge q. which graph shows the relationship between B-field and radius.. something with radius getting smaller as B-field gets larger

Choice H: this is a straight line coming from +y crossing the +x axis (basically a straight negative slope)

Choice J: the (1/x) graph with x>0

Homework Equations

Fc = mv^2/r
Fb= qvB

The Attempt at a Solution

Fc=Fb
[itex]\frac{mv^2}{r}[/itex]=qvB
[itex]\frac{mv}{r}[/itex]=qB
since mv and q are constants, is it ok to treat them as 1? that is what i did so...

[itex]\frac{1}{r}[/itex]=B
[itex]\frac{1}{B}[/itex]=r

since on the graphs r was the y-axis and B was the x-axis

i chose the (1/x) shaped graph

Yes, it is known as the Lamor Radius:

http://www-fusion.ciemat.es/fusionwiki/index.php/Larmor_radius

:smile:

What is a magnet?

A magnet is an object that produces a magnetic field, which is a force that can attract or repel certain materials, such as iron, nickel, and cobalt.

How do magnets work?

Magnets work due to the alignment of electrons within the material they are made of. These aligned electrons create a magnetic field, which can interact with other magnetic fields, causing attraction or repulsion.

Why do magnets attract certain materials?

Magnets attract certain materials because these materials have atoms with unpaired electrons, which can be easily influenced by the magnetic field of the magnet.

What is the difference between a magnet and an electromagnet?

A magnet is a material that produces its own magnetic field, while an electromagnet is a coil of wire with an electric current running through it, which creates a magnetic field. An electromagnet can be turned on and off, while a magnet is always magnetic.

What are the practical applications of magnets?

Magnets have many practical applications, including use in electric motors, generators, speakers, and MRI machines. They are also used in magnetic storage devices, such as hard drives and credit cards.