Time taken for an object to slide down a plane given μ, s and θ

In summary: Now you can use s=ut+1/2at2 to find the time taken for the object to slide down the incline.In summary, to find the time taken for an object to slide down an inclined plane, you will need to use the equations F=μN, F=(mg)sin(30), N=(mg)cos(30), F=ma, and s=ut+1/2at2. The coefficient of friction, angle of incline, and length of the slope are given as 0.3, 30°, and 6m respectively. By finding the net force using F=μN, you can then calculate the acceleration with F=ma. Finally, using s=ut+
PhysicsThrow

Homework Statement

Find the time taken for an object to slide down an inclined plane given the coefficient of friction, length of slope and angle of incline.
The coefficient of friction is 0.3.
The angle of incline is 30°.
The length of the slope is 6m.

Homework Equations

F=μN
F=(mg)sin(30)
N=(mg)cos(30)
F=ma

s=ut+1/2at2?

The Attempt at a Solution

Completely stuck. I assume I must calculate the mass of the object first? Using F=μN some how? Then I can calculate the acceleration of the object with F=ma? Then I can find the time taken to slide down with s=ut+1/2at2?

Physics news on Phys.org
PhysicsThrow said:
I assume I must calculate the mass of the object first? Using F=μN some how?
You won't need the mass. But you will need the net force. (Symbolically, not with numbers at this point.)
Then I can calculate the acceleration of the object with F=ma?
Yes, where F is the net force.
Then I can find the time taken to slide down with s=ut+1/2at2?
Yep.

Doc Al said:
You won't need the mass. But you will need the net force. (Symbolically, not with numbers at this point.)

Ahah! I think I have it then!

ma = mg(sin(30)+-0.30cos(30)
ma = m*2.36
so, a = 2.36

:eek:

PhysicsThrow said:
Ahah! I think I have it then!

ma = mg(sin(30)+-0.30cos(30)
ma = m*2.36
so, a = 2.36
Good!

I would approach this problem by first identifying the known variables and the relevant equations that can be used to solve for the unknown variable, which in this case is time (t). The known variables are the coefficient of friction (μ= 0.3), the length of the slope (s= 6m), and the angle of incline (θ= 30°). The relevant equations are F=μN, F=(mg)sin(θ), N=(mg)cos(θ), and s=ut+1/2at^2.

To solve for time, we need to first calculate the force of friction (F) using the equation F=μN. To do this, we need to find the normal force (N) acting on the object. We can find N by using the equation N=(mg)cos(θ), where m is the mass of the object and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2). We can then substitute this value for N into the equation F=μN to solve for F.

Next, we can calculate the net force (Fnet) acting on the object by adding the force of gravity (mg) acting downwards and the force of friction (F) acting in the opposite direction. The net force can be calculated using the equation Fnet=mg-F.

Since we know that the acceleration of the object (a) is equal to the net force divided by the mass, we can now solve for a using the equation F=ma. Once we have calculated the acceleration, we can use the equation s=ut+1/2at^2 to solve for time (t).

In summary, the steps to solve for the time taken for an object to slide down an inclined plane would be:

1. Calculate the normal force (N) using the equation N=(mg)cos(θ).
2. Calculate the force of friction (F) using the equation F=μN.
3. Calculate the net force (Fnet) using the equation Fnet=mg-F.
4. Calculate the acceleration (a) using the equation F=ma.
5. Finally, use the equation s=ut+1/2at^2 to solve for time (t).

I hope this helps in solving the problem. Remember to always identify your known variables and use relevant equations to solve for the unknown variable.

1. What is the formula for calculating the time taken for an object to slide down a plane?

The formula for calculating the time taken for an object to slide down a plane is t = √(2s/μgcosθ), where t is the time taken, s is the length of the plane, μ is the coefficient of friction, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of inclination of the plane.

2. How does the coefficient of friction affect the time taken for an object to slide down a plane?

The coefficient of friction, represented by μ, is a measure of the resistance between two surfaces in contact. A higher coefficient of friction means there is more resistance, resulting in a longer time for the object to slide down the plane. Conversely, a lower coefficient of friction means there is less resistance, resulting in a shorter time for the object to slide down the plane.

3. Can the angle of inclination of the plane affect the time taken for an object to slide down?

Yes, the angle of inclination of the plane, represented by θ, can affect the time taken for an object to slide down. As the angle increases, the component of gravity pulling the object down the plane decreases, resulting in a longer time for the object to slide down. On the other hand, as the angle decreases, the component of gravity increases, resulting in a shorter time for the object to slide down.

4. How does the length of the plane impact the time taken for an object to slide down?

The length of the plane, represented by s, does not have a direct impact on the time taken for an object to slide down. However, a longer plane may result in a longer distance for the object to travel, which in turn, can affect the time taken.

5. Can the mass of the object affect the time taken for it to slide down a plane?

No, the mass of the object does not affect the time taken for it to slide down a plane. The formula for calculating the time taken does not include the mass of the object as a variable.