Tom Throws a Ball: Horizontal & Vertical Velocity

In summary, Tom throws a ball off a 45m high cliff with a velocity of 30 m/s. The ball takes 4.5 seconds to reach the bottom. Using the equation x = 1/2 * g * t^2, the vertical velocity at impact is -42 m/s. However, to find the horizontal velocity, the equation x = 1/2 * (u + v) * t can be used. With this, the time can be calculated as 3 seconds, resulting in a horizontal velocity of 30 m/s as well. Therefore, the resultant velocity at impact is 42.2 m/s at an angle of 45 degrees.
littledude565

Homework Statement

Tom throws a ball of a cliff 45m nigh, with a velocity of 30 m/s. Take accleration due to gravity as 10m/s. (It took 4.5s to reach the bottom)

What was its horizontal and verticle velocitys when it hit the ground?

i used the first equation (v=u+at) and with substituion i got -42m/s for the verticle velocity. Is this correct, and how would i find the horizontal? thanks for the help

Physics news on Phys.org
littledude565 said:

Homework Statement

Tom throws a ball of a cliff 45m nigh, with a velocity of 30 m/s. Take accleration due to gravity as 10m/s. (It took 4.5s to reach the bottom)

What was its horizontal and verticle velocitys when it hit the ground?

i used the first equation (v=u+at) and with substituion i got -42m/s for the verticle velocity. Is this correct, and how would i find the horizontal? thanks for the help

Welcome to PF.

If your initial velocity was horizontal, then the time to fall is not given by the velocity relationship. That equation would be useful if you wanted to know how long it took to reach its height i.e when velocity goes to 0.

To find the time you need to use the relationship that relates distance and acceleration and time.

x = 1/2*g*t²

the g stands for gravity right? if so would the answer for the verticle be 101.25?

and the horizontal 30m/s as its a constant?

littledude565 said:
the g stands for gravity right? if so would the answer for the verticle be 101.25?

Based on what?

You'll have to show where that comes from.

in your equation x = 1/2*g*t²

So using that i did (assuming the G did stand for gravity). 1/2 * 10m/s*4.5s^2 and i got an answer of 101.25

littledude565 said:
in your equation x = 1/2*g*t²

So using that i did (assuming the G did stand for gravity). 1/2 * 10m/s*4.5s^2 and i got an answer of 101.25

You've run out the corral without the saddle there.

The height is given as 45 m. Your time calculation as I said already is not based on the first equation you applied. 4.5 sec is just plain wrong.

So start again with the right equation and find the correct time and then you can figure it out.

Ok using the s=1/2*(u+v)*t i did 45=15t, t=45/15 and so i got 3seconds. Is that correct?

littledude565 said:
Ok using the s=1/2*(u+v)*t i did 45=15t, t=45/15 and so i got 3seconds. Is that correct?

3 seconds is a much better value to use.

so what equation do i use now? :S

Last edited:
ok so if the verticle velocity increases by 10 every second, would the answer then be 30m/s?

littledude565 said:
ok so if the verticle velocity increases by 10 every second, would the answer then be 30m/s?

Yes the vertical is 30 m/s at impact. As is the horizontal incidentally.

ah thank you very much. So would that mean the resultant of these would be 54.08? I got that using phythag sqrt 45^2+30^2 = 54.08 with an angle of 34

Last edited:
littledude565 said:
ah thank you very much. So would that mean the resultant of these would be 54.08? I got that using phythag sqrt 45^2+30^2 = 54.08

Why do you think it's 452 again?

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/7229/83881376.png

Last edited by a moderator:
ohhh no it should be 45 it should also be 30! So with that now would the resultant be 42.2, with an angle of 45?

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/9337/71116538.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. That would be better now.

Ah yay, thanks for all your help

Related to Tom Throws a Ball: Horizontal & Vertical Velocity

1. What is horizontal velocity?

Horizontal velocity is the speed at which an object, in this case a ball, is moving parallel to the ground. It is also known as the rate of change of displacement in the horizontal direction.

2. What is vertical velocity?

Vertical velocity is the speed at which an object, in this case a ball, is moving perpendicular to the ground. It is also known as the rate of change of displacement in the vertical direction.

3. How is horizontal velocity affected by gravity?

Horizontal velocity is not affected by gravity. This is because gravity only acts upon objects in the vertical direction.

4. How is vertical velocity affected by gravity?

Vertical velocity is affected by gravity. This is because gravity causes objects to accelerate towards the ground, increasing their speed in the vertical direction.

5. What is the relationship between horizontal and vertical velocity?

Horizontal and vertical velocity are independent of each other. This means that the motion in the horizontal direction does not affect the motion in the vertical direction, and vice versa. However, both velocities are influenced by the same factors, such as air resistance and the force of gravity.