Tooling question: List of Diameter Sizes?

In summary, Kahless found that the difference in hole diameters is 0.016, and that the reamer he was using may not be able to handle the tolerance. He is going to bring this up to the professor.
kahless2005
I've been working on a tooling Design project for a unique part, basically I'm taking a cast metal piece and drilling and reaming it to be used as an oil flow passage for a Harley Motorcycle. I.e. I'm the (student) engineer that is designing the jig/fixture device to be able to do the work.

Everything was running smoothly until I came across a hole that has a pre-reamed Diameter (Theta) "X" and a reamed diameter of (Theta) "Z." Each of those come with a tolerance of +/- 0.0005.

Does anyone know what size they are (roughly)? Or does anyone know of a link that has a list of diameters?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi kahless,
Not sure if you're asking about a list of standard reamer sizes or where you might be able to purchase them.

If you're asking about standard sizes, I'm not sure there is a list. They come in just about any diameter you want. If it isn't available in some size, you can either have them made, or a standard one can be ground down to your specific diameter. Generally you don't need to take but a few thousandths of an inch off

If you're looking to purchase one, I'd recommend McMaster Carr here:
http://www.mcmaster.com/
I use them all the time to purchase parts for various projects I work on. Cost is good and shipping is generally overnight.

To find a specific reamer, just type in "ream" and you can locate just about any size reamer you'd like. Generally, you can get any diameter to the nearest 0.0005" up to about 1/2" and then it jumps around a bit above that point.

Not Quite what I was looking for, but a search of the website yielded what I needed.

Thank you

kahless2005 said:
Not Quite what I was looking for, but a search of the website yielded what I needed.

Thank you

Kahless,
Is this a dimension you've put down or what someone else gave you? Since you found the answer at McMaster-Carr, I'm assuming what you figured out is to drill dia 0.3970 and ream to dia 0.4130. If that's right, there are 3 points to think about:

(1) If you're going to ream the hole, why such a tight tolerance on the drilled hole? And, you'll probably have to ream that hole anyway just to hold that tolerance.

(2) The difference in hole diameters is 0.016. Depending on the metal, that may be a lot for reaming.

(3) You shouldn't dimension a reamed diameter by a twist drill size ("Z"). Give the diameter you want in decimal form.

Those were the dimensions given to me.

I'll bring the three point up to the professor.

No point showing him up - just cost you points. That's why I asked if it was your dimension.

A pre-reamed hole diameter to a half a thou? Someone's smoking something.

Last edited:
FredGarvin said:
A pre-reamed hole diameter of half a thou? Someone's smoking something.

Fred,
I used to work with a machine shop where they loved stuff like that. Whenever drawings had extraordinary tolerances or weird GD&T, they would just double or triple the price and then do it the same way they always did. If the purchasing agent questioned the high price, the machinist would point out the tight tolerances. The engineers, most of whom wouldn't know a Bridgeport if one fell on them, thought they were achieving high precision.
Ach!

Related to Tooling question: List of Diameter Sizes?

1. What is the purpose of a tooling list of diameter sizes?

A tooling list of diameter sizes is used as a reference for selecting the appropriate tool diameter for a machining operation. It helps ensure that the tool used is the correct size for the desired outcome and prevents potential errors or damage to the workpiece.

2. How are diameter sizes listed in a tooling list?

Diameter sizes in a tooling list are typically listed in ascending order, starting with the smallest diameter and increasing in size. They are usually measured in millimeters (mm) or inches (in).

3. What is the difference between nominal diameter and actual diameter?

Nominal diameter refers to the designated size of a tool, while actual diameter is the measured size of the tool. Due to manufacturing tolerances, the actual diameter may vary slightly from the nominal diameter.

4. Can the same tool be used for different diameter sizes?

It depends on the type of tool. Some tools, such as drills, are designed to have a range of diameter sizes, while others, such as end mills, are specific to a certain diameter size. It is important to consult the tooling list to determine the appropriate size for each operation.

5. Why is it important to follow the specified diameter sizes in a tooling list?

Using the correct tool diameter is crucial for achieving the desired result in a machining operation. Using a tool that is too large or too small can result in issues such as poor surface finish, incorrect tolerances, or even damage to the workpiece. Following the specified diameter sizes in a tooling list ensures the best possible outcome for the machining process.