Understanding Torque and Angular Momentum Conservation

In summary, the torque on a body about a given point is equal to the cross product of a constant vector and the angular momentum of the body. From this, it can be concluded that (A), (B), and (C) are all true, while (D) is not necessarily true. (B) and (C) can be proven by differentiating relevant expressions with respect to time.
erisedk

Homework Statement

The torque ## \vec{τ} ## on a body about a given point is found to be equal to ## \vec{A} × \vec{L} ## where ##\vec{A}## is a constant vector, and ##\vec{L}## is the angular momentum of the body about that point. From this it follows: (Multiple answers correct)

(A) ## \dfrac{d\vec{L}}{dt} ## is perpendicular to ##\vec{L}## at all instants of time

(B) the component of ##\vec{L}## in the direction of ##\vec{A}## does not change with time

(C) the magnitude of ##\vec{L}## does not change with time

(D) ##\vec{L}## does not change with time

Homework Equations

##\vec{τ} = \dfrac{d\vec{L}}{dt} ##

The Attempt at a Solution

##\vec{τ} = \dfrac{d\vec{L}}{dt} = \vec{A} × \vec{L} ##
From this equation (A) holds.

(D) will hold, i.e. only if ##\dfrac{d\vec{L}}{dt}## is 0, i.e.## \vec{A} ## is parallel to ## \vec{L} ## which has no reason to be true all the time. So, D should not be correct.

Which leaves (B) and (C). I have no idea how to prove or disprove them. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you simply try finding some expressions for the vectors relevant to B and C and differentiate them with respect to time?

Likes erisedk
Thank you! Got it. I differentiated these two expressions:
For (B)
##\vec{L}.\vec{L} = L^2##
and for (C)
##\vec{L}.\vec{A} / A ##

Hence, (A) (B) and (C) are true.

Correct.

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that can cause an object to rotate around an axis. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

2. How is torque different from force?

While force is a vector quantity that describes the push or pull on an object, torque is a vector quantity that describes the rotational effect of a force on an object. Force causes linear motion, while torque causes rotational motion.

3. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of the amount of rotation a rotating object has, taking into account both its mass and its velocity. It is a conserved quantity, meaning that it remains constant unless acted upon by an external torque.

4. How is angular momentum related to torque?

Angular momentum is directly proportional to torque. This means that the greater the torque applied to an object, the greater its angular momentum will be. This relationship is described by the equation L = Iω, where L is angular momentum, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity.

5. What are some real-life examples of torque and angular momentum?

Some examples of torque and angular momentum in everyday life include the rotation of a bicycle wheel, the spinning of a top, and the swinging of a pendulum. In more complex systems, like a car engine or a planet orbiting the sun, both torque and angular momentum play important roles in their behavior and motion.