How Can I Measure Torque for a Pedal-Powered Rotary Vane Pump Project?

In summary, you need to measure the torque delivered to the brake chain on a bicycle or exercise machine in order to calculate power. You can do this by measuring the torque with a spring balance or by mounting the pump on a bracket and measuring strain in the bracket.
Cyril Marty
Hi guys. I am doing a project involving a pedal powered rotary vane pump. I would like to ask how do I measure the Torque. I used a hollow steel shaft with a diameter of 0.75 inches. I was trying out the formula T=Fr but I have no idea how to measure the perpendicular force.
In the picture you can see the bicycle chain attached to the shaft then the pump (orange)
Any insights would be helpful. Thanks

Attachments

• qwe.jpg
    qwe.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 556
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi and welcome to PF.
From the picture, the shaft seems to be a reasonable diameter and I think you could probably manage to hang a webbing belt over it with a weight on one side and a spring balance on the other. This is a poor man's version of the type of dynamometer that's used to measure car engine brake horse power and torque. As you turn the shaft, the reading on the spring balance will increase to show you the friction force on the belt*. You can multiply this by the radius of the shaft to get the torque that's being delivered. The reading on the dial may vary a bit, due to uneven surface on the shaft but you could policy it up and reduce this variation. It would be a matter of doing some mental 'averaging' of the reading and a steady peddler. Of course, this is not the whole story as you need to find the Power as well. This needs you to know the angular velocity of the shaft and that can be found in various ways. Bicycles and exercise machines have meters to do this.

*which is the "normal" force you wanted.

sophiecentaur said:
Hi and welcome to PF.
From the picture, the shaft seems to be a reasonable diameter and I think you could probably manage to hang a webbing belt over it with a weight on one side and a spring balance on the other. This is a poor man's version of the type of dynamometer that's used to measure car engine brake horse power and torque. As you turn the shaft, the reading on the spring balance will increase to show you the friction force on the belt*. You can multiply this by the radius of the shaft to get the torque that's being delivered. The reading on the dial may vary a bit, due to uneven surface on the shaft but you could policy it up and reduce this variation. It would be a matter of doing some mental 'averaging' of the reading and a steady peddler. Of course, this is not the whole story as you need to find the Power as well. This needs you to know the angular velocity of the shaft and that can be found in various ways. Bicycles and exercise machines have meters to do this.

*which is the "normal" force you wanted.

thank you very much for your response. I will get right on it.

Good luck with it - if you are using pedals then the torque could vary a lot over the cycle and I wonder whether a flywheel (which would not waste any energy) could help - both in the measurement and in delivering a steady power to the pump.

OMG - I just saw the words "policy it up" in the previous post. Damned automatic spelling correction! POLISH!

Errr I don't think that works. The spring scale would display the torque delivered to the webbing/brake not to the pump. eg If the shaft isn't accelerating the relevant equation would be...

Tcyclist + Tbrake + Tpump = 0

I think you would need a different approach. Perhaps mount the pump casing on some sort of bracket and measure the strain in the bracket?

CWatters said:
Errr I don't think that works. The spring scale would display the torque delivered to the webbing/brake not to the pump. eg If the shaft isn't accelerating the relevant equation would be...

Tcyclist + Tbrake + Tpump = 0

I think you would need a different approach. Perhaps mount the pump casing on some sort of bracket and measure the strain in the bracket?
I'm assuming that the pump would not be under load - of course. To measure the on-load torque would require some strain gauge on the shaft or measuring the tension in the chain. Much harder and less convenient. (I must say, I sort of took that for granted - as you do when measuring bhp for any engine.

guys I am having a hard time securing a dynamometer. is there another way for me to get the Power?

How accurate does it have to be?
Being a positive displacement pump flow rate is linear with rpm.
You can calculate pump power vs rpm based on the inlet and outlet conditions & the swept volume. Find the volume/rpm from the spec sheet or a 5 minute experiment. A piece of clear tube can measure the pressure difference across the pump (U-tube manometer). get pump efficiency from the manufacturer or estimate (rotary vanes are >90% IIRC)

All you need is a cheap tacho to calc. instantaneous power (bicycle speedometers can be had for <$10). Divide by theta to get instantaneous torque.

There are various ways to measure the losses from pedal to pipe and get more accurate data.

What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the twisting force that causes an object to rotate around an axis.

How is torque calculated?

Torque is calculated by multiplying force with the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

What is the relationship between torque and force?

Torque is directly proportional to force and distance. This means that as the force or distance increases, the torque also increases.

What is the difference between torque and force?

Force is a push or pull that causes an object to accelerate, while torque is a rotational force that causes an object to rotate around an axis.

How is torque used in everyday life?

Torque is used in many everyday activities, such as opening a door, riding a bike, or tightening a bolt. It is also used in machines and tools, such as car engines and wrenches.