Torque - Where is the normal force in this FBD?

In summary, the normal force in this scenario is always equal to the stick's weight plus the bug's weight, but its location varies as the bug moves along the stick. Ultimately, the normal force acts as a concentrated force at the edge of the table, causing the stick to potentially tip over. The resultant weight always acts through the center of mass, but the normal force acts at the point of contact.
Whotto
Silly question I know, but I want to just clarify this.

The actual question:
A 0.45kg bug is crawling to the right along a metre-stick which is resting on the edge of a desk. If the mass of the uniform metre-stick is 0.37kg, how far from the edge of the desk can the bug crawl before the metre-stick flips off the desk?

[PLAIN]http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/9154/58811064.jpg

My question:
Eventually, I worked out that FN is the green arrow. But why is it there instead of being at where the red arrow is? I realize the entire table is the support. So should it not be in the middle of where the support touches the metre-stick?

I also know found no way to solve this without putting FN in the middle. I got the answer, but I want to clarify this and double-check.

[PLAIN]http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/9067/24168499.jpg

In case I am not correct by putting FN in the middle, the answer I got is 0.1644m. Is that right?

Many thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
the normal force should be where the center of mass is.

Hi MHrtz, thanks for the reply.

Do you mean this then?

[PLAIN]http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/2333/95048564.jpg

I can't solve the question if it is this, because any weight on the right side will tip the ruler - which isn't suppose to happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, I after further pondering, I realized that FN could range from mg to 0. So that means the bug could only have as much torque as mg.

So the answer would be 0.16m. Am I right or still totally wrong?

Last edited:
You don't indicate how far from the edge of the table that the meter stick is projecting. If initially, with the bug at the edge of the table, the stick was delicately balanced half on the table, and half off, the bug could not move an iota of a mm from the edge of the table, without tipping the stick over. What's the overhang distance?

My apologies...I forgot to include that 0.70m of the stick is in contact with the table. Sorry! I am not missing any other information though, I double-checked to make sure.

Whotto said:
Okay, I after further pondering, I realized that FN could range from mg to 0. So that means the bug could only have as much torque as mg.

So the answer would be 0.16m. Am I right or still totally wrong?
You are right. But the normal force is always equal to the stick's plus bugs weight...its resultant location varies as the bug moves to the right, ultimately ending up as a concentrated force at the at the edge of the table at the point of pending tipover.

PhanthomJay said:
You are right. But the normal force is always equal to the stick's plus bugs weight...its resultant location varies as the bug moves to the right, ultimately ending up as a concentrated force at the at the edge of the table at the point of pending tipover.

Ah! I get it now. Thank you very much :)

normal always acts through the center of mass
ie the center of the rod in this case

Selwyn said:
normal always acts through the center of mass
ie the center of the rod in this case
No. The resultant weight always acts through the center of mass...the normal (perpendicular contact force) does not always act through the center of mass.

PhanthomJay said:
No. The resultant weight always acts through the center of mass...the normal (perpendicular contact force) does not always act through the center of mass.
hm...you are right
normal acts at the point of contact

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

2. How is torque related to the normal force?

In order for an object to experience torque, there must be a force acting on it that is not parallel to the axis of rotation. The normal force, which is the force exerted by a surface on an object, can provide this perpendicular force necessary for torque to occur.

3. Where is the normal force in a free body diagram when calculating torque?

The normal force is represented as a vector that is perpendicular to the surface on which the object is resting. In a free body diagram, it is typically drawn as a line extending away from the surface and intersecting with the force vector that is causing the torque.

4. Does the normal force always contribute to torque?

No, the normal force only contributes to torque when it is not acting through the axis of rotation. If the normal force is acting directly through the axis of rotation, it will not contribute to torque.

5. How does changing the angle of the normal force affect torque?

Changing the angle of the normal force will change the perpendicular distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied. This distance, also known as the lever arm, is a key component in calculating torque, so changing the angle of the normal force will also change the overall torque on an object.