Torsional Pendulum Experiment Help

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics class assignment to investigate a factor that affects the period of a torsional pendulum. The setup involves a massless rod suspended horizontally with two equal weights at each end. The independent variable is the weight of the masses, the dependent variable is the time period for one cycle, and the controlled variables are the length of the string, length of the rod, and material weight. The conversation also mentions assumptions and equations related to the experiment, as well as suggestions for materials and setups.
yaluubill

Homework Statement

In physics class, we were given a task to investigate a factor that affects the period of a torsional pendulum.

I imagined having a setup where a massless rod would be suspended horizontally from a retort stand using a string secured to the middle of the rod so it would balance. At the ends of the rod would be two equal weights.

I.V. - Weight of mass m on either side of the rod
D.V.- Time period for one cycle
C.V.- length of string, length of rod, material weight (e.g. surface area, shape) force exerted making it oscillate[?]

Assumptions:
- rod is massless (is using a BBQ stick ok?)
- energy lost to friction is negligible
-

Homework Equations

We know that:
T = 2∏√l/k
where l in this situation is = 2[mr^2)

I expect to see an directly proportional graph where an increase of mass m would result in greater time T.

I'm planning to calculate for constant k when I do the experiment proper itself so that it would be the constant for the set conditions the experiment is carried out in.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that measuring multiple oscillations and getting an average would yield more accurate results than just measuring one cycle.

I don't have any idea though how to construct the setup such that the rod with the two masses on either end would turn one way (clockwise) and then without losing significant energy, turn the other (counter-clockwise).

I tried testing a similar setup with a rubber band and pencil where the pencil was inserted between the inner sides of the rubber band. It was then twirled 10 times, and when released, the rubber band unfurled and the pencil flew off.

Would someone be able to suggest possible materials I could use that better preserve the energy, and also possible weights I could use given that the rod should be massless (or super light in the experiment... initially I was thinking of similar clay balls that would be skewered with the BBQ stick).

If ever, would another setup possibly be more practical? more doable? (especially since its for a high school physics class [IB Senior Physics]

Thank you so much!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

Hi yaluubill. String may not be a good material for a torsional pendulum. Try a monofilament such as wire. Have you done a google search? I'd look on youtube, too, there's sure to be some demos there.

Last edited by a moderator:
NascentOxygen said:
http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

Hi yaluubill. String may not be a good material for a torsional pendulum. Try a monofilament such as wire. Have you done a google search? I'd look on youtube, too, there's sure to be some demos there.

Thanks a bunch! I'll definitely look into that

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a torsional pendulum experiment?

A torsional pendulum experiment is a scientific experiment that involves a pendulum attached to a wire or rod that is twisted and released. The motion of the pendulum is then observed and measured to analyze the properties of the wire or rod, such as its torsional stiffness or moment of inertia.

2. What is the purpose of a torsional pendulum experiment?

The purpose of a torsional pendulum experiment is to study the behavior of a material under torsional stress and to determine its mechanical properties, such as its elasticity, stiffness, and damping coefficient. It is often used in physics and engineering to understand the properties of materials and to design structures that can withstand torsional forces.

3. How is a torsional pendulum experiment set up?

To set up a torsional pendulum experiment, a pendulum with a small mass is attached to a wire or rod that is suspended from a fixed point. The wire or rod is then twisted and released, allowing the pendulum to oscillate back and forth. The motion of the pendulum can be recorded using a timer and measuring devices such as a ruler or a motion sensor.

4. What are the variables that can affect a torsional pendulum experiment?

The main variables that can affect a torsional pendulum experiment are the length and thickness of the wire or rod, the angle of twist, and the mass of the pendulum. The properties of the material, such as its elasticity and density, can also have an impact on the results of the experiment. Additionally, external factors such as air resistance and friction can also influence the motion of the pendulum.

5. How can the results of a torsional pendulum experiment be analyzed?

The results of a torsional pendulum experiment can be analyzed by plotting the oscillation period against the angle of twist and calculating the slope of the graph, which represents the torsional stiffness of the material. The damping coefficient can also be determined by measuring the decrease in amplitude of the pendulum's oscillations over time. These results can then be compared to theoretical predictions and used to understand the material's mechanical properties.