1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Torsional pendulum

1. Dec 1, 2011 #1
    i just want like 3 to 4 lines about the history of torsional pendulum like who started with it and what is it used for?? please quick reply

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2011 #2
    that's easy.. you're online, so you can browse about it first using the internet. :))

Getting the 'right' answer is important, but understanding how to solve the problem is just as important, if not more so..#physicsforums

4. Dec 1, 2011 #3
    okay let me ask the question in another manner , is the torsion pendulum fixed to a disk the same invention as to be fixed to a sphere??

5. Dec 1, 2011 #4
    I think no.

the torsion pendulum has a disk suspended to its end that rotates on its vertical axis (the string where it is attached) while the one fixed to a sphere as you say (simple pendulum) swings from side to side (left-right/right-left manner).. :))

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook