Solving for Launch Speed and Height of a Toy Rocket

In summary: You can start by rearranging the equations to solve for the unknowns. Then plug in the given values and solve for the unknowns.
homeworkboy
A toy rocket moving vertically upward passes by a 2.2 m high window whose sill is 9.0 m above the ground. The rocket takes 0.14 m/s} to travel the 2.2 m height of the window.

What was the launch speed of the rocket? Assume the propellant is burned very quickly at blastoff.

How high will the rocket go?

Physics news on Phys.org
bump please help

homeworkboy said:
A toy rocket moving vertically upward passes by a 2.2 m high window whose sill is 9.0 m above the ground. The rocket takes 0.14 m/s} to travel the 2.2 m height of the window.

What was the launch speed of the rocket? Assume the propellant is burned very quickly at blastoff.

How high will the rocket go?

What do you think you should do to solve the problem?

well since it says it tokk .14 sec to travel 2.2 m then velocity (v) = 2.2/.14 then we get the final velocity...we know a = -9.8 m/s2...and X = 2.2+9 =11.2m...so we find initial velocity but it says that its the wrong answer

so if u teach me the method it would be great...

homeworkboy said:
well since it says it tokk .14 sec to travel 2.2 m then velocity (v) = 2.2/.14 then we get the final velocity...we know a = -9.8 m/s2...and X = 2.2+9 =11.2m...so we find initial velocity but it says that its the wrong answer

so if u teach me the method it would be great...

You need to use the relationship that Vf2 - Vi2 = 2 a x where a is 9.8 m/s2

You are given 2 distances here. Choose one formula from launch.

Vo2 - Vb2 = 2 a x ... where Vb is V bottom and x is height to bottom of window which is 9

You also know that since gravity is slowing things down that
Vb = Vt + .14 (9.8) where Vt is velocity at the top of the window.

Then you can make use of the other equation to the top of the window:
Vo2 - Vt2 = 2 a x ... where Vt is V top and x is height to top of the window which is 11.2

3 equations. 3 unknowns. Solve.

Last edited:
I dint understand your explanation...is there anyone else who can help me..

bump...anyone

homeworkboy said:
I dint understand your explanation...is there anyone else who can help me..

What have you tried? You have some of the values. And you have 3 equations that relate the variables you don't have to each other.

You need to use algebra to solve the equations and eliminate your unknowns.

Related to Solving for Launch Speed and Height of a Toy Rocket

1. What is a toy rocket motion problem?

A toy rocket motion problem involves understanding the movement and trajectory of a toy rocket, typically launched using a compressed gas or propellant. It is a physics problem that requires knowledge of concepts such as velocity, acceleration, and force.

2. How do I calculate the velocity of a toy rocket?

The velocity of a toy rocket can be calculated by dividing the distance travelled by the time taken. This is known as average velocity. However, to calculate the instantaneous velocity at any given point, we need to use calculus and take the derivative of the distance-time function.

3. What factors affect the motion of a toy rocket?

The motion of a toy rocket can be affected by several factors, including the force of the launch, the weight of the rocket, air resistance, and the angle of launch. The type of propellant used and the design of the rocket can also have an impact on its motion.

4. How does air resistance affect the motion of a toy rocket?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can significantly affect the motion of a toy rocket. As the rocket moves through the air, it experiences a force in the opposite direction of its motion. This force can slow down the rocket and change its trajectory. Reducing air resistance through aerodynamic design can help improve the motion of the toy rocket.

5. What is the ideal angle for launching a toy rocket?

The ideal angle for launching a toy rocket depends on various factors, such as the type of propellant used, the weight of the rocket, and air resistance. Generally, a launch angle between 45 and 60 degrees is considered optimal for achieving maximum height. However, the exact angle may vary depending on the specific conditions and goals of the experiment.