Transfer function of NMOS schematic

In summary, the conversation is about finding the transfer function of a common-source NMOS circuit. The speaker has derived two different formulas for the output voltage, but is having trouble finding the resonant frequency. They are seeking help to determine if there is an error in their derivation or if there is no resonant frequency for this circuit.
dalarev

Homework Statement

Attachment titled Clapp Schematic is what I am finding the transfer function of. Results are obtained with small signal, low frequency, equivalent circuit for a common-source NMOS.

Homework Equations

I have derived two different formulas, looking at Vo in 2 different ways.

The Attempt at a Solution

My 2 results are in the last 2 images attached, where I derive 2 different expressions for Vo/Vi.

Having the transfer function, we set Im[H(s)] = 0 to find resonant frequency, but as can be seen from my derivation, it is not possible.

Attachments

• Clapp Schematic.PNG
    Clapp Schematic.PNG
    2.9 KB · Views: 432
  • Transfer function.PNG
    Transfer function.PNG
    1.3 KB · Views: 451
  • Trans func 2.PNG
    Trans func 2.PNG
    1.1 KB · Views: 436
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure if this means something is wrong with my derivation, or there is no resonant frequency for this circuit? Any help would be appreciated.Thanks!

I would first commend the student for their thorough work in deriving two different formulas for the transfer function of the NMOS schematic. This shows a strong understanding of the underlying principles and a willingness to explore different approaches to problem solving.

In terms of the results obtained, it is important to note that the transfer function may not always lead to a simple and straightforward solution, as seen in this case where setting Im[H(s)] = 0 does not provide a resonant frequency. This could be due to the complexity of the circuit or potential errors in the derivation process.

To further investigate this issue, it may be helpful to compare the derived transfer function with known solutions or to simulate the circuit using software such as SPICE. Additionally, considering the limitations and assumptions made in the small signal, low frequency equivalent circuit approach could also provide insights into the discrepancies in the results.

Overall, it is clear that the student has put in a lot of effort and critical thinking into their work, and I would encourage them to continue exploring and questioning their results to gain a deeper understanding of the transfer function of the NMOS schematic.

1. What is a transfer function in the context of an NMOS schematic?

The transfer function of an NMOS schematic is a mathematical representation of the relationship between the input and output signals of the NMOS circuit. It describes how the circuit amplifies or attenuates the input signal to produce the output signal.

2. How is the transfer function of an NMOS schematic calculated?

The transfer function can be calculated by analyzing the circuit using circuit analysis techniques such as Kirchhoff's laws and Ohm's law. It involves determining the voltage and current at various points in the circuit and using them to derive an equation for the transfer function.

3. What factors can affect the transfer function of an NMOS schematic?

The transfer function of an NMOS schematic can be affected by various factors such as the NMOS transistor's characteristics, the values of the resistors and capacitors in the circuit, and the operating voltage. Changes in any of these factors can alter the transfer function and the overall performance of the circuit.

4. How does the transfer function of an NMOS schematic relate to the circuit's frequency response?

The transfer function of an NMOS schematic can be used to determine the circuit's frequency response, which describes how the output signal changes with different input frequencies. By analyzing the transfer function, we can determine the circuit's bandwidth, gain, and other frequency-dependent characteristics.

5. Can the transfer function of an NMOS schematic be used to design and optimize the circuit?

Yes, the transfer function can be used in circuit design to determine the values of the components that will produce the desired frequency response. By manipulating the transfer function equation, engineers can optimize the circuit for specific applications, such as amplification or filtering.