Transition Matrix of Correlations

In summary, the homework statement is asking for a model to predict future correlations in a series of waves heights. After extrapolating several series of data, it was found that there is a sort of periodic trend in most series. It is thought that every matrix which represents a status is dependent from the previous matrix. The homework asks for a way to find the Tn+1 matrix.
tonino1984

Homework Statement

Hi all,
I've the following problem: I've a series of correlations matrices, suppose 15x15 matrix of correlations between waves heights. Giving an historical series of correlation values, how can I determine a model to establish that the next correlation matrix has a probabilistic value to be in a determinate state?

Thanks for your help

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry for the bad explanation, I'm trying to do better:
suppose you have a matrix doing like this
(0.2 0.3 0.4)
(0.1 0.1 0.5)
(0.4 0.4 0.1)
at time T0, where at time T1 it changes in
(0.1 0.6 0.2)
(0.4 0.2 0.1)
(0.3 0.2 0.7)

Suppose I've a lot of this hist matrices, how can I determine that probabilisticly the T(n) matrix will be
(0.6 0.7 0.8)
(0.1 0.1 0.5)
(0.4 0.4 0.1)
ie.

Thanks

Hi there,
any suggestion?

This seems to be kind of a wide-open question. I mean, do you think that the matrices are dependent on time? Are they dependent on only the matrix from the previous time value? On all the previous matrices?

From a modeling standpoint, it seems like all you have is data. There isn't really a reason to assume a priori that any particular model is right, unless you know something extra about the underlying data. So I think you have to use your knowledge about the particular process here in order to formulate a model to predict T(n).

hgfalling said:
This seems to be kind of a wide-open question. I mean, do you think that the matrices are dependent on time? Are they dependent on only the matrix from the previous time value? On all the previous matrices?

From a modeling standpoint, it seems like all you have is data. There isn't really a reason to assume a priori that any particular model is right, unless you know something extra about the underlying data. So I think you have to use your knowledge about the particular process here in order to formulate a model to predict T(n).

Hi hgfalling, thanks for your reply. I've extrapolated several series from those matrix, ie a(1) at T0 then a(1) at T1 etc. to obtain an historical series, and I found that there's a sort of periodical trend in most series, like harmonical series. In fact it's a matrix of waves height, so it's what I supposed to find out. To better understand that model I plot this as "chess board", and I think about this as a set of frames that compose a sort of movie, so I think that every matrix which represents a status is dependent from the previous. In your opinion how can I find out the Tn+1 matrix?

Hope to be more understandable in this tread.

Thx :-)

1. What is a Transition Matrix of Correlations?

A Transition Matrix of Correlations is a mathematical tool used to analyze the relationship between variables over time. It is a square matrix that shows the correlations between variables at different time points, allowing for the identification of trends and patterns in the data.

2. How is a Transition Matrix of Correlations calculated?

To calculate a Transition Matrix of Correlations, the correlation coefficients between all pairs of variables at each time point are calculated. These coefficients are then organized into a square matrix, with each row and column representing a different variable and the values in each cell representing the correlation between those variables at a specific time point.

3. What is the purpose of using a Transition Matrix of Correlations?

The purpose of using a Transition Matrix of Correlations is to analyze the relationship between variables over time. It allows for the identification of consistent patterns and trends in the data, as well as changes in the strength and direction of correlations between variables.

4. What are the limitations of using a Transition Matrix of Correlations?

One limitation of using a Transition Matrix of Correlations is that it only shows the relationship between two variables at a time, and therefore may not capture the full complexity of a system with multiple variables. Additionally, it assumes that the relationships between variables are linear, which may not always be the case.

5. How can a Transition Matrix of Correlations be interpreted?

A Transition Matrix of Correlations can be interpreted by examining the values in each cell and identifying any consistent patterns or changes over time. A high positive value (close to 1) indicates a strong positive correlation between variables, while a high negative value (close to -1) indicates a strong negative correlation. A value close to 0 indicates little to no correlation between variables. The direction of the correlation can also be determined by the sign of the value (positive = variables move in the same direction, negative = variables move in opposite directions).