1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Translational and Rotational speeds

1. Jan 13, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If a cylinder rolls down a 3.04 meter ramp with a 30 degree incline without slipping, how fast will the rotational and translational speeds be when the cylinder reaches the bottom of the ramp?

2. Relevant equations
    mgh = K_rotational + K_translational
    K_rotational = 1/2*I*omega^2
    I_cylinder = 1/2*m*r^2
    K_translational = 1/2*m*v^2
    v= r*omega

3. The attempt at a solution
    I can find out the translational speed by using the equation [tex] mgh = \frac{1}{2} * (\frac{1}{2} m r^2) \omega^2 + \frac{1}{2} m v^2 [/tex]
    Which you can reduce down to [tex] mgh = 1.5 v^2 [/tex] Since we know m,g and h we can solve for v.
    But I can't seem to find a way to solve for omega without knowing the radius, when i reduce that equation down to solve for omega I always left with the radius somewhere. It may just be that you cannot solve for omega, but if you can find a way teh help will be really appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2008 #2

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

What if you put w=v/r?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?