Trigonometric functions and integrals

In summary: So your question is based on a false premise: the integral does give arccos(u), only its antiderivative is not unique.
Any Help

Homework Statement

I'm searching for the integral that gives arcosu

Homework Equations

as we know : ∫u'/[1-u^2]^0.5 dx = arcsinu
derivative of arccosu = -u'/[1-u^2]^0.5 + C
derivative of arcsinu= u'/[1-u^2]^0.5

The Attempt at a Solution

when I type the -u'/[1-u^2]^0.5 on the online integral calculator it always gives me -arcsinu +C
Why it doesn't gives arccosu
is the arccosu=-arcsinu?!
and what is the integral that gives arcosu?

Physics news on Phys.org
Any Help said:

Homework Statement

I'm searching for the integral that gives arcosu

Homework Equations

as we know : ∫u'/[1-u^2]^0.5 dx = arcsinu
derivative of arccosu = -u'/[1-u^2]^0.5 + C
derivative of arcsinu= u'/[1-u^2]^0.5

The Attempt at a Solution

when I type the -u'/[1-u^2]^0.5 on the online integral calculator it always gives me -arcsinu +C
Why it doesn't gives arccosu
is the arccosu=-arcsinu?!
and what is the integral that gives arcosu?
cos-1u= -sin-1u+90°.
Sine and cosine functions have a phase difference of 90°.

cnh1995 said:
cos-1u= -sin-1u+90°.
Sine and cosine functions have a phase difference of 90°.

No, they differ by ##\pi/2## radians. It is a great mistake to mix trigonometric integrals with degree measurements; the calculus of trig functions is in radian units only!

Likes cnh1995
@Any Help, please post questions about calculus in the Calculus & Beyond section, not the Precalc section. I have moved your thread.

Ray Vickson said:
No, they differ by π/2π/2\pi/2 radians. It is a great mistake to mix trigonometric integrals with degree measurements; the calculus of trig functions is in radian units only!
then what's the integral that gives arccos u?

Any Help said:
then what's the integral that gives arccos u?

There are two antiderivatives of ##1/\sqrt{1-x^2}##; they are ##\arcsin(x)+C## and ##-\arccos(x)+C##. Typically, sources like tables of integrals, or computer algebra packages, give only ONE of the two, and those seem to always be the ##\arcsin(x)## version. When you do it manually you are certainly allowed to give ##-\arccos(x) + C## as an answer; it is absolutely correct, because it is the same as ##\arcsin(x) + K## for some constant ##K## that is different from the constant ##C##.

Likes Any Help and cnh1995

1. What are trigonometric functions?

Trigonometric functions are mathematical functions that relate the angles of a triangle to the lengths of its sides. The most common trigonometric functions are sine, cosine, and tangent.

2. How are trigonometric functions used in calculus?

Trigonometric functions are used in calculus to model and solve problems involving periodic behavior, such as waves and oscillations. They are also used to calculate angles and distances in various geometric and engineering applications.

3. What is the difference between a trigonometric function and an inverse trigonometric function?

A trigonometric function (such as sine or cosine) takes an angle as its input and returns a ratio of the sides of a triangle. An inverse trigonometric function (such as arcsine or arccosine) takes a ratio as its input and returns an angle.

4. How are trigonometric functions and integrals related?

Trigonometric functions can be integrated (or "anti-differentiated") to find the area under their curves. This is useful for solving problems involving the motion of objects in circular or oscillatory motion.

5. What are some real-world applications of trigonometric functions and integrals?

Trigonometric functions and integrals are used in a wide range of fields, including engineering, physics, navigation, and astronomy. They are used to model and solve problems related to waves, vibrations, and rotational motion.