1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trigonometric functions and integrals

1. Dec 7, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm searching for the integral that gives arcosu

2. Relevant equations
    as we know : ∫u'/[1-u^2]^0.5 dx = arcsinu
    derivative of arccosu = -u'/[1-u^2]^0.5 + C
    derivative of arcsinu= u'/[1-u^2]^0.5
    3. The attempt at a solution
    when I type the -u'/[1-u^2]^0.5 on the online integral calculator it always gives me -arcsinu +C
    Why it doesn't gives arccosu
    is the arccosu=-arcsinu?!
    and what is the integral that gives arcosu?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2016 #2

cnh1995

Homework Helper

cos-1u= -sin-1u+90°.
    Sine and cosine functions have a phase difference of 90°.

4. Dec 7, 2016 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, they differ by ##\pi/2## radians. It is a great mistake to mix trigonometric integrals with degree measurements; the calculus of trig functions is in radian units only!

5. Dec 7, 2016 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

@Any Help, please post questions about calculus in the Calculus & Beyond section, not the Precalc section. I have moved your thread.

6. Dec 7, 2016 #5
    then what's the integral that gives arccos u?

7. Dec 7, 2016 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There are two antiderivatives of ##1/\sqrt{1-x^2}##; they are ##\arcsin(x)+C## and ##-\arccos(x)+C##. Typically, sources like tables of integrals, or computer algebra packages, give only ONE of the two, and those seem to always be the ##\arcsin(x)## version. When you do it manually you are certainly allowed to give ##-\arccos(x) + C## as an answer; it is absolutely correct, because it is the same as ##\arcsin(x) + K## for some constant ##K## that is different from the constant ##C##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted