Finding Volume of Cone & Torus in Spherical Coordinates

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the volume of a solid that lies above a cone and inside a torus, using spherical coordinates. The suggested bounds for the integral are 0≤ρ≤4sinφ, π/3≤φ≤π/2, and 0≤θ≤2π. However, after evaluating the integral, the wrong answer is obtained. It is suggested to change the bounds to 0≤φ≤π/3 to get the correct answer. The final result is reported to be approximately 19.99.
eok20
Hi, I need to find the volume of the solid that lies above the cone with equation (in spherical coordinates) [tex] \phi = \frac{\Pi}{3} [/tex] and inside the torus with equation [tex] \rho = 4\sin\phi [/tex]. I thought that the bounds are: [tex] 0\leq\rho\leq4\sin\phi[/tex], [tex]\frac{\Pi}{3}\leq\phi\leq\frac{\Pi}{2}[/tex], and [tex]0\leq\theta\leq2\Pi[/tex] but when I evaluated the integral (using Mathematica) of [tex]\rho^2\sin\phi[/tex] (the Jacobian) using these bounds I got the wrong answer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\frac{\Pi}{3}\leq\phi\leq\frac{\Pi}{2}[/tex]

Between Pi/3 and Pi/2 you ahve the volume outside the cone, if you want the volume inside the cone (like water ina coneshaped cup) then you'd want to go from phi = 0 to Pi/3.

The attached plot shows the cross-section of the donut intersecting with the cone. This is what I come up with:

[tex]\int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^{\pi/3}\int_0^{4Sin(\phi)}\rho^2 Sin(\phi)d\rho d\phi d\theta[/tex]

Mathematica reports approx 19.99. What did you get?

Attachments

• donutcone.JPG
    donutcone.JPG
    6.5 KB · Views: 383
Thanks a lot for both of your help. After fixing the bounds of phi i got the correct answer of around 19.99

What is the formula for finding the volume of a cone in spherical coordinates?

The formula for finding the volume of a cone in spherical coordinates is V = (1/3)πr^2h, where r is the radius of the base and h is the height of the cone.

What is the formula for finding the volume of a torus in spherical coordinates?

The formula for finding the volume of a torus in spherical coordinates is V = 2π^2Rr^2, where R is the major radius (distance from the center of the torus to the center of the tube) and r is the minor radius (radius of the tube).

How do you convert from Cartesian coordinates to spherical coordinates?

To convert from Cartesian coordinates (x, y, z) to spherical coordinates (ρ, θ, φ), use the following formulas: ρ = √(x^2 + y^2 + z^2), θ = tan^-1(y/x), and φ = cos^-1(z/ρ).

How do you find the limits of integration for finding the volume of a cone in spherical coordinates?

The limits of integration for finding the volume of a cone in spherical coordinates are ρ from 0 to h, θ from 0 to 2π, and φ from 0 to θ.

How do you find the limits of integration for finding the volume of a torus in spherical coordinates?

The limits of integration for finding the volume of a torus in spherical coordinates are ρ from R-r to R+r, θ from 0 to 2π, and φ from 0 to 2π.