Two blocks and pulley systemhelp on small part

In summary, the mass on the right falls faster than the mass on the left, and the tension in the strings is the same.
Juntao
You got to see the picture 1st.

A block of mass m1 = 2 kg rests on a table with which it has a coefficient of friction µ = 0.66. A string attached to the block passes over a pulley to a block of mass m3 = 4 kg. The pulley is a uniform disk of mass m2 = 0.5 kg and radius 15 cm. As the mass m3 falls, the string does not slip on the pulley.

--------
a) With what acceleration does the mass m3 fall?
b) What is the tension in the horizontal string, T1?
c) What is the tension in the vertical string, T3?
=======================

Okay, shouldn't be that HARD of a problem. But this is what I've done so far.

mass 1 (right is positive)
-------
Summation of forces in x direction
T1-u*m1*g=m1a

Summation of forces in y direction
N-m1g=0
N=m1g

mass 3 (up is positive)
------
Summation of forces in y direction
T3-m3*g=m3*a

My biggest question is the following equation correct:

mass 2
------
(T1-T3)R=I*alpha
simplifies to
(T1-T3)R=.5*m2*R^2*(a/R)
or
(T1-T3)=.5*m2*a => is this right for mass 2 for net torque

From here I manipulated the equations until I got a=...
This is what I have so far, but I'm not getting the acceleration value right, unless I made an algebra error.
But the equations look right so far, right?

Attachments

• pulley.gif
    pulley.gif
    2.7 KB · Views: 538
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like you've got your torque acting in the wrong direction. Try
[tex]\tau_{net}=T_3r-T_1r[/tex]
as your torque formula instead.

Ok, I did what NateTG said, and it gave me a different accerlation of -15.008 m/sec^2 for m3. But its not the right answer. Was there something else I'm supposed to do?

Originally posted by Juntao
From here I manipulated the equations until I got a=...
This is what I have so far, but I'm not getting the acceleration value right, unless I made an algebra error.
To avoid premature insanity, pick a consistent set of sign conventions. You know that m1 moves to the right, the pulley moves clockwise, and m3 goes down. So... use those directions as the positive direction in all your equations.

The way you currently wrote your equations, what you call "a" in one equation equals "-a" in another. Yikes!

Thanks for the tip DocAl! I figured out the answer. Yes!

I learn something new everytime I post here. :smile:

Related to Two blocks and pulley systemhelp on small part

1. How does a two block and pulley system work?

A two block and pulley system is a mechanical device that uses a combination of pulleys and ropes to change the direction and magnitude of a force. The system consists of two blocks, one fixed and one movable, connected by a rope that runs over one or more pulleys. When one block is pulled, the other block moves in the opposite direction with a reduced force.

2. What is the purpose of using a two block and pulley system?

A two block and pulley system is commonly used to lift heavy objects with less effort. By distributing the weight over multiple pulleys, the force required to lift the object is reduced. This makes it easier for humans to lift or move heavy loads.

3. How can I calculate the mechanical advantage of a two block and pulley system?

The mechanical advantage of a two block and pulley system can be calculated by counting the number of ropes supporting the movable block. Each additional rope adds to the mechanical advantage, meaning you can lift heavier loads with less force. For example, a system with two ropes has a mechanical advantage of 2, while a system with four ropes has a mechanical advantage of 4.

4. Are there different types of two block and pulley systems?

Yes, there are different types of two block and pulley systems, including the fixed pulley, movable pulley, and compound pulley. Each type has a different arrangement of pulleys and ropes, resulting in different mechanical advantages and efficiencies. It is important to choose the right type of system for the specific task at hand.

5. Is there anything I should be aware of when using a two block and pulley system?

Yes, there are a few things to keep in mind when using a two block and pulley system. First, make sure the pulleys are in good condition and are able to support the weight of the load. Also, be aware of the direction of the force and make sure it is applied in the correct direction to prevent the system from failing. Finally, always use proper lifting techniques and precautions to avoid injury.