Two blocks touching on a table, one with friction and the other w/out

In summary, the problem involves two blocks, one with a mass of 3 kg and the other with a mass of 2 kg, on a horizontal table with a constant horizontal force of 5 N being applied to the larger block. There is a constant frictional force of 1 N between the smaller block and the table, but no frictional force between the table and the larger block. The acceleration of the two blocks can be calculated by considering them as one object. The force of contact between the blocks can also be calculated by considering the action-reaction forces and the normal forces acting on each block. The presence of friction on only one block does not affect the acceleration of the two blocks when considering them as one object.
codytanner16
1. Two blocks, of masses M = 3 kg and m = 2 kg, are in contact on a horizontal table. A constant horizontal force of magnitude F = 5 N is applied to block M as shown. There is a constant frictional force of magnitude f = 1 N between the table and the block m, but no frictional force between the table and the first block M.

(a) calculate the acceleration of the two blocks
(b) calculate the force of contact between the blocks.

2. F=ma
F=[itex]\mu[/itex]N

3. Usually these problems are no problem for me; however, this one is confusing me tremendously since there is only friction on one block and not the other. I'm just not sure how it affects the answers to the questions being asked.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi codytanner16

Have you drawn your free-body diagrams for both blocks?

I have tried, but I think that maybe where I need some help. I'm not sure which force come into play for which blocks.

What forces have you already drawn in for the blocks?

1. The force down due to gravity for the larger block.
2. The force to the right, from the pushing force, for each block.
3. The force due to friction down for the smaller block.

Am i close?

Since the blocks are making contact with each other, then each block will exert a force on the other one ( these are action-reaction forces ).
Also, for (2) the force to the right on each block may be different.

Also, remember the normal forces.

For the first part of the question, since the 2 blocks move together, then you can consider them to comprise one object.

Thanks!

How does the fact that there is only friction on one block and not the other affect the acceleration of the two blocks?

If you're taking the 2 blocks as one object, then that's the total friction on the object.

Related to Two blocks touching on a table, one with friction and the other w/out

1. What is friction?

Friction is the force that resists the motion between two objects that are in contact with each other.

2. How does friction affect the motion of the blocks?

Friction affects the motion of the blocks by creating a force that opposes the direction of motion, making it more difficult for the blocks to slide against each other.

3. Why does one block have friction while the other does not?

The block with friction is typically made of a material that has a rough surface, such as rubber or sandpaper, which increases the amount of friction between the two blocks. The block without friction is usually made of a smooth material, such as plastic or glass, which reduces the amount of friction.

4. How does the weight of the blocks affect the amount of friction?

The weight of the blocks has a direct relationship with the amount of friction between them. The heavier the blocks are, the more force is applied to the surface, increasing the friction between the two objects.

5. Can the amount of friction between the blocks be changed?

Yes, the amount of friction between the blocks can be changed by altering the surface material, the weight of the blocks, or by introducing lubricants to reduce the friction. Additionally, the force applied to the blocks can also affect the amount of friction between them.