Two body system ,entropy, max work

I mean, the heat gained by the hot body and the heat lost by the cold body. After all, the heat gained by the cold body should be positive and the heat lost by the hot body should be negative.Are you ready for that?ChetNot quite. The c shouldn't be in there, should it? If you divide both sides of the equation by c first, your get ##\ln{\left(\frac{T_f^2}{T_2 T_1}\right)}=0##. So again, what is Tf?Next, we're going to determine the heat lost by the hot body and the heat gained by the cold body. After all, the heat gained by
prehisto

Homework Statement

Two equal bodies with temperatures T1 and T2.
T1 > T2. The specific heat c does not depend on temperature.
What is the maximal work which can be done from this system?

I have to get equation for max work which includes c and temperatures.

Homework Equations

This seems to be rather simple problem, but it has been very difficult for me so far to understand the concepts and judgments behind this problem. So could someone please help me?

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that we have to make a system.Where one body is the heater and other is cooler.
So i know:
The heat from heater dQ1=T1dS1
and cooler dQ2=T2dS2
goes to reservoir where work is done
dW=dQ1-dQ2=-T1dS1-T2dS2

Offcourse i know that change in entropy is equal to
dS=dS1+dS2

The next step should be to establish that max work is equal to
dAmax=-(dT)dS

and further use the carno cycle efficiency coefficient
Do not have any idea how to do it keeping in mind the previous relations :(

Physics news on Phys.org
prehisto said:
and further use the carno cycle efficiency coefficient
Can you write this much for us?

If it all is carried out in carnot cycle, what is dS, and how are dS1 and dS2 related? What does this say about how dQ1 and dQ2 related?

Chet

Bystander said:
Can you write this much for us?

dAmax=(1-T2/T1)dQ1

The easiest way to do this problem is to figure out how to determine the final equilibrium temperature of the two bodes. To do that, you start out by answering the questions I asked in post #3.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
The easiest way to do this problem is to figure out how to determine the final equilibrium temperature of the two bodes. To do that, you start out by answering the questions I asked in post #3.

I think i got to the relation of work.
1) If the temperature of one body decreases then the temperature of other body increases.
dQ1=-dQ2
2) Entropy of the system increases
dS1+dS2>0

From 1)
T1dS1-T2dS2=0
S2=T1dS1/T2

and from 2)
dS1+T1dS1/T2>0
(T2-T1)dS1>0
dA>0

But here it is positive and there is no reason for me to think that this is the maximal work.
Maybe (T2-T1)dS1 is the maximal work because entropy increases?

None of this assessment is correct.

1. Q2 is not equal to -Q1. Otherwise, no work would be done.
2. The total entropy of the two bodies does not increase if the process is carried out reversibly. So ΔS1+ΔS2=0.

Now let me help you work through this problem.
Here's what happens. After all the heat has been transferred and all the work has been done, the temperatures of the two bodes are going be the same. Call this final temperature Tf. Do you know how to determine the change in entropy of the hot body if its temperature decreases from T1 to Tf? If so, please write out your expression. Similarly, do you know how to determine the change in entropy of the cold body if its temperature increases from T2 to Tf. If so, please write out your expression. The sum of these two entropy changes will be equal to zero.

We can continue with the solution to the problem after you have had a chance to respond to my two questions above.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
None of this assessment is correct.

1. Q2 is not equal to -Q1. Otherwise, no work would be done.
2. The total entropy of the two bodies does not increase if the process is carried out reversibly. So ΔS1+ΔS2=0.

Now let me help you work through this problem.
Here's what happens. After all the heat has been transferred and all the work has been done, the temperatures of the two bodes are going be the same. Call this final temperature Tf. Do you know how to determine the change in entropy of the hot body if its temperature decreases from T1 to Tf? If so, please write out your expression. Similarly, do you know how to determine the change in entropy of the cold body if its temperature increases from T2 to Tf. If so, please write out your expression. The sum of these two entropy changes will be equal to zero.

We can continue with the solution to the problem after you have had a chance to respond to my two questions above.

Chet
Unfortunately i don't have ideas have to incorporate the final temperature in ΔS1+ΔS2=0.
I would write
dQ1/T1+dQ2/T2=0

prehisto said:
Unfortunately i don't have ideas have to incorporate the final temperature in ΔS1+ΔS2=0.
I would write
dQ1/T1+dQ2/T2=0
OK. Let me get you started.

For reversibly heating or cooling each of the bodies,

##TdS=cdT##, or, dS = c d lnT

So, ##ΔS_1=c\ln{\left(\frac{T_f}{T_1}\right)}## and ##ΔS_2=c\ln{\left(\frac{T_f}{T_2}\right)}##

With these equations and the requirement that the combined entropy change of the two bodies is equal to zero, you should be able to determine Tf in terms of T1 and T2. What do you get?

Chet

a

Last edited:
Never mind the previous post,its a mistake.

Chestermiller said:
OK. Let me get you started.

For reversibly heating or cooling each of the bodies,

##TdS=cdT##, or, dS = c d lnT

So, ##ΔS_1=c\ln{\left(\frac{T_f}{T_1}\right)}## and ##ΔS_2=c\ln{\left(\frac{T_f}{T_2}\right)}##

With these equations and the requirement that the combined entropy change of the two bodies is equal to zero, you should be able to determine Tf in terms of T1 and T2. What do you get?

Chet
##ΔS=c\ln{\left(\frac{T_f}{T_1}\right)} + c\ln{\left(\frac{T_f}{T_2}\right)} = c\ln{\left(\frac{T_f^2}{T_2 T_1}\right)} ##
## c\ln{\left(\frac{T_f^2}{T_2 T_1}\right)}=0##
which gives
## T_f=\sqrt{T_1T_2/c} ##

prehisto said:
Never mind the previous post,its a mistake.##ΔS=c\ln{\left(\frac{T_f}{T_1}\right)} + c\ln{\left(\frac{T_f}{T_2}\right)} = c\ln{\left(\frac{T_f^2}{T_2 T_1}\right)} ##
## c\ln{\left(\frac{T_f^2}{T_2 T_1}\right)}=0##
which gives
## T_f=\sqrt{T_1T_2/c} ##
Not quite. The c shouldn't be in there, should it? If you divide both sides of the equation by c first, your get ##\ln{\left(\frac{T_f^2}{T_2 T_1}\right)}=0##. So again, what is Tf?

Next, we're going to determine the heat lost by the hot body and the heat gained by the cold body.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Not quite. The c shouldn't be in there, should it? If you divide both sides of the equation by c first, your get ##\ln{\left(\frac{T_f^2}{T_2 T_1}\right)}=0##. So again, what is Tf?

Next, we're going to determine the heat lost by the hot body and the heat gained by the cold body.

Chet

Yes,my mistake.
## T_f=\sqrt{T_1T_2} ##
or
##T_f^2=T_1T_2 ##Looking forward to it. This time i tink , i won't rash into it

prehisto said:
Yes,my mistake.
## T_f=\sqrt{T_1T_2} ##
or
##T_f^2=T_1T_2 ##Looking forward to it. This time i tink , i won't rash into it
OK. I find it an interesting result that the final temperature is the geometric mean of the two initial body temperatures.

Now that you know Tf, tell me, in terms of c, T1, and T2, how much heat is removed from the hot body Q1 between its initial and its final states? Also, in terms of c, T1, and T2, how much heat is added to the cold body Q2 between its initial and its final states? What is the net of Q1 and Q2?

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Now that you know Tf, tell me, in terms of c, T1, and T2, how much heat is removed from the hot body Q1 between its initial and its final states? Also, in terms of c, T1, and T2, how much heat is added to the cold body Q2 between its initial and its final states? What is the net of Q1 and Q2?

Chet
## dQ=cdT -> dQ_1 =cdT=c \int dT= c(T_f-T_1) ##
then i can subsitute
## T_f^2=T_1T_2 ##
and obtain
## dQ_1= - c(\sqrt{T_1T_2}-T_1) ##
I suppose if heat is removed,it should go with negative sign

The same goes for the second body
##dQ_2 = c(T_f-T_2) ##
## dQ_2=c(\sqrt{T_1T_2}-T_2) ##

But in the case of net of Q1 and Q2 i obtain.
## dQ=c(T_1-T_2) ##

prehisto said:
## dQ=cdT -> dQ_1 =cdT=c \int dT= c(T_f-T_1) ##
then i can subsitute
## T_f^2=T_1T_2 ##
and obtain
## dQ_1= - c(\sqrt{T_1T_2}-T_1) ##
I suppose if heat is removed,it should go with negative sign

The same goes for the second body
##dQ_2 = c(T_f-T_2) ##
## dQ_2=c(\sqrt{T_1T_2}-T_2) ##

But in the case of net of Q1 and Q2 i obtain.
## dQ=c(T_1-T_2) ##
Your equations for Q1 and Q2 are correct, but check your algebra. This final answer is wrong.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Your equations for Q1 and Q2 are correct, but check your algebra. This final answer is wrong.

1) In case of net Q, i have got
## Q=Q_1+Q_2=-c(T_f-T_1)+c(T_f-T_2)=-cT_f+cT_1+cT_f-cT_2=c(T_1-T_2) ##
2) in cace of work dW=dQ
## Q_1-Q_2=-c(T_f-T_1)-c(T_f-T_2)=-cT_f+cT_1-cT_f+cT_2=-2cT_f+c(T_1+T_2) ##

prehisto said:
1) In case of net Q, i have got
## Q=Q_1+Q_2=-c(T_f-T_1)+c(T_f-T_2)=-cT_f+cT_1+cT_f-cT_2=c(T_1-T_2) ##
2) in cace of work dW=dQ
## Q_1-Q_2=-c(T_f-T_1)-c(T_f-T_2)=-cT_f+cT_1-cT_f+cT_2=-2cT_f+c(T_1+T_2) ##
The net Q is not Q1 + Q2 (your first equation). The net Q is Q1-Q2 (your second equation), and, yes, that is equal to W. Now, in your equation for Q, if you factor out the c and combine the terms, you get ## W=Q =Q_1-Q_2=(T_1-2T_f+T_2) ##
Now substitute your equation for Tf into the term in parenthesis, and you will get a perfect square. In terms of T1 and T2, what is that perfect square?

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Now substitute your
equation for Tf into the term in parenthesis, and you will get a perfect square. In terms of T1 and T2, what is that perfect square?

## (T_1-2T_f+T_2)=T_1-2\sqrt{(T_1T_2)}+T_2=(\sqrt{T_1}-\sqrt{T_2})^2 ##

yes,i got it. As far as i can see now its mathematical operations which shows us relation for work in other form.
But where it leads us as far as physical interpretation.

prehisto said:

yes,i got it. As far as i can see now its mathematical operations which shows us relation for work in other form.
In what we've done, we've looked at the problem from 20000 ft and examined the overall response, by just focusing on the initial and the final states. However, you are very perceptive to ask for a physical interpretation. In particular, I think you are asking, "how do we design a process in detail to achieve this maximum work?" That would help you greatly in physical understanding. Is that what you want?

Chet

prehisto said:

In what we've done, we've looked at the problem from 20000 ft and examined the overall response, by just focusing on the initial and the final states. However, you are very perceptive to ask for a physical interpretation. In particular, I think you are asking, "how do we design a process in detail to achieve this maximum work?" That would help you greatly in physical understanding. Is that what you want?

Chet

Chestermiller said:
That would help you greatly in physical understanding. Is that what you want?
Yes. I want to understand why our result is for maximum work.

i suppose that our result correspond to the maximal work because its a reversible process thus the net entropy change is zero ( no heat is given to environment which leads to increase of entropy) . With what we started in the first place.

Last edited:
prehisto said:
Yes. I want to understand why our result is for maximum work.

i suppose that our result correspond to the maximal work because its a reversible process thus the net entropy change is zero ( no heat is given to environment which leads to increase of entropy) . With what we started in the first place.
Your overall assessment is correct. But maybe you won't be satisfied until you dream an actual reversible process where you can bring about these reversible changes in the temperatures of the bodies and do the corresponding amount of reversible work (using some working fluid, for example). So, what are your thoughts on a process for accomplishing this. Here are some considerations:

1. It's a one shot deal, so the working fluid(s) do not need to be returned to its (their) original state(s) (i.e., the working fluid does not have to go through a cycle).
2. You don't need to use only one working fluid. You can use more than one.
3. The heat transferred to the working fluid(s) must equal the net heat transferred from the bodies.
4. The entropy change of the working fluid(s) must be equal to zero (since the entropy change of the bodies is zero and the process is reversible).
5. The working fluid(s) can be compressed or expanded by adding or removing tiny weights to or from a piston (or pistons).
6. The working fluid(s) can be an ideal gas (or gases).

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Your overall assessment is correct. But maybe you won't be satisfied until you dream an actual reversible process where you can bring about these reversible changes in the temperatures of the bodies and do the corresponding amount of reversible work (using some working fluid, for example). So, what are your thoughts on a process for accomplishing this. Here are some considerations:

1. It's a one shot deal, so the working fluid(s) do not need to be returned to its (their) original state(s) (i.e., the working fluid does not have to go through a cycle).
2. You don't need to use only one working fluid. You can use more than one.
3. The heat transferred to the working fluid(s) must equal the net heat transferred from the bodies.
4. The entropy change of the working fluid(s) must be equal to zero (since the entropy change of the bodies is zero and the process is reversible).
5. The working fluid(s) can be compressed or expanded by adding or removing tiny weights to or from a piston (or pistons).
6. The working fluid(s) can be an ideal gas (or gases).

Chet
Thank you for you help with this problem. It was very helpful!

1. What is a two body system?

A two body system is a system in which only two objects interact with each other. This can include a planet and its moon, two stars orbiting each other, or two particles in space.

2. What is entropy?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. In thermodynamics, it is often described as the amount of energy that is unavailable to do work.

3. How is entropy related to the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system always increases over time. This means that as energy is converted from one form to another, some of it will be lost as heat and the overall disorder of the system will increase.

4. What is the maximum work that can be obtained from a two body system?

The maximum work that can be obtained from a two body system is dependent on the temperature difference between the two bodies. The greater the temperature difference, the more work can be extracted.

5. How can we calculate the maximum work from a two body system?

The maximum work from a two body system can be calculated using the Carnot efficiency formula: W = Qh - Qc, where W is the work, Qh is the heat absorbed from the hot body, and Qc is the heat released to the cold body. This formula assumes that the process is reversible and the temperature of the hot and cold bodies remains constant.