Two boxes connected with a pulley, one hanging

• Thread starter frozenguy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pulley
In summary, the hanging mass has a coefficient of friction of 0.18 with the table, and the pulley has a radius of 0.089 meters. Alpha of the pulley is a/R. Torque at the pulley is (R*sin(90)*Ft1)+(R*sin(90)*Ft2), where Ft1 and Ft2 are the torques on the mass m1 and m2, respectively.
frozenguy
Two boxes connected with a pulley, one hanging *updated*

Homework Statement

There is a Mass (m1) on a table. The coefficient of friction between the table and m1 is 0.18. The second mass (m2) is hanging, suspended by a string around a pulley (m3) attached to m1. The pulley has a radius (R) and is considered a solid cylinder.
m1=3.5[kg]
m2=2.8[kg]
m3=1.9[kg]
R=0.089[m]

Find:
a) alpha of the pulley
b.)Ft1
c.)Ft2
d.)omega @ (6.9)

Homework Equations

I for solid cylinder = (1/2)M2R2
Fnet=ma
Torquenet=I*alpha
alpha=a/R

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a torque fbd for the pulley, I found I for the pulley, I drew fbd's for the boxes, got my equations like

m1-->
X) Ft1-Ff=m1a
Y) Fn-Fg=0

Fn=m1g
Ft1=m1a+Ff
Ft1=m1a+Mew*m1*gm2--->
Y) Ft2-Fg=m2(-a)
Ft2=-m2a+m2g
and finally

Torquenet=I*alpha so
Torque1=R*sin(90)*Ft1 = R*Ft1 (k)
Torque2=R*sin(90)*Ft2 = R*Ft2 (-k)
==>R*Ft1-R*Ft2=I*alpha

and alpha= a/R

So
R*(m1a+Mew*m1*g)-R*(-m2a+m2g)=((1/2)M3R2)*(a/R)

That equation just has one uknown --> a

For a i got 3.97[m/s2]
For alpha I am getting like 44 [rads/s2] and others are getting about about 16 [rad/s2]
Can someone spot what, if anything, I'm doing something wrong?EDIT: Sorry for the mistakes..

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It would be easier to spot an error if you showed your three primary equations (for m1, m2, and m3) and your solution for acceleration symbolically (without numerical values plugged in).

Which is which? Is m3 the pulley or the hanging mass?

Doc Al said:
Which is which? Is m3 the pulley or the hanging mass?

The question identifies the masses. m3 is the pulley

frozenguy said:

Homework Statement

There is a Mass (m1) on a table. The coefficient of friction between the table and m1 is 0.18. The second mass (m2) is hanging, suspended by a string around a pulley (m3) attached to m1. The pulley has a radius (R) and is considered a solid cylinder.
m1=3.5[kg]
m2=2.8[kg]
m3=1.9[kg]
R=0.089[m]

Find:
a) alpha of the pulley
b.)Ft1
c.)Ft2
d.)omega @ (6.9)

Homework Equations

I for solid cylinder = (1/2)M2R2
Fnet=ma
Torquenet=I*alpha
alpha=a/R

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a torque fbd for the pulley, I found I for the pulley, I drew fbd's for the boxes, got my equations like

m1-->
X) Ft1-Ff=m1a
Y) Fn-Fg=0

Fn=m3g

It should be m_1 there

nrqed said:
The question identifies the masses. m3 is the pulley

unfortunatly in my following equations though, I treated m3 as the mass used in Force of tension 2, where that should have been m2..

I'm starting to screw myself up now, after solving for a from that last equation I wrote up there, I got a different value for a then I originally got..

Then I realized that Ft1 is negative on my fbd, so I tried changing that and I got a totally different number that no one else has.

All I have to do is find my three equations, and solve for a right?? Why is this proving to be so difficult for me..

frozenguy said:
Torquenet=I*alpha so
Torque1=R*sin(90)*Ft1 = R*Ft1 (k)
Torque2=R*sin(90)*Ft2 = R*Ft2 (-k)
==>R*Ft1-R*Ft2=I*alpha
To make my point more clear: the rotation is clockwise, so the angular rotation is
alpha (-k), not alpha k . This is why we end up with

R*Ft1-R*Ft2=- I*alpha

or

-R*Ft1+R*Ft2= I*alpha

Last edited:

nrqed said:
You are on the right track! Don't get discouraged, you are almost done.

Looks to me like it should be -Ft1+R*Ft2= I alpha
since the mass m2 is falling, the torque on that side is larger than the torque from T1

Ok so with my original equation where I had Ft1 as a positive direction, the equation I got for a was this:

a=(g(m2-Mew*m1))/(m1+m2-(m3/2))

After changing the direction of Ft1 I get a is equal to

a= (-g(Mew*m1-m2))/((m3/2)-m1-m2)

They both result with a value of 3.97[m/s2] but the second equation results in a negative value.. doesn't that mean that one of my directions is off if the value is negative?

frozenguy said:
Ok so with my original equation where I had Ft1 as a positive direction, the equation I got for a was this:

a= (-g(Mew*m1-m2))/((m3/2)-m1-m2)

They both result with a value of 3.97[m/s2] but the second equation results in a negative value.. doesn't that mean that one of my directions is off if the value is negative?

There is something fishy going on, indeed. Give me a minute to double check everything.
Meanwhile, can you check carefully the question and make sure that it is exactly what you wrote in your post? Thanks

frozenguy said:

Wait...you have to change the sign of both Ft1 and Ft2 in your torque equation, not just one

Using

[tex] R T_2 - R T_1 = \frac{1}{2} m_3 R^2 \frac{a}{R} [/tex]

and using the same T2 and T1 you had, I find

[tex] a = \frac{m_3 g - \mu m_1 g}{m_3/2+m_1 + m_2 } [/tex]

Last edited:

nrqed said:
There is something fishy going on, indeed. Give me a minute to double check everything.
Meanwhile, can you check carefully the question and make sure that it is exactly what you wrote in your post? Thanks

diagram2.jpg

Last edited:

nrqed said:
Wait...you have to change the sign of both Ft1 and Ft2 in your torque equation, not just one

Why do I have to change the sign for Ft2? Its positive in the fbd for m3 and the torque from Ft2 is still out of the board (-)

frozenguy said:
diagram1.jpg

please note that I changed the pulley to m3 and the hanging mass to m2 when I posted; I forget why.

AHHH!
And where do they give the coefficient of friction?

In any case, the formula is

[tex] a = \frac{ m(hanging) g - \mu m(on \,table) g}{m(pulley)/2 + m(on \,table) + m(hanging)} [/tex]

frozenguy said:
Why do I have to change the sign for Ft2? Its positive in the fbd for m3 and the torque from Ft2 is still out of the board (-)

I mean that the correct equation is

Ft2 - Ft1 = I alpha

nrqed said:
I mean that the correct equation is

Ft2 - Ft1 = I alpha

I don't get how Ft2 is positive now though. Isn't it (-k) direction (so negative in torque equation) and positive in the fbd for m3?

frozenguy said:
I don't get how Ft2 is positive now though. Isn't it (-k) direction (so negative in torque equation) and positive in the fbd for m3?

This is what I explained in post number 7

The angular acceleration is clockwise. This means that the angular acceleration is alpha(-k)

So we get

T2 (-k) + T1 (k) = I alpha (-k)

therefore

-T2 + T1 = - I alpha

or

T2 - T1 = I alpha

nrqed said:
This is what I explained in post number 7

The angular acceleration is clockwise. This means that the angular acceleration is alpha(-k)

So we get

T2 (-k) + T1 (k) = I alpha (-k)

therefore

-T2 + T1 = - I alpha

or

T2 - T1 = I alpha
Oh..

Sorry, I didn't see post 7 somehow. Ok so that makes sense. I thought alpha could be positive and negative, infact I believed it must be able to be +or- but a peer said no. lol.. so it kind of escaped me..

Thank you so much.. So Ft1 will be = -m1a-Mew*m1g

because Ft1 itself is negative in the fbd for m3..

so with the negative Ft1 in the torque equation, that will distribute out and make those two factors positive (in Ft1 itself)

frozenguy said:
Oh..

Sorry, I didn't see post 7 somehow. Ok so that makes sense. I thought alpha could be positive and negative, infact I believed it must be able to be +or- but a peer said no. lol.. so it kind of escaped me..
well, one has to be very careful about the language used. To be exact, alpha itself is always positive (it's the magnitude of the angular acceleration). But the components of the angular acceleration vector may be negative. Note that when I write alpha (-k), the value of alpha itself is positive.
Thank you so much.. So Ft1 will be = -m1a-Mew*m1g

because Ft1 itself is negative in the fbd for m3..

so with the negative Ft1 in the torque equation, that will distribute out and make those two factors positive (in Ft1 itself)

not quite. T1 is positive. And it is given by T1 = m1 a + mu m1 g, as you had initially written.

nrqed said:
well, one has to be very careful about the language used. To be exact, alpha itself is always positive (it's the magnitude of the angular acceleration). But the components of the angular acceleration vector may be negative. Note that when I write alpha (-k), the value of alpha itself is positive.

not quite. T1 is positive. And it is given by T1 = m1 a + mu m1 g, as you had initially written.

Ok I got myself all mixed up... I'm on track now lol

Again, thanks so much..

oh, and the picture for some reason doesn't include the Mew, I apologize, but the written part of the question does.

So I get a=2.93 [m/s2]
alpha=33[rad/s2]

thank you!

What is a pulley?

A pulley is a simple machine that consists of a wheel with a groove around its circumference and a rope or belt that runs through the groove. It is used to change the direction of a force and make it easier to lift or move heavy objects.

How does a pulley work?

A pulley works by distributing the weight of an object between two or more ropes or cables. This allows for the weight to be shared between multiple points, making it easier to lift or move the object.

What is the purpose of using two boxes connected with a pulley?

The purpose of using two boxes connected with a pulley is to create a system where the weight of one box is counterbalanced by the weight of the other box, making it easier to lift or move the boxes. This is often used in scenarios where one box is heavier than the other, and it would be difficult for a person to lift it on their own.

What is the difference between a fixed pulley and a movable pulley?

A fixed pulley is attached to a surface and does not move, while a movable pulley is attached to the object being lifted and moves with it. In a system of two boxes connected with a pulley, one box would be attached to a fixed pulley, and the other box would be attached to a movable pulley.

What are the advantages of using a pulley system with two boxes?

The main advantage of using a pulley system with two boxes is that it reduces the amount of force needed to lift or move the boxes. By distributing the weight between multiple ropes and pulleys, the force required is reduced, making it easier for a person to lift or move the boxes. Additionally, using a pulley system can also help to prevent strain and injuries that may occur from lifting heavy objects.