Two Particle Schrodinger Equation in Polar Coordinates

In summary, The Schrodinger equation for two non-interacting particles constrained to move on a circle of radius R is derived by defining a coordinate system centered at the origin of the x-y plane, where the particles do not interact and there is no external potential. The Laplacian in spherical coordinates is used to simplify the Schrodinger equation and the resulting solution is found to be a linear combination of two terms, each having an imaginary component. Boundary conditions are then applied to determine the energy levels, which are found to be quantized in terms of a single parameter a. The degeneracy of the energy levels is determined by considering the distinguishability of the particles and their allowed states.
naharrison

Homework Statement

Consider two non-identical, non-interacting particles of mass M that are constrained to move on a circle of radius R. Write down the Schrodinger equation for this problem and find the eigenfunctions and energy levels of this system.

Homework Equations

(see below)

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by defining a coordinate system where the circle is centered at the origin of the x-y plane (z = 0). The particles don't interact and there is no external potential so V = 0. Also, using spherical coordinates, [tex] r = R, \ \theta = \frac{\pi}{2} [/tex] . I then wrote down the Schrodinger equation:

[tex] [-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m_{1}}\nabla^{2}_{1} - \frac{\hbar^2}{2m_{2}}\nabla^{2}_{2} + V]\psi(r,\theta,\phi) = E\psi(r,\theta,\phi) [/tex]

The Laplacian in spherical coordinates is:

[tex] \frac{\partial^2}{\partial r^2} + \frac{2}{r}\frac{\partial}{\partial r} + \frac{1}{r^2}[\frac{1}{sin\theta}\frac{\partial}{\partial\theta}(sin\theta\frac{\partial}{\partial\theta}) + \frac{1}{sin^2\theta}\frac{\partial^2}{\partial \phi^2}] [/tex]

Since r and theta are fixed, the Schrodinger equation reduces to:

[tex] \frac{1}{2}(\frac{\hbar}{R})^2(m_1 + m_2)\frac{\partial^2\psi}{\partial\phi^2} + E\psi = 0 [/tex]

letting [tex] a = \sqrt{\frac{2R^2E}{\hbar^2(m_1 + m_2)}} [/tex] the solution of the Schrodinger equation is:

[tex] \psi = Ae^{a\phi} + Be^{-a\phi} [/tex]

This is where I get stuck. I assume the next step is to apply boundary conditions which will then give the energy levels. How do you do this in this situation? I tried:

[tex] \psi(0) = \psi(2\pi) [/tex]
[tex] \frac{\partial\psi(0)}{\partial\phi} = \frac{\partial\psi(2\pi)}{\partial\phi} [/tex]

but the results didn't make any sense. Any thoughts? Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
naharrison said:
[tex] \frac{1}{2}(\frac{\hbar}{R})^2(m_1 + m_2)\frac{\partial^2\psi}{\partial\phi^2} + E\psi = 0 [/tex]
How did you get the mass to the numerator?
naharrison said:
letting [tex] a = \sqrt{\frac{2R^2E}{\hbar^2(m_1 + m_2)}} [/tex] the solution of the Schrodinger equation is:

[tex] \psi = Ae^{a\phi} + Be^{-a\phi} [/tex]
You are missing an [itex]i[/itex] in both terms. Also please check the dimension of [itex]a[/itex]. With that applying b.c. should give you the quantisation condition on E.

Thank you for your help. Both careless mistakes, I need to be more careful. Now I am trying to determine the degeneracy of the first three energy levels. Here is my logic, I am not sure if it is correct.

Ground state degeneracy = 2. Neither particle is excited, but since they are distinguishable you could swap their positions and get a different state with the same energy. So, state 1 = particle X in ground state at position 1 and particle Y in ground state at position 2; state 2 = particle X in ground state at position 2 and particle Y in ground state at position 1.

First excited state degeneracy = 4. One particle is excited and the other one isn't, and again you can flip their positions to get another state.

Second excited state. This one is more difficult. It seems to depend on which of the following situations has a larger energy, one particle in its second excited state and one particle in its ground state, or both particles in their first excited state. In the first situation the degeneracy would be 4, in the second situation the degeneracy would be 2.

Here is one more thing that is confusing me. After I correct the mistakes from my first post I get the energy to be [tex] E = \frac{\hbar^2 n^2}{4MR^2} \ , \ n = 0,1,2,3,... [/tex] Clearly there is a unique value of energy for each value of [itex] n [/itex]. How could you determine the degeneracies just from this equation for the energy levels? Thanks again for any feedback.

where [itex] m_1 = m_2 = M \ [/itex] (this is given in the original question) sorry for not mentioning that.

fyi I am just learning this too

Was V=0 given in the problem?

The particles are confined to a circle of radius R, I would have guessed there would be an infinite potential barrier at r=R.

regardless, from what I have learned thus far,to calculate the eigenfunctions and energy levels, consider a general wave function that describes a system two particles

psi( r1,ms1, r2,ms2) i think you only need polar rather than spherical coordinates

where r1 is the radius of the first particle, ms1 is the internal angular momentum of the first particle and so forth

Since the particles are non interacting, the ms term can be ignored
leaving psi(r1,r2)=psi(r1)psi(r2). I believe you solve psi(r1)psi(r2) separately, but they should be the same wave function

I would solve the energy levels for each particle separately, taking

E(total)=E1n E2n

Also, exchanging coordinates of non-interacting particles won't affect the probability distribution

hence psi(r1,r2)=psi(r2,r1)

JFuld said:
Was V=0 given in the problem?

The particles are confined to a circle of radius R, I would have guessed there would be an infinite potential barrier at r=R.

V=0 was not explicitly given, but the particles do not interact and and no other external potential is given. I think you are confusing ON a circle with INSIDE a circle. If they were confined to move inside a circle, then yes, I think there would be an infinite potential at r=R. However this just has the particles moving ON the circle. It is like a particle moving in just the x-direction in Cartesian coordinates, there is no need to assume infinite potential barriers keeping it on the x-axis.

I think you are right about solving for the energy levels separately. This would lead to:
[itex] E^{(1)}_n = bn^2 [/itex] and [itex] E^{(2)}_{n'} = bn'^2 [/itex] where [itex] b = \frac{\hbar^2}{2MR^2} [/itex]. Therefore,
[tex] E^{total}_{n,n'} = b(n^2 + n'^2) [/tex]
Therefore, the ground state is [itex] n = 0 \ , \ n' = 0 [/itex] leading to [itex] E = 0 [/itex]
And the first excited state is [itex] n = 1 \ , \ n' = 0 [/itex] OR [itex] n = 0 \ , \ n' = 1 [/itex] leading to [itex] E = b [/itex]
And the second excited state is [itex] n = 1 \ , \ n' = 1 [/itex] leading to [itex] E = 2b [/itex]
And the third excited state (which is not asked for in the problem, but I will include it anyway) is [itex] n = 2 \ , \ n' = 0 [/itex] or [itex] n = 0 \ , \ n' = 2 [/itex] leading to [itex] E = 4b [/itex]

If [itex] g_n [/itex] is the degeneracy of the [itex] n^{th} [/itex] excited state then [itex] g_0 = 1, \ g_1 = 2, \ g_2 = 1 [/itex]. Is this correct?

1. What is the Two Particle Schrodinger Equation in Polar Coordinates?

The Two Particle Schrodinger Equation in Polar Coordinates is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of two particles in a quantum system. It is an extension of the Schrodinger Equation, which is used to describe the behavior of a single particle. The equation takes into account the polar coordinates of the particles, including their distance from each other and their angles.

2. How is the Two Particle Schrodinger Equation in Polar Coordinates derived?

The Two Particle Schrodinger Equation in Polar Coordinates is derived using the principles of quantum mechanics and the Schrodinger Equation. It involves converting the Cartesian coordinates of the particles into polar coordinates and then using the polar coordinate version of the Schrodinger Equation to describe their behavior. The resulting equation takes into account the potential energy of the particles and their wave functions.

3. What are the applications of the Two Particle Schrodinger Equation in Polar Coordinates?

The Two Particle Schrodinger Equation in Polar Coordinates has many applications in physics, chemistry, and engineering. It is used to study the behavior of particles in quantum systems, such as atoms, molecules, and solids. It is also used in fields like quantum computing, where the behavior of multiple particles interacting with each other is crucial for understanding and designing quantum algorithms.

4. What are the limitations of the Two Particle Schrodinger Equation in Polar Coordinates?

Like any mathematical model, the Two Particle Schrodinger Equation in Polar Coordinates has its limitations. It assumes that the particles in the system are non-interacting, which may not always be the case. It also does not take into account relativistic effects, such as the particles' speeds approaching the speed of light. Additionally, the equation does not account for the effects of external forces on the particles.

5. Are there any alternative equations for describing the behavior of two particles in a quantum system?

Yes, there are alternative equations for describing the behavior of two particles in a quantum system. One example is the Hartree-Fock equation, which takes into account the interactions between particles but still assumes a non-relativistic system. Other equations, such as the Dirac equation, can describe the behavior of particles at relativistic speeds. The choice of equation depends on the specific system being studied and the level of accuracy needed for the analysis.