Two Pulley Problem: Solve & Find Correct Answer

In summary, the problem is to find the accelerations of the two blocks. The question is attached as an image and the conversation revolves around solving it. The main points discussed are the equations and the unknowns involved, the role of tension in the string, and the effect of the 30 degree angle and the vertical hanging of the weight. The correct answer is not provided, but it is mentioned that the tension may not be the same throughout the string. It is also suggested to think about the forces acting on the weight and to consider a tug of war scenario.
ietr
Tried the problem but answer is not matching with the given answer. Can you tell me what is the correct answer and how you got it? (problem is attached as image)

Attachments

• pullley problem.JPG
    pullley problem.JPG
    5.6 KB · Views: 377
Physics news on Phys.org
The question is to find the accelerations of the two blocks

Why don't you show us what you tried and what your result was and we can point you in the correct direction? It will be much more instructive.

Okay. I got that question now, but this one is really troubling me. This is what I've tried sofar:

First I draw FBD for each of the blocks. Applying F = MA for each block:

500 g block
----------------
500 g = 1/2 kg
The string attached to it has a tension T.
let it have an acceleration a1 downward: 1/2g - T = 1/2 (a1)

100 g block
----------------
100 g = 1/10 kg
taking the components, we have gsin(30) along the string and gcos(30) canceled by normal reaction.
Let it have an acceleration of a2 downward on the incline then
F = MA
(1/10) g sin(30) - T = (1/10) a2

50 g block
---------------
50 g = 50/1000 = 1/20 kg
let it have an acceleration a3 downward then
(1/20) g - T = (1/20) a3

Obviously there is some error in the above three equations because there are four unknowns: T, a1, a2 and a3.
I'm having trouble understanding this:
* Will the tension remain T along all segments of the string, unlike what I have assumed above?
* Since the string length is constant, the accelerations a1, a2 and a3 must be equal but if we set them all equal to 'a', then we have only two unknowns T and 'a' and three equations, and further on solving them we do not get the correct answer.

Attachments

• pullley problem.JPG
    pullley problem.JPG
    8.7 KB · Views: 306
ietr said:
Obviously there is some error in the above three equations because there are four unknowns: T, a1, a2 and a3.
I'm having trouble understanding this:
* Will the tension remain T along all segments of the string, unlike what I have assumed above?

If instead of being inclined by 30 degrees, the thread would be hanging vertically with a 100 g weight in the middle, would the tension be the same above and below the weight?

* Since the string length is constant, the accelerations a1, a2 and a3 must be equal but if we set them all equal to 'a', then we have only two unknowns T and 'a' and three equations, and further on solving them we do not get the correct answer.

Yes, the accelerations have to be of equal magnitude - but be very mindful of their direction, if one of the ends accelerates up, the other end accelerates down.

Orodruin said:
If instead of being inclined by 30 degrees, the thread would be hanging vertically with a 100 g weight in the middle, would the tension be the same above and below the weight?
I guess that yes the tension would be T in both the sides of the weight

Yes, the accelerations have to be of equal magnitude - but be very mindful of their direction, if one of the ends accelerates up, the other end accelerates down.

if a1 = a2 = a3, and we assume that their directions are:
a1 : of 500 g downwards
a2: of 100 g upwards along the incline
a3: of 50 g upwards

then the equations become (assuming that the tension is T along the length of the string)

(1/2)g - T = (1/2)a
T - (1/10)g sin(30) = (1/10)a
T - (1/20)g = (1/20)a

Solving these equations for 'a', we get a = (3/4)g from the first two equations and a = (9/11)g from the first and third equations. How can there be two values of 'a'?

ietr said:
if a1 = a2 = a3, and we assume that their directions are:
a1 : of 500 g downwards
a2: of 100 g upwards along the incline
a3: of 50 g upwards

then the equations become (assuming that the tension is T along the length of the string)

(1/2)g - T = (1/2)a
T - (1/10)g sin(30) = (1/10)a
T - (1/20)g = (1/20)a

Solving these equations for 'a', we get a = (3/4)g from the first two equations and a = (9/11)g from the first and third equations. How can there be two values of 'a'?
It's not clear from your diagram how the 100g block is attached. Looks to like there are (logically, at least) two separate strings - one runs from the 500g block, over the top pulley, to the 100g block; the second runs from the 100g block, over the lower pulley, to the 50g block. There is no reason why the tensions should be the same in the two sections of string.

haruspex said:
It's not clear from your diagram how the 100g block is attached. Looks to like there are (logically, at least) two separate strings - one runs from the 500g block, over the top pulley, to the 100g block; the second runs from the 100g block, over the lower pulley, to the 50g block. There is no reason why the tensions should be the same in the two sections of string.

It does not matter much how it is attached. What matters is that it is attached (and parallel to the inlined plane).

ietr: You should also try to think a bit more about what happens for the weight on the inclined plane. What forces from the threads are acting upon it?

Also, think a bit what happens if you are in a tug of war contest. If the guy on your team who is in front of you happens to be so strong that he easily defeats the other team by himself, what is the rope tension you need to provide to the rope between you to win? What is the rope tension between him and the opposing team?

Orodruin said:
It does not matter much how it is attached. What matters is that it is attached (and parallel to the inlined plane).
No, it does matter. Within the range of possibilities in the diagram, the 100g block would tip over, even if there is no friction.
But as I posted, ietr's error is in taking the tension as the same throughout. There are effectively two separate strings.

Related to Two Pulley Problem: Solve & Find Correct Answer

1. How do I solve a two pulley problem?

Solving a two pulley problem involves using the principles of physics, specifically torque and rotational equilibrium. The first step is to draw a free body diagram and label all the forces acting on the pulleys and the objects they are connected to. Then, use the equations τ = rF and Στ = 0 to find the unknown forces and tensions.

2. What is the difference between a fixed and a movable pulley?

A fixed pulley is attached to a stationary object and only changes the direction of the applied force. A movable pulley is attached to the object being lifted and changes both the direction and magnitude of the applied force. In a two pulley problem, both types of pulleys are often used together.

3. What is the correct way to set up a two pulley problem?

The correct way to set up a two pulley problem is to draw a diagram with the pulleys and objects, label all the forces acting on them, and write down the known and unknown values. It is important to choose a coordinate system and stick to it throughout the problem.

4. How do I know if my answer to a two pulley problem is correct?

To check if your answer is correct, you can use the equations ΣF = ma and Στ = Iα to ensure that the forces and torques are balanced. You can also compare your answer to the expected outcome, such as the weight of the object or the tension in the rope, to see if they are reasonable.

5. Can two pulley problems be solved using different methods?

Yes, there are multiple methods for solving two pulley problems, such as using vector analysis, energy conservation, or the concept of work. It is important to choose the method that you are most comfortable with and that will yield the most accurate and efficient solution.