Two reels rolling without slipping

In summary, the conversation discusses two identical cylindrical reels with a mass M and composed of a cylinder with radius R and two side cylinders with radius 2R. The goal is to find the angular acceleration and work done by a force F in delta t. The torque on the first cylinder is 3RF-RT, while on the second it is RT. The conversation also considers the fact that the rope is not extensible and therefore the two cylinders should have the same angular acceleration. The final solution involves calculating the friction force and using it to determine the angular acceleration and work done by the force F.
bznm

Homework Statement

3q8Ftmn.jpg
[/B]
I have two cylindric reels laying on the ground. They are identical: mass M, composed by a cylinder of radius R and two side cylinders of radius 2R. I have to find angular acceleration and work done by F in delta t.

2. The attempt at a solution

On the first cylinder the torque is ##\tau_1=3RF-RT##, while on the second is ##\tau_2=RT##
as the rope isn't extensible the two cylinders should have the same angular acceleration.
So ##\alpha_1=\alpha_2##
##3RF-3RT=RT##
##T=-\frac{3}{2} F##

##\alpha=R/I *3/2 F=\frac{3RF}{2I}##
Angular velocity of cylinder is ##\omega = \alpha t = \frac{3RF}{2I} t##.
Kinetic energy of the first cylinder is ##1/2 I \omega^2= \frac{9R^2F^2t^2}{8I}## and this is also the work done by F plus the work done by T on the first cylinder. But as ##T/F=-3/2## and they are applied in the same way with respect to the displacement I expect ##W_T/W_F=-3/2## so ##W_F=2/5 \Delta K##. Is it correct?
Thanks a lot

Physics news on Phys.org
bznm said:
On the first cylinder the torque is ##\tau_1=3RF−RT##, while on the second is ##\tau_2=RT##
as the rope isn't extensible the two cylinders should have the same angular acceleration.
Interesting, can you explain ?
The rope can roll up (or off) on the reels, I presume ?
[edit] A bit late, but I get it. Let me sit back and think a little longer before posting :nb)

BvU said:
Interesting, can you explain ?
The rope can roll up (or off) on the reels, I presume ?
Oh my gosh, you're right.. I'm totally wrong(i don't know why but I considered it as a rod) and I don't know what to do now :/

But the "##\tau_1=3RF−RT##, while on the second is ##\tau_2=RT##" is correct. That gives angular acceleration and therefore also (uniformly) accelerated translation

BvU said:
But the "##\tau_1=3RF−RT##, while on the second is ##\tau_2=RT##" is correct. That gives angular acceleration and therefore also (uniformly) accelerated translation
I tried: (where A is friction force)
## F-A-T=M a_1 = M \alpha_1 2R ##
## T-A=M a_2 = M \alpha_2 2R ##

Subtracting, I get: ##F-2T=M(2R)(\alpha_1-\alpha_2)##
##F-2T=M(2R)\frac{3RF-2RT}{I}##
##T=F\frac{1+6MR^2 / I}{2+4MR^2 / I}##

Is it correct?
What about the work? Is it correct my reasoning in applying kinetic energy theorem?

Related to Two reels rolling without slipping

1. What is "Two reels rolling without slipping"?

"Two reels rolling without slipping" is a physics concept that describes the motion of two cylindrical objects (reels) that are rolling without any slipping between their surfaces.

2. How is the motion of two reels without slipping different from regular rolling motion?

In regular rolling motion, there is some slipping between the surfaces of the two objects. However, in "Two reels rolling without slipping", there is no slipping between the surfaces, resulting in a smoother and more consistent motion.

3. What are some real-life examples of "Two reels rolling without slipping"?

One example is the motion of two bicycle tires rolling on the ground without slipping. Another example is the motion of gears in a clock or watch that are designed to roll without slipping.

4. What factors affect the motion of "Two reels rolling without slipping"?

The radius and mass of the reels, the coefficient of friction between the surfaces, and the force or torque applied to the reels can all affect the motion of "Two reels rolling without slipping".

5. How is "Two reels rolling without slipping" relevant in the field of physics?

"Two reels rolling without slipping" is relevant in many areas of physics, including mechanics, kinematics, and dynamics. It helps us understand the principles of motion and how different forces and factors can affect the movement of objects in our world.