1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ultimate strength

1. Oct 3, 2006 #1
    A solid steel ball is hung at the bottom of a steel wire length 2 meters and radius of 1mm. The ultimate strength of steel is 1.1 X 10^9 N/m^2. What is the mass of the biggest ball the wire can bare.

This seems like a pretty straight forward question. I am guessing the 2 meter radius doesn't matter. I am thinking that you need to find the area of a cross section of the 1mm wire. I am not sure what to do next.

2nd part ... what is the period of torsional oscillation of the system?
    The shear modulus of steel = 8x10^10 N/m^2 and the interia is (2MR^2)/5.

Here I think you need to use the equation... T = 2pi * (I/c)^.5 where C is the shear modulus. I can't figure this part out. Do i need to worry about the cross sectional area here also?

Thank you very much everyone!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2006 #2
    Let's say you found the area of the cross-section to be A. Well, if it is [tex] \frac{1.1 \times 10^9}{1m^2}[/tex], how much is it for [tex]\frac{x}{A}[/tex]. And notice that this is not the final answer. It will give you the maximum force that that specific thickness of steel wire can resist.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?