What is the percentage uncertainty in V when L1-L2 is 30?

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the percentage uncertainty in V, where V is determined by the difference between two lengths, L1 and L2. The given information includes the uncertainties in each length and the equation for determining V. The individual describes their method of adding the uncertainties and determining the percentage uncertainty, but questions whether they have made a mistake. The expert responds that their method is correct and that there is no guarantee in their opinion. The expert also asks why the difference between the lengths is not written as 30.0 if the uncertainty is 0.2.
Rohan1997

Homework Statement

My homework question says: the uncertainty in length 1 is +/- 0.1 and in length 2 is +/- 0.1 : calculate the percentage uncertainty in V where V

L1-L2 is 30

Homework Equations

V= (1/(L1-L2))^0.5 where L is the length[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

So what I did was add the two uncertainties to get +/- 0.2
I then worked out percentage uncertainty by doing 0.2/30 *100%

and then I multiplied my answer by 0.5 since it is being square rooted.

Is this correct or have I made a mistake somewhere in my method?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have learned to add uncertainties linearly, then: yes (correct) and no (no mistake) :smile:

BvU said:
If you have learned to add uncertainties linearly, then: yes (correct) and no (no mistake) :smile:

Your welcome, but mind you: it's an opinion: there's no guarantee

And: If the uncertainty in L1 - L2 is 0.2, why isn't this difference written as 30.0 ?

BvU said:
Your welcome, but mind you: it's an opinion: there's no guarantee

And: If the uncertainty in L1 - L2 is 0.2, why isn't this difference written as 30.0 ?
don't know what your talking about sorry

1. What is uncertainty calculation?

Uncertainty calculation is a method used in science to quantify the level of uncertainty or error associated with a measurement or calculation. It takes into account the precision and accuracy of the measurement or calculation, as well as any potential sources of error.

2. Why is uncertainty calculation important?

Uncertainty calculation is important because it allows scientists to determine the reliability and accuracy of their results. It also helps in making informed decisions and drawing conclusions based on the data collected.

3. How is uncertainty calculated?

Uncertainty is typically calculated by using statistical methods, such as standard deviation or confidence intervals. It can also be estimated by considering the precision of the instrument used and any potential sources of error.

4. What are some common sources of uncertainty?

Some common sources of uncertainty include measurement errors, limitations of the measuring instrument, and variations in experimental conditions. Human error and limitations in the experimental design can also contribute to uncertainty.

5. How can uncertainty be reduced?

Uncertainty can be reduced by improving the precision and accuracy of measurements, using more advanced and precise instruments, and controlling for potential sources of error. It is also important to repeat experiments multiple times to account for any random variations that may affect the results.