Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unsolicited Subscriptions

1. Apr 20, 2004 #1

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What's going on? I just got two e-mails notifying me of new posts in threads to which I had subscribed --- detail: I ain't subscribed to nuttin'. Anyone else having this happen to them?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2004 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Go to your user control panel options page, and select "No email notification" from the "Default Thread Subscription Mode" pull-down menu.

- Warren

4. Apr 20, 2004 #3

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It happened to me too. You will also have to unsubscribe to the threads, that menu is also in the User CP. In there just push the button select all subscribed threads and toggle box unsubscribe.

5. Apr 20, 2004 #4

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

wow! i had about 20 physics forums emails! my inbox has never been so full! i feel so loved...hehe

6. Apr 20, 2004 #5

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

I got 12 emails. Yay.

7. Apr 20, 2004 #6

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

25 :tongue:

8. Apr 20, 2004 #7

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I noticed last week that I was suddenly being subscribed to all threads I responded to, even though I had previously set no subscriptions as my default. Apparantly Greg had done some work and all defaults had been erased. I noticed in time to unsubscribe and avoided a deluge of e-mails. :biggrin:

Just go to edit options, Default Thread Subscription Mode: select "do not subscribe"

Last edited: Apr 20, 2004
  9. Apr 20, 2004 #8

FZ+

Yeah. I just noticed this, as well. My guess is that when they were adding the options for "Exclude usenet searches" etc, they reset everyone's options to the defaults.

-FZ+ currently running on the world's crappiest computer after a massive system crash. Thank you, Bill Gates.

10. Apr 20, 2004 #9

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

I am Rudy Guiliani. I command you to go to the dark side.

http://www.gentoo.org/

:cool:

11. Apr 20, 2004 #10

Evo

Also, you will need to got to UCP, select “view all subscribed threads” and deselect any threads listed that you see there, otherwise you will continue to get e-mail notifications on these, even after you reset your subscription default to “do not subscribe”, that only stops you from auto subscribing going forward.

Poor FZ+, I feel your pain. :frown:

12. Apr 20, 2004 #11

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm frankly not quite sure how this happened, but it did not coincide with my adding the 'exclude usenet posts' feature. I noticed being subscribed to threads before I did that. The autosubscribe option is also actually stored in a completely different field in the database than are the other options, like 'exclude usenet posts'.

- Warren

13. Apr 20, 2004 #12

Evo

It happened around the 12th? It's been at least a week, it happened with the change that also switched the e-mail notification to every two weeks. It wasn't your change chroot.

14. Apr 20, 2004 #13
    Ive noticed a lot of subscriptions as well, and I wasn't quite sure how to get rid of them. I wouldnt be suprised that with this reply it subscribes me up for this thread as well. At least now I know how to get rid of them (my e-mail is starting to get a little thick).

EDIT: Yup, it ironically subscribed me to this thread :smile:

15. Apr 20, 2004 #14

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

motai,

Turn off your subscription option.

- Warren

16. Apr 20, 2004 #15
    You guys almost got me expelled. =\

I was only some 4,000,000 messages away from them coming to eat me alive, and at 22 a wee--er, nevermind.

cookiemonster

17. Apr 20, 2004 #16

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

How? I dunno. When? "Yesterday." could we get rid of that and use real dates, please? Just two threads --- I've posted in both --- neither was recent --- no others came up as "subscribed" --- and nothing had messed with "autosubscribe = off" in my control panel.

I had visions that someone had hacked the forum and was specifically messing with my account --- it's more general than just me, and exhibiting all the quirks of a "feature."

Gotta love commercial software.

18. Apr 20, 2004 #17

Evo

Hey Bystander, I checked and you had only posted to two threads since 4-10, so those would have been the only threads that you would have gotten subscribed to. Since the default for e-mail notification was re-set to every 2 weeks, all the e-mails accrued until yesterday.

I feel bad, I was going to post that I found that all the defaults had been reset last week, but I thought it was obvious because of the appearance of the checkmarks in the thread lists. :frown:

19. Apr 21, 2004 #18

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

An attack of "CRS" on my part --- coulda looked, too.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?