Unsteady state heat transfer differential equation

In summary, the conversation discusses the solution to a heat transfer problem in a cylinder with a constant heat flux entering one end and a maintained temperature on the other. The problem involves finding the transient unsteady temperature profiles after a sudden change in current flow through the wire. The conversation also discusses using conservation of energy and Fourier's Law to solve for the steady state and unsteady state components of the problem. The main confusion arises when trying to understand why the term for heat generation (S) and the term for T1 (from the steady state solution) are neglected in the unsteady state equation. However, it is clarified that these terms cancel due to the conditions placed on the steady state equation.
Mangoes
I'm going through the solution to a problem that was assigned to my class and there's a step I don't really understand which I think is a concept I'm misunderstanding.

1. Homework Statement

The curved surface of a cylinder of radius R and length L is insulated. The face at x = L is maintained at To and a constant heat flux qo enters the rod at x = 0. The temperature profile in the cylinder is at steady state.

At t > 0, the current flow through the wire generates heat at a volumetric rate S. Determine the transient unsteady temperature profiles in the rod after this sudden change. The density, specific heat, and thermal conductivity of the rod are ρ, C, and k respectively.

Homework Equations

Fourier's Law:

[tex] q = -k\frac{dT}{dx} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

For unsteady state problems, I've been taught to first solve the steady state component first and then tackle the unsteady state.

I apply conservation of energy with respect to the rate of accumulation of energy in the cylinder. Since the system is in steady state, accumulation is 0. For the steady state, there is no generation of energy. I also use the definition of flux (flux = (flow rate)/(area)) to express rate. I use a differential shell to write the balance.

Rate Accumulation = Rate In - Rate Out + Rate Gen

[tex] 0 = q[x]*A - q[x+Δx]*A [/tex]

Note that q[x] means flux evaluated at x and q[x+Δx] means flux evaluated at x + Δx. A is area. I divide out A and divide by Δx and take the limit as Δx→0 to get:

[tex] 0 = \frac{dq}{dx} [/tex]

Applying Fourier's law,

[tex] 0 = \frac{d^2T}{dx^2} [/tex]

This is a simple ordinary differential equation which can easily be solved for. In solving the two constants, I use the initial conditions q[x=0] = qo and T[x=L] = To. The solution isn't important to where I'm getting stuck at, but I use a similar approach for the unsteady state which is why I bothered even including this.

Now, for the unsteady state, there's a heat generating term and accumulation isn't 0 anymore.

Rate Accumulation = Rate In - Rate Out + Rate Gen

[tex] \frac{dE}{dt} = q[x]*A - q[x+Δx]*A + S*A*Δx [/tex]

S is given as a rate per unit volume, so multiplying it by volume will give the rate of heat generation.

Now I note that

[tex] \frac{dE}{dt} = (A*Δx)(ρ)(C)\frac{dT}{dt} [/tex]

I can replace my accumulation term with something in terms of temperature now. Once again, dividing out A and dividing by Δx and taking the limit as Δx→0,

[tex] ρC \frac{dT}{dt} = -\frac{dq}{dx} + S [/tex]

Applying Fourier's law once again:

[tex] ρC \frac{∂T}{∂t} = k\frac{∂^2T}{∂x^2} + S [/tex]

Now, basically the main insight I'm supposed to make at this point is that eventually my system will get to steady state. This means I should be able to split my temperature profile equation into two components: a component dependent on space only which will be the only term as t becomes very large, and a component dependent on both space and time which will be important during the time in which the system is in unsteady state.

So,

[tex] T(x,t) = T_1(x) + T_2(x,t) [/tex]

Applying the postulate to the equation above it with the partials gives me.

[tex] ρC \frac{∂T_2}{∂t} = k\frac{∂^2}{∂x^2}(T_1 + T_2) + S [/tex]

Note that I killed off the space-dependent term on the LHS because it's being differentiated with respect to time.

Here's where I'm getting confused.

I can write two equations from the above. One for when steady state is reached and one for unsteady state.

In steady state, nothing is going to be changing with respect to time, so the LHS is 0 and the following must be true:

[tex] 0 = k\frac{∂^2T_1}{∂x^2} + S [/tex]

Meanwhile, in unsteady state, I would think that the following equation is true:

[tex] ρC \frac{∂T_2}{∂t} = k\frac{∂^2}{∂x^2}(T_1 + T_2) + S [/tex]

But according to the solution I'm being given, the equation is supposed to be:

[tex] ρC \frac{∂T_2}{∂t} = k\frac{∂^2T_2}{∂x^2} [/tex]

I'm not understanding why this is. Why would we be able to neglect both the change in T1 and the volumetric rate S?

Apologies for the long post but I couldn't really think of a way to cut this down much.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Mangoes said:
I'm not understanding why this is. Why would we be able to neglect both the change in T1 and the volumetric rate S?
You are not neglecting them. You are using the fact that these terms cancel due to the steady state differential equation.

Orodruin said:
You are not neglecting them. You are using the fact that these terms cancel due to the steady state differential equation.

I'm not really understanding why they cancel. The only thing I can see being canceled in steady state considerations are time-dependent factors, which neither S or T1 is.

You have written down the differential equation the stationary state should satisfy. Use it!

Note that I am not saying they are zero, I am saying that they cancel because of the conditions you put on the steady state.

Edit: To put it in another way: Solve for S in the steady state equation and insert it into your new equation...

Likes Mangoes
Orodruin said:
You have written down the differential equation the stationary state should satisfy. Use it!

Note that I am not saying they are zero, I am saying that they cancel because of the conditions you put on the steady state.

Edit: To put it in another way: Solve for S in the steady state equation and insert it into your new equation...

Ohhh, I was looking at it completely wrong. I was misinterpreting where the last equation was coming from. What you're saying makes much more sense. Thanks a lot, much appreciated!

On an additional note, you could have let the stationary solution have any inhomogeneity, which would have resulted in a different PDE for the dynamic solution. However, the one chosen removes the inhomogeneity from the dynamic PDE, which makes it easier to solve.

What is the unsteady state heat transfer differential equation?

The unsteady state heat transfer differential equation is a mathematical equation used to describe the rate of heat transfer in a system that is not in a steady state. It takes into account the change in temperature over time and the properties of the materials involved.

What are the variables in the unsteady state heat transfer differential equation?

The variables in the unsteady state heat transfer differential equation include the temperature, time, and properties of the materials such as thermal conductivity, heat capacity, and density. Boundary conditions, such as initial and boundary temperatures, are also considered.

How is the unsteady state heat transfer differential equation different from the steady state equation?

The steady state heat transfer equation assumes that the temperature in the system does not change over time, while the unsteady state equation accounts for the change in temperature over time. The steady state equation also does not consider the properties of the materials involved, while the unsteady state equation takes them into account.

What are the applications of the unsteady state heat transfer differential equation?

The unsteady state heat transfer differential equation is used in many fields, including engineering, physics, and chemistry. It can be applied to various systems, such as heat exchangers, cooling systems, and chemical reactions, to analyze and predict the rate of heat transfer.

How is the unsteady state heat transfer differential equation solved?

The unsteady state heat transfer differential equation can be solved using numerical methods, such as finite difference or finite element methods, or analytical methods, such as separation of variables. The appropriate method depends on the complexity of the system and the available data.