Use centrifugal pump as air pump?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of delivering air up to 5 meters high using a hydraulic centrifugal pump. However, it is uncertain if a centrifugal pump can effectively move air, as it is primarily designed for liquids. The requirements for flow rate, pressure, and application are not specified. It is also noted that a centrifugal water pump may have difficulty pumping air due to lubrication and cooling concerns. Overall, the feasibility of using a centrifugal pump for this purpose is uncertain.
Shane Lautner
I need to deliver air up to 5 meters high. I am thinking of using pump since I can find easily (no buying anything). Is it possible to deliver air using hydraulic centrifugal pump ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
What do you mean by "deliver air to 5 meters high"? What are the actual requirements for flow rate and pressure? What is your application?

Generally centrifugal pumps won't pump air, that's why I've spent a significant portion of my life priming the b£&&ers.

A centrifugal water pump will have a specified self priming height. That is the height it will lift water when the pump contains air only.
Water pumps have shaft seals that require lubrication and cooling by water. That may be a problem pumping air.
You may need a greater RPM than the bearings are rated to get significant air pressure.

Shane Lautner said:
I need to deliver air up to 5 meters high.
Does that mean you want an output air pressure equivalent to a 5m head of water ?

The OP has some very vague questions. Is it possible for a centrifugal pump to move air? Kinda depends on where you draw the line between air pump and fan I suppose. There are some fairly large fans that can move a fair amount of air that closely resemble centrifugal liquid pumps.

Many large air compressors are centrifugal, so depending on language barrier issues, we may be talking about a water pump or an air pump/compressor.

1. What is a centrifugal pump?

A centrifugal pump is a mechanical device used to move fluids by converting rotational kinetic energy into hydrodynamic energy. It utilizes a rotating impeller to increase the speed of the fluid, creating a centrifugal force that moves the fluid through the pump and into a discharge pipe.

2. Can a centrifugal pump be used as an air pump?

Yes, a centrifugal pump can be used as an air pump by reversing the direction of its rotation. This will cause the impeller to draw air in through the suction pipe and push it out through the discharge pipe.

3. What are the benefits of using a centrifugal pump as an air pump?

Using a centrifugal pump as an air pump can be beneficial because it is a cost-effective and efficient solution. Centrifugal pumps are designed to handle large volumes of fluid, so they can also handle a high volume of air. Additionally, they have a simple design and require minimal maintenance.

4. What are the limitations of using a centrifugal pump as an air pump?

One limitation of using a centrifugal pump as an air pump is that it is not as efficient as a specialized air pump. Centrifugal pumps are designed for moving fluids, so they may not be able to create as much pressure as an air pump. Additionally, using a centrifugal pump for air may cause wear and tear on the impeller and other components.

5. How do I convert a centrifugal pump into an air pump?

To convert a centrifugal pump into an air pump, you will need to reverse the direction of its rotation. This can typically be done by switching the wiring of the motor or by manually adjusting the impeller. It is important to note that this conversion may require modifications to the pump and should only be done by a trained professional.