1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Use centrifugal pump as air pump?

1. Aug 31, 2015 #1
    I need to deliver air up to 5 meters high. I am thinking of using pump since I can find easily (no buying anything). Is it possible to deliver air using hydraulic centrifugal pump ?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2015 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

4. Aug 31, 2015 #3

cjl

What do you mean by "deliver air to 5 meters high"? What are the actual requirements for flow rate and pressure? What is your application?

5. Aug 31, 2015 #4
    Generally centrifugal pumps won't pump air, that's why I've spent a significant portion of my life priming the b£&&ers.

6. Aug 31, 2015 #5

Baluncore

Science Advisor

A centrifugal water pump will have a specified self priming height. That is the height it will lift water when the pump contains air only.
    Water pumps have shaft seals that require lubrication and cooling by water. That may be a problem pumping air.
    You may need a greater RPM than the bearings are rated to get significant air pressure.

Does that mean you want an output air pressure equivalent to a 5m head of water ?

7. Sep 1, 2015 #6

Averagesupernova

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The OP has some very vague questions. Is it possible for a centrifugal pump to move air? Kinda depends on where you draw the line between air pump and fan I suppose. There are some fairly large fans that can move a fair amount of air that closely resemble centrifugal liquid pumps.

8. Sep 1, 2015 #7

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Many large air compressors are centrifugal, so depending on language barrier issues, we may be talking about a water pump or an air pump/compressor.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook