1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using computer to solve integral

1. Dec 7, 2005 #1
    I have attachted a word document with the integral on. Does anyone have a suitable suggestion on how to solve this?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2005 #2
    Two things.
    1) Put this in the homework section, PLEASE!
    2) For some reason your doc won't open with AbiWord. Care to paste it here?

4. Dec 8, 2005 #3
    Why not just use [tex]\LaTeX[/tex] ?
    ~:smile:

5. Dec 9, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your integral is ugly enough not to be solved analytically. Since you're asked for an expression depending on "l" (and not for the antiderivative of the integrand), you could use a computer to see what it gives you.

Daniel.

6. Dec 9, 2005 #5
    Integral progress

I have actually progressed with it now. The whole point was not to use a computer to solve it but to do it by hand.

I am now stuck on this bit any ideas? oh the integral is with respect to dz

Attached Files:

7. Dec 9, 2005 #6

benorin

Homework Helper

8. Dec 11, 2005 #7

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Lisa,

It might expedite matters if you typed out your problems using LaTeX. Click on the image below to see the code that was used to generate it (won't work if you have a pop-up blocker on).

[tex]\int\frac{\cos(2z)}{1+2z}dz[/tex]

Now I have two questions for you:

1.) Is that integral supposed to be definite, or indefinite?

2.) If it is definite, then are you familiar with the theory of residues? If it is indefinite, then I think you are doomed to either look it up in a table or use mathematical software.

9. Dec 12, 2005 #8
    Integral

its a definite integral with limits from 0 to L/2 where L is greater than 0.

How would you suggest I proceed with solving it using residues

Lisa

10. Dec 13, 2005 #9

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Arrrgh...I was hoping that it went from [itex]-\infty[/itex] to [itex]\infty[/itex] because then a contour integral would be pretty straightforward, as your integrand only has one simple pole at [itex]z=-\frac{1}{2}[/itex].

I'll have to hit the books and review how to handle this. In the mean time, follow the lead given by benorin.

11. Dec 24, 2005 #10
    Integral

Tom, did you get to talk to your math tutors?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?