Using Curl operator to find E.field

In summary, the Curl Operator is a mathematical tool used to find the rotational behavior of a vector field, and it is used to determine the circulation of the Electric Field around a closed loop in space. Its formula in Cartesian coordinates is ∇ x E = (∂Ez/∂y - ∂Ey/∂z)i + (∂Ex/∂z - ∂Ez/∂x)j + (∂Ey/∂x - ∂Ex/∂y)k. A positive or negative value of Curl Operator indicates the direction of circulation of the Electric Field around the loop. However, the Curl Operator alone cannot be used to find the Electric Field at a specific point, and other methods
chebyshevF

Homework Statement

mhtt3t.jpg

Their solution:
2d9whzk.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt:
2gtc93l.jpg

My query is: where have I gone wrong? Or are the solutions incorrect?

Edit: Actually I just figured it out, I am right, just that I never divided by [tex]\omega[/tex]*[tex]\epsilon[/tex], and I do get the same answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
I apologize for the confusion, I should have included that step in my solution. Thank you for pointing it out! It's always a good idea to double check your work and make sure all necessary steps are included. Keep up the good work!

What is the Curl Operator and how is it used to find the Electric Field?

The Curl Operator, also known as the vector differential operator, is a mathematical tool used to find the rotational behavior of a vector field. In the context of finding the Electric Field, the Curl Operator is used to determine the circulation of the Electric Field around a closed loop in space.

What is the formula for the Curl Operator in Cartesian coordinates?

The formula for the Curl Operator in Cartesian coordinates is:
∇ x E = (∂Ez/∂y - ∂Ey/∂z)i + (∂Ex/∂z - ∂Ez/∂x)j + (∂Ey/∂x - ∂Ex/∂y)k
where ∇ is the Del operator and i, j, k are unit vectors in the x, y, z direction respectively.

What does a positive or negative value of Curl Operator indicate in terms of the Electric Field?

A positive value of Curl Operator indicates that the Electric Field is circulating in a counterclockwise direction around the closed loop, while a negative value indicates a clockwise circulation. This information can be used to determine the direction of the Electric Field at any point within the loop.

Can the Curl Operator be used to find the Electric Field at a specific point?

No, the Curl Operator alone cannot be used to find the Electric Field at a specific point. It only provides information about the rotational behavior of the Electric Field around a closed loop. To find the Electric Field at a specific point, other methods such as Coulomb's Law or Gauss's Law must be used.

How is the Curl Operator used in Maxwell's Equations to describe the behavior of the Electric Field?

The Curl Operator is used in two of Maxwell's Equations:
1. The Faraday's Law: ∇ x E = -∂B/∂t
2. Ampere's Law: ∇ x B = μ0(J + ε0∂E/∂t)
These equations describe the relationship between the Electric Field, Magnetic Field, and their sources (charges and currents) in a given region of space and time.