Using energy concepts and possibly work bunjee jump problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the physics and safety considerations for a bungee jumping excursion. The person attempting the solution mentions needing to know the height of the bridge, weight of their friend, and the elasticity of the rope. They also mention incorporating potential energy involving a spring and gravity, and the relevance of the gravitational acceleration and length of the rope. The other person confirms that these parameters are important to consider, but potential energy is not required.
SChiO

Homework Statement

Suppose you have a friend who wants to go bungee jumping for her birthday. She wants to jump off a high bridge over a river and be able to touch the water below right when she gets to the bottom of the bungee cord extension. You want to double-check all the physics of the bungee jump to make sure it is safe for her to go jumping.

Homework Equations

Identify a few things that you would like to know about the bungee jump. Then, making reasonable assumptions for some of the properties of this system, determine what needs to be true so that she has her birthday wish.

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured what I need to know is the height of the bridge, weight of my friend and the elasticity of the rope which I believe we can assume is similar to a spring. but I know my professor wants us to incorporate potential energy involving a spring and gravity but I'm not sure how to do so...:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to know the gravitational acceleration of Earth - the same setup will look differently if you perform the jump on the moon. The length of the rope (=the distance below the bridge where it starts to extend) will be relevant, too.

There are many ways to fix all parameters. Potential energy as parameter is an option, but not required.

Thanks that makes sense. Hopefully i get it right!

Related to Using energy concepts and possibly work bunjee jump problem

1. What is energy and why is it important?

Energy is the ability to do work, and it is essential for all living organisms and processes in our daily lives. Without energy, we would not be able to move, think, or grow. It is also crucial for powering machines, vehicles, and industries that contribute to our modern society.

2. How is energy measured and what are the different units of energy?

Energy is measured in joules (J), which is the standard unit in the International System of Units (SI). Other commonly used units of energy include calories (cal), British thermal units (BTU), and kilowatt-hours (kWh). These units can be converted into joules using conversion factors.

3. What is the difference between potential and kinetic energy?

Potential energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position or state, such as gravitational potential energy or chemical potential energy. Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is determined by an object's mass and velocity and increases as the object's speed increases.

4. How does conservation of energy apply to everyday life?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another. This principle applies to everyday life, as energy is constantly being converted from one form to another. For example, the chemical energy in food is converted to kinetic energy when we move, and then to heat energy to maintain our body temperature.

5. Can you explain the concept of work and how it relates to energy?

Work is the transfer of energy from one object to another by applying a force over a distance. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance over which it is applied. Work and energy are closely related, as work is required to change an object's energy state. For example, when a bungee jumper jumps off a platform, the work done by gravity on the jumper is converted into kinetic energy as they fall.