Using the double integral to find the volume bounded betwee two solids

In summary, to find the volume of the solid T enclosed by the sphere and paraboloid, you will need to use a double integral. The integrand will be the difference in z-values between the two surfaces. The limits of integration will depend on whether you use rectangular or polar coordinates, and you will need to find the points of intersection between the two surfaces to determine the limits. In polar coordinates, the limits for theta will be 0 to 2pi, and the limits for r will be 0 to the value at the circle where the two surfaces intersect.
atarr3

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the solid T enclosed above by the sphere x^2+ y^2 + z^2 = 2 and below by the parabloid x^2 + y^2 = z

Homework Equations

The double integral. Possiblly polar coordinates (x = r*cos(theta) y = r*sin(theta)). z = f(x,y)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not really sure how to start this one since we have two equations with z. I know we want to find a function to represent z. I was thinking of using the parabloid, so that z = x^2 + y^2 = f(x,y). But I'm not sure of how the sphere comes into play. I also know that the z value is between 0 and root 2 (according to the sphere. And that x and y are bounded by the parabloid. I've tried looking in my calculus for help, but they only use one function with one z in it, not two.

Also, I am supposed to be using a double integral to solve this. Thank you guys in advance for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your integrand in a double integral is going to be the height (a difference of z-values) between the paraboloid (at the bottom) and the upper hemisphere of the sphere (at the top. To get the z-value for the sphere, solve for z in the equation x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 2, and keep in mind that you want the upper half of the sphere.

This difference in z-values is going to vary, depending on where x and y are. Hopefully you have drawn a sketch of the two surfaces so you can get an idea of what the solid looks like whose volume you're calculating, as well as where the two surfaces intersect, which will affect your limits of integration.

I would probably do this as a polar integral because of the presence of the x^2 and y^2 terms in both surfaces; that is, because of the symmetry of both surfaces.

I have drawn the sketch already, and I can see I'm dealing with the upper half of the sphere only. Solving for the in the sphere gives z = sqrt(2 - x^2 - y^2), which will be my integrand. I also know that the sphere and the parabloid intersect at the points along the curve sqrt(2 -x^2 - y^2) - x^2 - y^2 = 0. I am still a little confused about how I find the limits of integration

I'm sorry, there's a typo in the one above. The integrand will be sqrt(2 -x^2 - y^2) - x^2 - y^2. I am still unsure of what the limits of integration will be

Whether you do the integration in rectangular coordinates or polar, you're going to have to find where the paraboloid intersects the hemisphere. (It does so in a circle.) Your integration will be much simpler if done using polar coordinates, as the integrand will be sqrt(2 - r^2) - r^2. For limits of integration, theta is easy-- 0 to 2pi. r is a little harder, as it ranges from 0 to whatever its value is at the circle where the two surfaces intersect.

Wouldn't the integrand be r*(sqrt(2-r^2) - r^2) when we go from rectangular to polar coordinates?

As to where the two objects intersect, I know it occurs when x^2 + y^2 = sqrt(2 - x^2 - y^2). I'm not really sure how to solve for that. I know it means that r is equal to the square root of the right side, so the highest value of r is the quartic root of (2 - x^2 - y^2). Putting this into polar coordinates, we get quartic root of (2-r^2).

I'm not sure if that's what I'm supposed to be doing to find the points of intersection.

If I transform to polar coordinates, I get r^2 = sqrt(2 - r^2). Solving for this, I get r = 1, which would make the limits of integration for r is 0 to 1.

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a mathematical concept used to find the volume of a three-dimensional shape. It involves integrating a function over a region in a two-dimensional coordinate system.

2. How is a double integral used to find the volume bounded by two solids?

To find the volume bounded by two solids, the double integral is used to find the volume between the two surfaces. This involves setting up the limits of integration for both the x and y coordinates and integrating the function over the region between the two surfaces.

3. What are the steps involved in using a double integral to find volume?

The steps involved in using a double integral to find volume are:
1. Identify the region bounded by the two solids
2. Set up the limits of integration for both the x and y coordinates
3. Write the function to be integrated
4. Integrate the function over the region between the two solids
5. Evaluate the integral to find the volume

4. Can a double integral be used to find the volume of any shape?

Yes, a double integral can be used to find the volume of any shape as long as the limits of integration can be determined for both the x and y coordinates.

5. What are some real-life applications of using a double integral to find volume?

Double integrals are commonly used in engineering, physics, and other scientific fields to find the volume of complex shapes. They can also be used in calculating fluid flow rates, determining areas and volumes in geographic mapping, and in calculating probabilities in statistics.