• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Using voltmeters to measure voltage

Homework Statement

A student needs to connect a voltmeter to measure the potential difference across the parallel
resistors in the circuit shown below
(http://www.bced.gov.bc.ca/exams/search/grade12/english/release/exam/0708PH_p.pdf [Broken])
Question 28

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought it would be X and Y, in fact I also think it would be none of them because they don't seem to be in parellel. Can someone please explain why it is X and W?

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

berkeman
Mentor

Homework Statement

A student needs to connect a voltmeter to measure the potential difference across the parallel
resistors in the circuit shown below
(http://www.bced.gov.bc.ca/exams/search/grade12/english/release/exam/0708PH_p.pdf [Broken])
Question 28

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought it would be X and Y, in fact I also think it would be none of them because they don't seem to be in parellel. Can someone please explain why it is X and W?
Welcome to the PF.

X and Y are at the same potential (voltage) -- there is just a shorting wire between them, so you would read 0V.

If you measure between X and W, you are measuring the voltage difference between the right and left side of the parallel combination of two resistors. Think of all the lines shown as shorting (zero resistance) wires, with no voltage drop along them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the PF.

X and Y are at the same potential (voltage) -- there is just a shorting wire between them, so you would read 0V.

If you measure between X and W, you are measuring the voltage difference between the right and left side of the parallel combination of two resistors. Think of all the lines shown as shorting (zero resistance) wires, with no voltage drop along them.
OHHHH ok thanks haha. What about Y and W, even though it is not an option would that work as well?

berkeman
Mentor
OHHHH ok thanks haha. What about Y and W, even though it is not an option would that work as well?
Yep, Y and W would work as well. Good job!