Using voltmeters to measure voltage

In summary, the student needs to connect a voltmeter to measure the potential difference between X and W in order to measure the potential difference across the parallel resistors in the given circuit. X and Y are at the same potential due to a shorting wire between them, so measuring between them would result in a reading of 0V. The combination of all lines shown can be considered as shorting wires with no voltage drop along them. Additionally, measuring between Y and W would also work as they are at different potentials.
JustinLiang

Homework Statement

A student needs to connect a voltmeter to measure the potential difference across the parallel
resistors in the circuit shown below
(http://www.bced.gov.bc.ca/exams/search/grade12/english/release/exam/0708PH_p.pdf )
Question 28

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought it would be X and Y, in fact I also think it would be none of them because they don't seem to be in parellel. Can someone please explain why it is X and W?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
JustinLiang said:

Homework Statement

A student needs to connect a voltmeter to measure the potential difference across the parallel
resistors in the circuit shown below
(http://www.bced.gov.bc.ca/exams/search/grade12/english/release/exam/0708PH_p.pdf )
Question 28

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought it would be X and Y, in fact I also think it would be none of them because they don't seem to be in parellel. Can someone please explain why it is X and W?

Welcome to the PF.

X and Y are at the same potential (voltage) -- there is just a shorting wire between them, so you would read 0V.

If you measure between X and W, you are measuring the voltage difference between the right and left side of the parallel combination of two resistors. Think of all the lines shown as shorting (zero resistance) wires, with no voltage drop along them.

Last edited by a moderator:
berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

X and Y are at the same potential (voltage) -- there is just a shorting wire between them, so you would read 0V.

If you measure between X and W, you are measuring the voltage difference between the right and left side of the parallel combination of two resistors. Think of all the lines shown as shorting (zero resistance) wires, with no voltage drop along them.

OHHHH ok thanks haha. What about Y and W, even though it is not an option would that work as well?

JustinLiang said:
OHHHH ok thanks haha. What about Y and W, even though it is not an option would that work as well?

Yep, Y and W would work as well. Good job!

I can provide an explanation for why it is necessary to use the voltmeter to measure the potential difference across the parallel resistors in the given circuit.

Firstly, it is important to understand that voltage is a measure of the potential difference between two points in a circuit. In this case, the student needs to measure the potential difference across the parallel resistors, which will provide information about the amount of electrical energy being transferred through the circuit.

Using a voltmeter is the most accurate and precise way to measure voltage in a circuit. Voltmeters are specifically designed to measure the potential difference between two points and are calibrated to provide accurate readings. Other instruments, such as ammeters, are designed to measure current and would not be suitable for measuring voltage.

Furthermore, in a parallel circuit, the current splits into different branches, with each branch having its own resistance. This means that the potential difference across each resistor may be different, and therefore, cannot be measured by simply adding the voltages measured across each individual resistor. Using a voltmeter allows the student to directly measure the potential difference across the parallel resistors, taking into account the different branches and their respective resistances.

In conclusion, using a voltmeter is necessary to accurately measure the potential difference across the parallel resistors in the given circuit. It is the most suitable instrument for this purpose and will provide the most accurate and precise measurement.

1. How do voltmeters measure voltage?

Voltmeters measure voltage by using a sensitive galvanometer that measures the amount of electric current flowing through a circuit. This current is then converted into a voltage reading using Ohm's Law.

2. What is the difference between analog and digital voltmeters?

Analog voltmeters use a moving needle to indicate the voltage, while digital voltmeters use a digital display to show the voltage reading. Analog voltmeters are more prone to errors and have a limited range, while digital voltmeters have a higher accuracy and can measure a wider range of voltages.

3. How do I know which type of voltmeter to use for my measurements?

The type of voltmeter to use depends on the type of circuit and the range of voltages being measured. For low voltage circuits, analog voltmeters are suitable, while for high voltage circuits, digital voltmeters are preferred for their accuracy and safety.

4. Can I use a voltmeter to measure AC and DC voltage?

Yes, there are voltmeters that are specifically designed to measure both AC and DC voltage. These are called AC/DC voltmeters and are commonly used in household circuits and electronic devices.

5. How do I ensure accurate voltage measurements with a voltmeter?

To ensure accurate voltage measurements, it is important to select the appropriate range on the voltmeter, make sure the connections are secure, and avoid touching the metal probes with your hands. It is also recommended to calibrate the voltmeter regularly to maintain its accuracy.