Exploring the Properties of Vectors and Imaginary Numbers

In summary: I believe for part (a) you are trying to do |z| = |z_1||z_2| so you can verify that based on what you have you know that if z = x + iy then |z| = \sqrt{x^2 + y^2} (b) Use the fact that z = r e^{i \theta} I think.
bfusco

Homework Statement

Consider a vector z defined by the equation z=z1z2, where z1=a+ib, z2=c+id.
(a) show that the length of z is the product of the lengths of z1 and z2.
(b) show that the angle between z and the x-axis is the sum of the angles made by z1 and z2 separately.

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) i want to just do regular multiplication. (a+ib)(c+id)= ac-bd+i(ad+bc) however i don't see how that would show the length of z is the product of z1 and z2, all i did was multiply.

my next idea would be to take the magnitudes of z1 and z2 and multiply them. so, (√[a^2+(ib)^2]) * (√[c^2+(id)^2]) = (√[a^2-b^2])(√[c^2-d^2]).

(b)this would depend in part on which attempt of part (a) is correct. this is because depending on the correct way vector z is represented with its components the angle is going to be different.

Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe for part (a) you are trying to do

[itex] |z| = |z_1||z_2| [/itex] so you can verify that based on what you have you know that if [itex] z = x + iy [/itex] then [itex]|z| = \sqrt{x^2 + y^2} [/itex]

(b) Use the fact that [itex] z = r e^{i \theta} [/itex] I think.

bfusco said:

Homework Statement

Consider a vector z defined by the equation z=z1z2, where z1=a+ib, z2=c+id.
(a) show that the length of z is the product of the lengths of z1 and z2.
(b) show that the angle between z and the x-axis is the sum of the angles made by z1 and z2 separately.

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) i want to just do regular multiplication. (a+ib)(c+id)= ac-bd+i(ad+bc) however i don't see how that would show the length of z is the product of z1 and z2, all i did was multiply.
Let ##r_i = |z_i|## and ##\theta_i## = angle between ##z_i## and the x-axis. Using basic trig, you should be able to see that you can write
\begin{align*}
a &= r_1\cos\theta_1 \\
b &= r_1\sin\theta_1 \\
c &= r_2\cos\theta_2 \\
d &= r_2\sin\theta_2
\end{align*} Try plugging that into your expression for the product.

my next idea would be to take the magnitudes of z1 and z2 and multiply them. so, (√[a^2+(ib)^2]) * (√[c^2+(id)^2]) = (√[a^2-b^2])(√[c^2-d^2]).
You don't want to include the factor of ##i## when squaring. The magnitude of a complex number ##z## is given by ##|z| = \sqrt{z z^*}## where ##z^*## is the conjugate. If you work that out, you'll see the ##i## drops out.

(b)this would depend in part on which attempt of part (a) is correct. this is because depending on the correct way vector z is represented with its components the angle is going to be different.

Thank you in advance.

1. What are vectors and imaginary numbers?

Vectors are mathematical objects that have both magnitude (size) and direction. They are represented by an arrow pointing in the direction of the vector. Imaginary numbers, on the other hand, are numbers that are expressed as the product of a real number and the imaginary unit, i, which is defined as the square root of -1.

2. How are vectors and imaginary numbers used in science?

Vectors are used to represent physical quantities with both magnitude and direction, such as velocity, acceleration, and force. They are also used in mathematical calculations, such as in vector calculus. Imaginary numbers are used in many areas of science, including electrical engineering, quantum mechanics, and signal processing, to represent quantities that cannot be expressed with real numbers.

3. What is the difference between a scalar and a vector?

A scalar is a physical quantity that has only magnitude, such as temperature or mass. A vector, as mentioned earlier, has both magnitude and direction. In mathematics, scalars are represented by single numbers, while vectors are represented by arrays of numbers or symbols.

4. Can vectors and imaginary numbers be added or multiplied together?

Yes, vectors and imaginary numbers can be added and multiplied together. In fact, vector addition and multiplication follow specific rules and properties, such as the commutative and associative properties, just like real numbers do. Additionally, vector multiplication can produce a scalar or another vector, depending on the type of multiplication performed. Imaginary numbers can also be added and multiplied using their own set of rules and properties.

5. How are vectors and imaginary numbers graphically represented?

Vectors are typically graphically represented by arrows on a coordinate plane, with the tail of the arrow at the origin and the head pointing in the direction of the vector. The length of the arrow represents the magnitude of the vector, while its direction represents the direction. Imaginary numbers can also be graphically represented on a coordinate plane, with the real part of the number on the horizontal axis and the imaginary part on the vertical axis. The number is then plotted as a point on the plane.