Solving Vectors Question: Wind Direction & Velocity

• Thread starter AquaAqua
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving relative velocities and the direction and speed of wind. The person seeking help is struggling with solving the problem and is asking for clarification. The solution involves using two 2D diagrams to represent the different velocities and their directions.
AquaAqua
Hey, I am new to the forum, but I've seen peoples help here and some of it is really good, but i have a question that i just don't get...

"A person traveling eastward at the rate if 4.0kmhr-1 observes that the wind seems to blow directly from the north after doubling his speed the wind appears to come from the north east, determine the direction of the wind and its velocity."

I tried drawing it on a graph but i got lost , i don't know what to do, and I am sure its really easy to...
any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

HeyHey AquaAqua! Welcome to PF! :smile:
AquaAqua said:
"A person traveling eastward at the rate if 4.0kmhr-1 observes that the wind seems to blow directly from the north after doubling his speed the wind appears to come from the north east, determine the direction of the wind and its velocity."

As you've probably guessed, you need two vector triangles to solve this …

one has sides of lengths w (for the wind) and 4.0, and you know the directions of two of the sides …

the other has sides of lengths w (for the wind) and 8.0, and again you know the directions of two of the sides …

and you can simplify matters by putting the two triangles together, since the "wind" side is the same direction and length for each. :wink:

tiny-tim said:
HeyHey AquaAqua! Welcome to PF! :smile:

As you've probably guessed, you need two vector triangles to solve this …

one has sides of lengths w (for the wind) and 4.0, and you know the directions of two of the sides …

the other has sides of lengths w (for the wind) and 8.0, and again you know the directions of two of the sides …

and you can simplify matters by putting the two triangles together, since the "wind" side is the same direction and length for each. :wink:

Hey tiny tim, thanks for your help, but I am a bit physics retarded and I'm still not completley getting it...

attached an image of what i think i need to do?
can you maybe clarify?
BIG THANKYOU

Attachments

• physics.png
    physics.png
    3.6 KB · Views: 399
Hey AquaAqua! :smile:

First, where did 12 come from? The two speeds east are 4 and 8. :wink:

Second, if w is meant to be the unknown speed Vwg of the wind relative to the ground (the same in both cases), then it isn't vertical (North).

Try again! :smile:

Hey Tiny-Tim

,because it implies his journey at now8kmhr-1 from the point he was at (whiich was 4km from the origin...

So is it a 3d diagram?
hint, pretty please :D

Hey AquaAqua! :smile:
AquaAqua said:
because it implies his journey at now8kmhr-1 from the point he was at (whiich was 4km from the origin...

ah, no, the distances don't matter at all in a question like this.

This question is about relative velocities, and all you need is the velocities (ie, their magnitudes and directions) themselves.

The question says "after doubling his speed", which as you say is 8 kmhr-1.
So is it a 3d diagram?

No, it's two 2D diagrams stuck together … still 2D! :wink:

Your original diagram was the right idea, you've just labelled it wrong.

Redraw it, with w (the velocity of the wind relative to the ground) not from the north or north-east. :smile:

1. What are vectors and how are they used in wind direction and velocity calculations?

Vectors are mathematical quantities that have both magnitude (size) and direction. In wind direction and velocity calculations, vectors are used to represent the speed and direction of wind. They are important because they help us understand the movement and behavior of wind.

2. How do you calculate the resultant vector for wind direction and velocity?

The resultant vector for wind direction and velocity can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem and trigonometric functions. The magnitude of the resultant vector is the square root of the sum of the squares of the individual wind speeds, and the direction can be found using inverse trigonometric functions.

3. What is the difference between wind speed and wind velocity?

Wind speed refers to the rate at which the wind is moving, while wind velocity refers to both the speed and direction of the wind. Wind speed is a scalar quantity, while wind velocity is a vector quantity.

4. How do you represent wind direction and velocity on a graph?

Wind direction and velocity can be represented on a graph using a vector diagram. The length of the arrow represents the magnitude (speed) of the wind, and the direction of the arrow represents the direction of the wind. The angle of the arrow with respect to a reference line also indicates the direction of the wind.

5. How does wind direction and velocity affect weather patterns and forecasts?

Wind direction and velocity play a crucial role in weather patterns and forecasts. They can impact temperature, humidity, and precipitation in a given area. Wind direction can also influence the movement of weather systems, such as storms and hurricanes. Accurate measurements and understanding of wind direction and velocity are essential for predicting and understanding weather patterns.