1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Velocities when generating an Archimedean spiral trajectory

1. Aug 6, 2017 #1
    hey, I just want to know, if I am to send a velocity commands to generate a spiral trajectory, What would be these velocities (angular and linear)??
    Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2017 #2

Charles Link

Homework Helper

4. Aug 6, 2017 #3
  5. Aug 6, 2017 #4
    Since the usual definition of the Archimedes Spiral takes the angle as the input, it means you choose the angular velocity ω. Regarding linear velocity, I don't have an exact formula at hand, but since it gets closer to a circle with increasing angle, the linear velocity will asymptomatically approach ωr.

6. Aug 6, 2017 #5

Charles Link

Homework Helper

For the OP @Benyoucef Rayane A google shows the Archimedes spiral has ## r=\theta^a ## with ## a=1 ##. This means ## r=\theta ## for this spiral. We can write the velocity ## \vec{v}=(\frac{dr}{dt}) \hat{a}_r+(r \dot{\theta}) \hat{a}_{\theta} ##. We have for ## r=\theta ##, that ## \frac{dr}{dt}=\dot{\theta}=\omega ##. This gives ## \vec{v}=\omega \hat{a}_r+(r \omega) \hat{a}_{\theta} ##. As ## r ## gets large, ## \vec{v} \approx (r \omega ) \hat{a}_{\theta} ## as @rumborak pointed out.

7. Aug 12, 2017 #6

Thanks guys, I got it now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted