1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocity vector diagram help

1. Oct 19, 2003 #1
    Here we are looking down on a racetrack with straight sections and semicircular ends. A car is going around the track and maintaining constant speed.

For each one of the numbered positions: Draw diagrams showing the velocity vector for the car.

I will post my diagrams on a separate reply. I just need to know if I am getting this concept down (this is yet another example concept from the book I am not getting). My question is do I have a total of three diagrams. One would be for #1 as Vi and #2 as Vf. Then the second diagram starts with #2 as Vi and #3 as Vf. The third diagram as #3 as Vi and #4 as Vf. I should have a reply with my diagrams on it

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2003 #2
    Here are the Diagrams: If I made a mistake please inform me on what I did wrong

Attached Files:

4. Oct 19, 2003 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It's not clear to me WHAT you are trying to do.

There are 4 posions given and you say:
    That should imply 4 diagrams, each showing the velocity vector at that point.

In your second post, you show three diagrams, showing the Δv- the change in velocity vectors. You didn't say anything about having to show that.

5. Oct 19, 2003 #4
    So wouldn't a a velocity vectory diagram have delta V, Vi, and Vf.

6. Oct 19, 2003 #5
    Actually is the vector diagrams just the tangent line to the point 1, 2,3,4 on the racetrack?

7. Oct 20, 2003 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Perhaps you should check your textbook or with your teacher to determine exactly what is meant by a "vector diagram". "vector" is a pretty standard term but "vector diagram" is not.

Off the top of my head, I would think a "vector diagram" in this case is a picture showing the velocity vector at each given point on the track.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?