Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Velocity vector diagram help

1. Oct 19, 2003 #1
    Here we are looking down on a racetrack with straight sections and semicircular ends. A car is going around the track and maintaining constant speed.

For each one of the numbered positions: Draw diagrams showing the velocity vector for the car.

I will post my diagrams on a separate reply. I just need to know if I am getting this concept down (this is yet another example concept from the book I am not getting). My question is do I have a total of three diagrams. One would be for #1 as Vi and #2 as Vf. Then the second diagram starts with #2 as Vi and #3 as Vf. The third diagram as #3 as Vi and #4 as Vf. I should have a reply with my diagrams on it

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2003 #2
    Here are the Diagrams: If I made a mistake please inform me on what I did wrong

Attached Files:

4. Oct 19, 2003 #3

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

It's not clear to me WHAT you are trying to do.

There are 4 posions given and you say:
    That should imply 4 diagrams, each showing the velocity vector at that point.

In your second post, you show three diagrams, showing the Δv- the change in velocity vectors. You didn't say anything about having to show that.

5. Oct 19, 2003 #4
    So wouldn't a a velocity vectory diagram have delta V, Vi, and Vf.

6. Oct 19, 2003 #5
    Actually is the vector diagrams just the tangent line to the point 1, 2,3,4 on the racetrack?

7. Oct 20, 2003 #6

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Perhaps you should check your textbook or with your teacher to determine exactly what is meant by a "vector diagram". "vector" is a pretty standard term but "vector diagram" is not.

Off the top of my head, I would think a "vector diagram" in this case is a picture showing the velocity vector at each given point on the track.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook