• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Velocity vector diagram help

Here we are looking down on a racetrack with straight sections and semicircular ends. A car is going around the track and maintaining constant speed.

For each one of the numbered positions: Draw diagrams showing the velocity vector for the car.

I will post my diagrams on a separate reply. I just need to know if I am getting this concept down (this is yet another example concept from the book I am not getting). My question is do I have a total of three diagrams. One would be for #1 as Vi and #2 as Vf. Then the second diagram starts with #2 as Vi and #3 as Vf. The third diagram as #3 as Vi and #4 as Vf. I should have a reply with my diagrams on it

Attachments

Here are the Diagrams: If I made a mistake please inform me on what I did wrong

Attachments

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
It's not clear to me WHAT you are trying to do.

There are 4 posions given and you say:
For each one of the numbered positions: Draw diagrams showing the velocity vector for the car.
That should imply 4 diagrams, each showing the velocity vector at that point.

In your second post, you show three diagrams, showing the Δv- the change in velocity vectors. You didn't say anything about having to show that.

So wouldn't a a velocity vectory diagram have delta V, Vi, and Vf.

Actually is the vector diagrams just the tangent line to the point 1, 2,3,4 on the racetrack?

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Perhaps you should check your textbook or with your teacher to determine exactly what is meant by a "vector diagram". "vector" is a pretty standard term but "vector diagram" is not.

Off the top of my head, I would think a "vector diagram" in this case is a picture showing the velocity vector at each given point on the track.