1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vertical Load on a Purlin - find x and y force components

1. Oct 14, 2014 #1
    A roof purlin, supported by a roof rafter must support a 300 lb vertical snow load.
    Determine the component of of the snow load as a concentrated load “P” both perpendicular and parallel to the axis of the rafter.

3VDlT0E.png

I read that the perpendicular component of the 300lb force can be figured out by 300lb*cos(inverseTan(4/12)) and the parallel component can be figured out by 300lb*sin(18.43*)

I do not understand why this is so. My attempt at the solution is to draw an FBD, but I suppose I am drawing the wrong one.

1Msd7qJ.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2014 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A free body diagram is nice, but what you really want to do is draw a triangle where the hypotenuse has a slope of 4:12 and then work out the angles normal and tangential to this slope. It's more a matter of geometry (and trigonometry) than anything else.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted