What is the maximum distance a block will fall on a vertically hanging spring?

In summary, a 2.2 kg block is attached to a vertical spring with a spring constant of 450 N/m. When the block falls, it reaches a maximum displacement where only elastic potential energy is present. At the equilibrium position, only gravitational potential energy is present. By equating these two energies, the formula h = mg/k can be derived. However, this formula does not give the correct answer and further calculations are needed to find the maximum distance the block will fall before it begins moving upward. Through using the concept of height and displacement, the correct answer of 0.095m can be obtained.
shawli

Homework Statement

A spring with a spring constant of 450 N/m hangs vertically. You attach a 2.2 kg block to it and allow the mass to fall. What is the maximum distance the block will fall before it begins moving upward?

Homework Equations

I'm not exactly sure how the conservation of energy equation would look for this. So, when the mass pulls the spring down to its maximum displacement, there is only elastic potential energy in the isolated spring system. Now I'm not sure what other point to use this information in reference to.

If it's the equilibrium position that I'm also supposed to look at, then I'm not sure what forms of energy are present at that point.

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Wait nevermind ... I googled it. The equilibrium position no longer equals x = 0 for a vertical spring, and the formula becomes h = mg/k.
Whoops lol.

shawli said:
Wait nevermind ... I googled it. The equilibrium position no longer equals x = 0 for a vertical spring, and the formula becomes h = mg/k.
Whoops lol.

Does the problem make sense though?

Erm, from what I understand... A mass of 2.2kg is attached to a spring while it is at the equilibrium position. Gravity makes the spring stretch downwards until it reaches a maximum point where there is only elastic potential energy, and then it starts to move back up again.

I'm still a bit confused about what energy is acting where in terms of the "isolated system".

And this formula, h = mg/k, actually isn't giving me the correct answer. ...So I guess it doesn't make sense lol. :/

Okay I think I got it!

At the equilibrium position, only gravitational potential energy is present since the mass-spring system has not moved yet at that instant and since the spring is vertical.

The mass pulls the spring down to its maximum displacement, and at that point only elastic potential energy is present.

So:

Eg = Ee
m * g * h = 0.5 * k * x^2

At the equilibrium position, the height of the mass should be equal to the maximum displacement after the mass falls. So, x = h:

m * g * x = 0.5 * k * x^2
0 = 0.5*450*x^2 - 2.2*9.8*x
x= 0 and 0.095m

Woot right answer :). Is my reasoning all correct?

Maybe this will help with the concepts.

spring.JPG

Woot? Am I helping an Aggie?

\m/ that's a hookem horns sign... :)

Your reasoning using energy looks correct without doing the math myself.

1. What is a vertical spring problem?

A vertical spring problem is a physics problem that involves a spring attached to a fixed point and a mass attached to the other end of the spring. The mass is then released and allowed to move up and down due to the force of the spring.

2. How do you calculate the spring constant in a vertical spring problem?

The spring constant, or stiffness, can be calculated by dividing the force applied to the spring by the resulting displacement. This can be represented by the equation F = -kx, where F is the force, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement.

3. What is the equilibrium position in a vertical spring problem?

The equilibrium position is the point where the spring is at its natural length and there is no net force acting on the mass. This is also known as the resting position or the point of zero potential energy.

4. How does the mass affect the frequency of oscillation in a vertical spring problem?

The frequency of oscillation, or the rate at which the mass moves up and down, is inversely proportional to the square root of the mass. This means that as the mass increases, the frequency decreases and vice versa.

5. What is the relationship between the amplitude and energy in a vertical spring problem?

The amplitude, or the maximum displacement of the mass from the equilibrium position, is directly proportional to the energy of the system. This means that as the amplitude increases, so does the energy, and vice versa.