Finding the Period of a Vertical Spring Problem

In summary, by doing a summation of forces, it can be determined that the force constant multiplied by the displacement is equal to the weight of the object. From this, the angular frequency can be found to be equal to the square root of (g/y). By using the relationship between frequency and period, the period of the oscillation can be calculated to be 0.371 seconds. However, this is not the correct answer and the correct answer of 0.262 seconds is obtained by considering the equilibrium position of the object and its oscillation from +y to -y.
Torquenstein101
An object of unknown mass is hung on the end of an unstretched spring and is released from rest. If the object falls 3.42 cm before first coming to rest, find the period of the motion.

Doing a summation of forces, i see that the force constant k times the displacement y is equal to the weight of the object. From this I see that (k/m)=(g/y). That means the angular frequency (omega) is equal to the square root of (g/y). Knowing that the period of the oscillation T is the inverse of the frequency, i get T=(2pie)/omega which is then (2pie) divided the square root of (g/y). Solving for T, i get 0.371 seconds. However, this doesn't seem to be the right answer. The correct answer is 0.262 seconds, but I just don't see how that answer was obtained. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Torquenstein101 said:
Doing a summation of forces, i see that the force constant k times the displacement y is equal to the weight of the object.
That's true if y is the displacement from equilibrium. But the object falls twice that distance before it reverses direction.

Torquenstein101 said:
An object of unknown mass is hung on the end of an unstretched spring and is released from rest. If the object falls 3.42 cm before first coming to rest, find the period of the motion.
I don't understand the meaning of "before first coming to rest"? Does it mean "before passing the point from where the object was released"?

That's true if y is the displacement from equilibrium. But the object falls twice that distance before it reverses direction.
Are we talking about the equilibrium position of the spring alone or of the spring/object system? Why would the object fall 2y?

e(ho0n3 said:
I don't understand the meaning of "before first coming to rest"? Does it mean "before passing the point from where the object was released"?
No. The object starts from rest at maximum amplitude from its equilibrium point, then falls past that equilibrium point to the point of maximum amplitude at the bottom of its motion.

Are we talking about the equilibrium position of the spring alone or of the spring/object system?
It's the equilbrium position of the object: where the net force on it is zero.
Why would the object fall 2y?
Because it oscillates from +y to -y about the equilibrium point.

Doc Al said:
No. The object starts from rest at maximum amplitude from its equilibrium point, then falls past that equilibrium point to the point of maximum amplitude at the bottom of its motion.

I see. So we're talking about the equilibrium pos. of the object. This makes more sense now. I can see why it would be 2y then.

1. What is the Vertical Spring problem?

The Vertical Spring problem is a commonly used physics problem that involves a mass attached to a spring hanging vertically from a fixed point. The goal of the problem is to determine the position, velocity, and acceleration of the mass at different points in time, taking into account the force of gravity and the spring's elastic properties.

2. How do I approach solving a Vertical Spring problem?

To solve a Vertical Spring problem, you will need to use Newton's second law of motion, which states that the sum of all the forces acting on an object is equal to the mass of the object times its acceleration. You will also need to use Hooke's law, which describes the relationship between the force applied to a spring and the resulting displacement of the spring.

3. What is the formula for calculating the position of the mass in a Vertical Spring problem?

The formula for calculating the position of the mass in a Vertical Spring problem is x = A * cos(ωt + φ), where x is the position, A is the amplitude of the oscillation, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase angle.

4. How does the mass's position change over time in a Vertical Spring problem?

In a Vertical Spring problem, the mass's position changes over time in a sinusoidal pattern. This means that the mass will oscillate up and down around its equilibrium position, with the amplitude and frequency of the oscillation determined by the mass and the spring's properties.

5. What factors affect the motion of the mass in a Vertical Spring problem?

The motion of the mass in a Vertical Spring problem is affected by several factors, including the mass of the object, the spring constant, the amplitude and frequency of the oscillation, and the initial conditions of the system. Other factors such as air resistance and friction may also have an impact on the motion of the mass.