Very long Taylor expansion/partial fraction decomposition

In summary, the approach of using partial fractions and expanding using the Maclaurin series for ##(1-x)^{-1}## does not work for this problem. Instead, the function should be rewritten as a product of irreducible polynomials and then expanded using the Maclaurin series for ##(1-x)^{-1}##.
jamesb1

Homework Statement

I want to express the following expression in its Taylor expansion about x = 0:

$$
F(x) = \frac{x^{15}}{(1-x)(1-x^2)(1-x^3)(1-x^4)(1-x^5)}
$$

The Attempt at a Solution

First I tried to rewrite the function in partial fractions (its been quite a while since I've last covered these).

So far I have:
\begin{align*}
F(x) = &\frac{A}{1-x} &&+ \\
&\frac{Bx + C}{1-x^2} &&+ \\
&\frac{Dx^2 + Ex + F}{1-x^3} &&+ \\
&\frac{Gx^3 + Hx^2 + Ix + J}{1-x^4} &&+ \\
&\frac{Kx^4 + Lx^3 + Mx^2 + Nx + O}{1-x^5}
\end{align*}

Then:

\begin{align*}
x^{15} = &A(1-x^2)(1-x^3)(1-x^4)(1-x^5) &&+ \\
&(Bx + C)(1-x)(1-x^3)(1-x^4)(1-x^5) &&+ \\
&(Dx^2 + Ex + F)(1-x)(1-x^2)(1-x^4)(1-x^5) &&+ \\
&(Gx^3 + Hx^2 + Ix + J)(1-x)(1-x^2)(1-x^3)(1-x^5) &&+ \\
&(Kx^4 + Lx^3 + Mx^2 + Nx + O)(1-x)(1-x^2)(1-x^3)(1-x^4)
\end{align*}

As you can see, this does not seem to make sense. For example, in the equation above I'm getting $1=0$ when $x=1$.

What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
jamesb1 said:

Homework Statement

I want to express the following expression in its Taylor expansion about x = 0:

$$
F(x) = \frac{x^{15}}{(1-x)(1-x^2)(1-x^3)(1-x^4)(1-x^5)}
$$

The Attempt at a Solution

First I tried to rewrite the function in partial fractions (its been quite a while since I've last covered these).
If I were doing it I would proceed very differently. If
[tex] D(x) = (1-x)(1-x^2)(1-x^3)(1-x^4)(1-x^5) [/tex]
we can write
[tex] \frac{1}{D(x)} = \sum_a x^a \, \sum_b x^{2b} \, \sum_c x^{3c} \, \sum_d x^{4d} \, \sum_e x^{5e}, [/tex]
where ##a,b,c,d,e## run independently over ##0,1,2,3,\ldots##. We can re-write this as
[tex] \frac{1}{D(x)} = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} c_n x^n, [/tex]
and, of course,
[tex] \frac{x^{15}}{D(x)} = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} c_n x^{15+n} [/tex]
Here, ##c_n## is the cardinality of the set
[tex] \{ (a,b,c,d,e): a + 2b + 3 c + 4d + 5e = n \} [/tex]
(in other words, the number of ##(a,b,c,d,e)## bundles satisfying the sum condition).

Last edited:
Likes jamesb1
Consider ##\displaystyle \ \frac{x}{1-x}\cdot\frac{x^2}{1-x^2}\cdot\ \dots\ \cdot\frac{x^5}{1-x^5}\ .##

Ray Vickson said:
If I were doing it I would proceed very differently. If
[tex] D(x) = (1-x)(1-x^2)(1-x^3)(1-x^4)(1-x^5) [/tex]
we can write
[tex] \frac{1}{D(x)} = \sum_a x^a \, \sum_b x^{2b} \, \sum_c x^{3c} \, \sum_d x^{4d} \, \sum_e x^{5e}, [/tex]
where ##a,b,c,d,e## run independently over ##0,1,2,3,\ldots##. We can re-write this as
[tex] \frac{1}{D(x)} = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} c_n x^n, [/tex]
and, of course,
[tex] \frac{x^{15}}{D(x)} = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} c_n x^{15+n} [/tex]
Here, ##c_n## is the cardinality of the set
[tex] \{ (a,b,c,d,e): a + 2b + 3 c + 4d + 5e = n \} [/tex]
(in other words, the number of ##(a,b,c,d,e)## bundles satisfying the sum condition).
Thank you for your answer! I actually tried that approach before (of expanding using the Maclaurin series for ##(1-x)^{-1}##. I then couldn't continue after that as I never knew about this notion of the ##c_n## coefficient. Could you elaborate on how ##c_n## happens to be the cardinality of that set please?

SammyS said:
Consider ##\displaystyle \ \frac{x}{1-x}\cdot\frac{x^2}{1-x^2}\cdot\ \dots\ \cdot\frac{x^5}{1-x^5}\ .##
Along with this, use the Maclaurin series for ##\displaystyle \ \frac{x}{1-x} \ .##

jamesb1 said:
Thank you for your answer! I actually tried that approach before (of expanding using the Maclaurin series for ##(1-x)^{-1}##. I then couldn't continue after that as I never knew about this notion of the ##c_n## coefficient. Could you elaborate on how ##c_n## happens to be the cardinality of that set please?

It is just elementary algebra, but to help you get started I will go through one case of a smaller example. Consider the smaller example
[tex] S = \frac{1}{(1-x)(1-x^2)} = \underbrace{(1 +x + x^2 + x^3 + \cdots)}_{=F_1}\; \underbrace{(1 + x^2 + x^4 + x^6 + \cdots)}_{=F_2}. [/tex]
When we expand out the product we will obtain a series of powers of ##x##. How can we find the term ##c_5 x^5##, consisting of all terms in ##x^5##? These are made up of ##x^a## from factor ##F_1## and ##x^{2b}## from factor ##F_2##. We have:
[tex]\begin{array}{lcl}
c_5 x^5 & = x^5 \times x^0 = x^{5 + 0 \cdot 2} & (a = 5, b = 0) \\
& + x^3 \times x^2 = x^{3 + 1 \cdot 2} & (a=3, b=1) \\
& + x^1 \times x^4 = x^{1 + 2 \cdot 2} & (a = 1, b = 2)\\
&= 3 x^5 & \end{array}[/tex]
There are exactly three combinations of ##a, b \in \{0,1,2,\ldots \}## that give ##a + 2b = 5##.

jamesb1 said:
So far I have:
\begin{align*}
F(x) = &\frac{A}{1-x} &&+ \\
&\frac{Bx + C}{1-x^2} &&+ \\
&\frac{Dx^2 + Ex + F}{1-x^3} &&+ \\
&\frac{Gx^3 + Hx^2 + Ix + J}{1-x^4} &&+ \\
&\frac{Kx^4 + Lx^3 + Mx^2 + Nx + O}{1-x^5}
\end{align*}

Then:

\begin{align*}
x^{15} = &A(1-x^2)(1-x^3)(1-x^4)(1-x^5) &&+ \\
&(Bx + C)(1-x)(1-x^3)(1-x^4)(1-x^5) &&+ \\
&(Dx^2 + Ex + F)(1-x)(1-x^2)(1-x^4)(1-x^5) &&+ \\
&(Gx^3 + Hx^2 + Ix + J)(1-x)(1-x^2)(1-x^3)(1-x^5) &&+ \\
&(Kx^4 + Lx^3 + Mx^2 + Nx + O)(1-x)(1-x^2)(1-x^3)(1-x^4)
\end{align*}

As you can see, this does not seem to make sense. For example, in the equation above I'm getting $1=0$ when $x=1$.

What am I doing wrong?
As Ray and SammyS have suggested, partial fractions isn't the best way to go here. But I'll point out some problems with what you did in case you're still curious. First, the degree of the numerator is equal to the degree of the denominator. You want the degree of the numerator to be strictly less than the degree of the denominator. That's easy enough to deal with. Just pull the factor of ##x^{15}## off to the side for now.

The second problem is that you can't use any old factorization of the denominator. You have to factor the denominator into a product of irreducible polynomials:
$$(1-x)(1-x^2)(1-x^3)(1-x^4)(1-x^5) = -(x-1)^5(x+1)^2(x^2+1)(x^2+x+1)(x^2+ b_+ x + 1)(x^2 + b_- x + 1)$$ where ##b_\pm = \frac{1 \pm \sqrt 5}{2}##. As you can see, partial fractions looks to be tedious and messy.

Likes jamesb1
Ray Vickson said:
It is just elementary algebra, but to help you get started I will go through one case of a smaller example. Consider the smaller example
[tex] S = \frac{1}{(1-x)(1-x^2)} = \underbrace{(1 +x + x^2 + x^3 + \cdots)}_{=F_1}\; \underbrace{(1 + x^2 + x^4 + x^6 + \cdots)}_{=F_2}. [/tex]
When we expand out the product we will obtain a series of powers of ##x##. How can we find the term ##c_5 x^5##, consisting of all terms in ##x^5##? These are made up of ##x^a## from factor ##F_1## and ##x^{2b}## from factor ##F_2##. We have:
[tex]\begin{array}{lcl}
c_5 x^5 & = x^5 \times x^0 = x^{5 + 0 \cdot 2} & (a = 5, b = 0) \\
& + x^3 \times x^2 = x^{3 + 1 \cdot 2} & (a=3, b=1) \\
& + x^1 \times x^4 = x^{1 + 2 \cdot 2} & (a = 1, b = 2)\\
&= 3 x^5 & \end{array}[/tex]
There are exactly three combinations of ##a, b \in \{0,1,2,\ldots \}## that give ##a + 2b = 5##.
Wow, now that is quite interesting and it makes so much sense. Looks like I need to revise some combinatorics! Thank you again.

Related to Very long Taylor expansion/partial fraction decomposition

What is a very long Taylor expansion?

A very long Taylor expansion is a mathematical technique used to approximate a function by expressing it as an infinite sum of polynomial terms. This allows us to approximate a complicated function with a simpler one, making it easier to work with.

What is the purpose of partial fraction decomposition?

Partial fraction decomposition is used to break down a rational function (a function with a polynomial in the numerator and denominator) into simpler fractions. This can make it easier to integrate, differentiate, or evaluate the function.

How do you perform a very long Taylor expansion?

To perform a very long Taylor expansion, you start by writing out the general form of a Taylor series, which is an infinite sum of polynomial terms. Then, you use the derivatives of the function at a specific point to find the coefficients of each term in the series. Finally, you simplify the series by grouping like terms and expressing it in a more manageable form.

What is the process for partial fraction decomposition?

The process for partial fraction decomposition involves finding the unknown coefficients in the simpler fractions by equating the original rational function to the sum of the decomposed fractions. This can be done by using algebraic manipulation and solving a system of equations. Once the coefficients are found, the fractions can be combined back into the original rational function.

What are the applications of very long Taylor expansion and partial fraction decomposition in science?

Both very long Taylor expansion and partial fraction decomposition are useful techniques in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and chemistry. They can be used to approximate functions and solve differential equations, making them valuable tools in modeling and analyzing real-world phenomena.