How to Calculate Voltage Drop in a Circuit

In summary, a high school student is seeking help from senior members for their electrical engineering studies during summer break. They are currently studying from a book and have no teacher or tutor. The student is looking for assistance with a specific question about inductors and has attached their workings for review. One member suggests that the inductor value in the question is unrealistic and offers advice on approaching the problem.
peavey_wolfgang_2000
Hello Everyone, I am a High school student who would like for some of the senior members to take look at some of my workings and maybe help me out when I run into trouble.

I am presently out of school for the summer, 2 more years of high school, left where I hop to go to University to become an electrical Engineer...So I have picked up a Electrical Book at our local libary, and am doing the review questions, I have no Teacher or tutor, and am doing this on my own...I am a very strong understanding of this subject but I love to learn what I can...and the better I understand this the better i will do in University...Anyhow here is my question

Please download the attachment with my workings!

Thnaks Wolf

Attachments

• Question #2.doc
    22 KB · Views: 217
Physics news on Phys.org
It would be very helpful if you posted a specific question in the thread, rather than referring people to a Word document.

- Warren

I don't know where you got that question from, but you are not going to be working with an inductor with a value of thousands of Henries. Practical inductances range from nH to mH, with big ones in the 100mH range. Does this problem represent a real-word problem with something like a giant electromagnet in a plasma confinement system or something? BTW, it looked like you were using the correct approach to figure out the answer.

Yes I think that is the correct way, same way (with different equation) you can find out if Capacitor were connected instead of inductor.

FAQ: How to Calculate Voltage Drop in a Circuit

What is voltage drop?

Voltage drop refers to the decrease in voltage that occurs when electricity flows through a wire or other electrical component. It is a natural occurrence and can be affected by various factors such as the length and thickness of the wire, the type of material used, and the amount of current flowing through the circuit.

Why is voltage drop important?

Voltage drop is important because it can affect the performance and efficiency of an electrical system. If the voltage drop is too high, it can cause equipment to malfunction or not function at all. It can also lead to wasted energy and increased electricity costs. Therefore, it is crucial to keep voltage drop within an acceptable range.

How is voltage drop calculated?

Voltage drop is calculated using Ohm's law, which states that voltage drop is equal to the product of current and resistance. The formula for calculating voltage drop is V = IR, where V is voltage drop, I is the current in amperes, and R is the resistance in ohms. There are also online calculators and software programs available to assist with voltage drop calculations.

What causes voltage drop?

Voltage drop can be caused by a variety of factors, including the length and thickness of the wire, the type of material used, and the amount of current flowing through the circuit. Other factors that can contribute to voltage drop include poor connections, damaged or corroded wires, and inadequate wire size for the amount of current being carried.

How can voltage drop be reduced?

There are several ways to reduce voltage drop, such as using thicker wires with lower resistance, minimizing the length of the wire, and using materials with higher conductivity. Proper installation and maintenance of electrical systems can also help reduce voltage drop. In some cases, voltage drop can also be reduced by using voltage regulators or transformers.

Back