Voltage Gain of Booster Converter at 1kHz and 5kHz

In summary, the conversation discusses whether the voltage gain of a booster converter follows a linear relationship with the switching frequency. The initial hypothesis was that the voltage gain would follow a linear relationship, but through simulation results, it was found that this is not the case for both 5 kHz and 1 kHz switching frequencies. The actual experiment also showed that the voltage gain does not follow a linear relationship. The question of whether the linear relationship is affected by the duty cycle is also brought up. Finally, the conversation delves into the equations and assumptions used in the simulation.
ToonBlue

Homework Statement

Does the voltage gain follows the a linear relationship when the switching frequency is 5 kHz? and does it still follow the linear relationship when it is 1k Hz?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am doing an experiment on this and I have found out that through simulation result using a software.
When the Switching frequency is 5 kHz , it doesn't follows a linear relationship but it follow a linear relationship when it has been change to 1 kHz.

On the actual experiment itself , for both cases (switching frequency is 5kHz or 1kHz) , it doesn't follow a linear relationship.

so now I am confused. I have read on some website that for booster converter , voltage gain doesn't follow linear relationship.

Physics news on Phys.org
ToonBlue said:

Homework Statement

Does the voltage gain follows the a linear relationship when the switching frequency is 5 kHz? and does it still follow the linear relationship when it is 1k Hz?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am doing an experiment on this and I have found out that through simulation result using a software.
When the Switching frequency is 5 kHz , it doesn't follows a linear relationship but it follow a linear relationship when it has been change to 1 kHz.

On the actual experiment itself , for both cases (switching frequency is 5kHz or 1kHz) , it doesn't follow a linear relationship.

so now I am confused. I have read on some website that for booster converter , voltage gain doesn't follow linear relationship.

Can you post your simulation results and you SPICE decks? :smile:

In general . does switching frequency affect the linear relationship of voltage gain with respect to the duty cycle?

upload_2015-9-11_19-31-34.png

I would like to ask one more question. Does this consider to be a linear relationship ? It doesn't look very linear to me?

Can you label the axes? Or say what they are?

Does your simulation use real voltages for the diode and transistor switch? What about reverse recovery time of the diode, and the frequency characteristics of the transistor?

If you write the equation for the current thru the inductor at the end of the "ON" cycle, and the equation at the end of the "OFF" cycle, and realizing that the currenmt at the end of the "OFF" cycle must equal the current at the beginning of the "ON" cycle, then you can easily show that the relationship is not linear in the duty cycle δ defined as δ = "ON" time / ("ON" time + "OFF" time).

This assumes that the output voltage is constant (large output capacitor, not too large a load). "ON" means the transistor is on. Also ideal transistor and diode characteristics.

You can also show that for small δ the relationship between the duty cycle and the output voltage is approximately linear.

Related to Voltage Gain of Booster Converter at 1kHz and 5kHz

1. What is the voltage gain of a booster converter at 1kHz and 5kHz?

The voltage gain of a booster converter refers to the ratio of the output voltage to the input voltage. At 1kHz and 5kHz, the voltage gain will vary depending on the specific circuit design and components used. It is typically measured in decibels (dB) and can range from a few dB to several hundred dB.

2. How does the voltage gain of a booster converter change with frequency?

The voltage gain of a booster converter can vary with frequency due to the effects of parasitic elements, such as inductance and capacitance, and the switching frequency of the circuit. In general, the voltage gain will decrease as the frequency increases due to these factors.

3. What factors can affect the voltage gain of a booster converter?

Aside from frequency, the voltage gain of a booster converter can be affected by the type and quality of the components used, the circuit layout and design, and external factors such as temperature and voltage variations. It is important to carefully select and test components to achieve the desired voltage gain.

4. How can the voltage gain of a booster converter be improved?

To improve the voltage gain of a booster converter, one can use higher quality components with lower parasitic elements, optimize the circuit design and layout, and carefully select the switching frequency. Additionally, implementing feedback control can also improve the voltage gain by adjusting the circuit parameters in real-time.

5. What is the typical range of voltage gain for a booster converter?

The voltage gain of a booster converter can range from a few dB to several hundred dB, depending on the specific circuit design and components used. However, most commercially available booster converters have a voltage gain in the range of 10-30 dB at typical operating frequencies.