Volume, moles, density, molar mass =>separation of molecules

In summary, the exercise involves determining the order of magnitude of the ratio of separation between hydrogen molecules and lead atoms. The given information includes the volume of 1 hydrogen molecule and 1 lead molecule, as well as the ratio of their volumes. To solve the problem, one must calculate the average distance between the molecules by subtracting the size of the molecule from the size of the atoms, and then make a ratio using this information.
FelixISF

Homework Statement

I am doing an exercise from my physics book right now.
I am given:

1 molecule of hydrogen corresponds to 3.7x10^-26 m^3
1 molecule of led corresponds to 2.99x10^-29 m^3

the ratio of these volumes is 1.22x10^3

Q: Determine that the order of magnitude of the ratio separation of hydrogen molecules / separation of lead atoms is 10

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have calculated the given data i described above, this is part d of the question and i have no idea!

Physics news on Phys.org
you are talking about molecules and not atoms. Therefore, as an example hydrogen normally comes in pair, meaning "H2". If you say that this molecule is 3.7 x 10^-26 m^3, than you can find the distance that separate them, by know the size of the hydrogen atom. You do the same for the lead molecule and make a ration.

Cheers

the question is exactly the one i stated in my first post. hydrogen molecules and led atoms.
any ideas ?

Ok, you ddi not get my last post. To find the average distance between the two atoms in a molecule, you need to substract the size of the molecule by the size of the atoms. Once you have the two, make a simple ratio.

Cheers

1. What is volume?

Volume is the amount of space occupied by an object or substance. It is typically measured in units such as liters or cubic centimeters.

2. What is a mole?

A mole is a unit of measurement in chemistry that represents the amount of a substance. One mole is equal to 6.022 x 10^23 particles, which is known as Avogadro's number.

3. How is density calculated?

Density is calculated by dividing the mass of an object or substance by its volume. The resulting value is expressed in units of mass per unit volume, such as grams per cubic centimeter.

4. What is molar mass?

Molar mass is the mass of one mole of a substance. It is typically expressed in units of grams per mole and is used to convert between mass and moles of a substance in chemical reactions.

5. How does the separation of molecules relate to these concepts?

The separation of molecules can be achieved through various methods such as distillation or chromatography, which utilize the differences in properties such as volume, moles, density, and molar mass to separate the molecules. For example, distillation separates substances based on their boiling points, which are related to their molar masses. Chromatography separates substances based on their different solubilities and densities. Overall, understanding these concepts is crucial in the separation and identification of molecules in scientific research.